• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

how to deal with parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChickO'Dee

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, i searched the forums, but couldn't find anything really.
I don't necessarily want to tell my parents I'm a furry per-say, but my mom DESPISES it when i wear my tail out, or even my collar out. She actually goes as far as SCREAMING at me over it! I just wanted to know if there's ANY way to get her to back off. There's already WAY too much going on personally to have to deal with this BS, and my parents are still understanding me being gay, so I don't want to throw "furry" out there (they're BOUND to think It's a fetish for me (which it inst)) and I don't think it's any of their business. I guess this is more of a rant then anything. Has anyone ever had similar experiences with their parents, or anyone else for that matter? blah :/ sorry for being annoying.

How old are you? I'm starting to think, you should either start to tell your parents to gtfo, or stop making such a big deal out of it and keep your tail away from your folks.

Or have "the talk" with them. You know, the one about bees and elephants.

ChickO'Dee

How old are you? I'm starting to think, you should either start to tell your parents to gtfo, or stop making such a big deal out of it and keep your tail away from your folks.

Or have "the talk" with them. You know, the one about bees and elephants.

lol. 17. I DO keep my tail away from them, that's the thing >< I DON'T make a big deal out of it. I even go as far as HIDING it until im out of the house.

lol. 17. I DO keep my tail away from them, that's the thing >< I DON'T make a big deal out of it. I even go as far as HIDING it until im out of the house.
Then I really don't understand where the problem is. Your mother shouldn't even know about this.

And it's just a tail. Perhaps a sign she's overprotective/that control thing, though.

the_donut_master

Om Nom Nom Nom
Tell them if they can accept the fact that you are gay, please except the fact that you like animals enough to wear a tail around ;)

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
She probably think it's BDSM.
If you do tell her you're furry try and distinguish that it's not.

Tell them if they can accept the fact that you are gay, please except the fact that you like animals enough to wear a tail around ;)
She probably think it's BDSM.
If you do tell her you're furry try and distinguish that it's not.
wat
I'm in fucked up fetishes and I still don't understand what's up with tails.
I don't think it really compares.

ChickO'Dee

Then I really don't understand where the problem is. Your mother shouldn't even know about this.

And it's just a tail. Perhaps a sign she's overprotective/that control thing, though.

yeah, i know. and yes, she is ><' *sighs* i just ignore her. she's seen me in it twice >< that's all, and she still screams at me for it ><

blargh.

the_donut_master has a point. although I have told her it's not much different then wearing some form of jewelry to me >< bleh

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
I still don't understand what's up with tails.
Here's what's strange about me, I like fursuits and stuff but I don't like wearing just ears and tails. I just find that strange to me.

the_donut_master

Om Nom Nom Nom
I wore my tails and feet to the 7 11 once. People thought I was nuts. Lol. Won't be doing that again... I'll opt for just tail from now on.

KirbyCowFox

Muu-bitch!
When I was in my collar wearing phase, I would keep it hidden until I left the house. If you've already done that before, I'd say keep doing just that.

Panda

Chuu? Cuddles?
My mother is the same way, but she accepts that I like wearing my panda ears.
She just thinks I have an obsession.

As for the person who posted that she shouldn't even know about it, I don't think thats true.
It's a lot easier just to have something out in the open then to hide it for years and years and make it a shocker.

But anyway.
I really know your situation.
I'm pansexual and a furry.
My parents are just soooo "proud" lol

RoqsWolf

Now with 100% more ∂ e e r™
Just tell her it's a fashion thing. Also ask what's the problem with the tail.

Farelle

well....where are you going with the tail?
my first suggestion was, tell her its trend to wear such things XD

but well...it could help, if you tell us, what the hell she is screaming about it?

pervert? you are crazy? or you blame me?

i mean it makes a difference^^
and i personally think its important to tell parents about some things, just to prevent false thoughts about it...

as example, i had to tell my parents about my bdsm sexuality..>.<
well it had to, because they couldn't understand why im meeting people that are far away from home and why am i wearing a collar and such...also they've seen (my bad luck heh?) some internet pages i've visited...

so i told them....because i've seen they felt worse about it...

and i found out, that they thought i would be near drugs and sell my body for money o_O
i was a bit shocked....but parents dont inform theyself with good things^^ they get informed by bad things...because they are worried too much to see, that there is more XD

so...better tell them....
i dont know how my parents would react if i tell them about my furry thoughts too XD
but well...they think i'm strange anyway...

how old are you btw?

ChickO'Dee

but well...it could help, if you tell us, what the hell she is screaming about it?

and i personally think its important to tell parents about some things, just to prevent false thoughts about it...

well it had to, because they couldn't understand why im meeting people that are far away from home and why am i wearing a collar and such...also they've seen (my bad luck heh?) some internet pages i've visited...

and i found out, that they thought i would be near drugs and sell my body for money o_O
i was a bit shocked....but parents dont inform theyself with good things^^ they get informed by bad things...because they are worried too much to see, that there is more XD

i dont know how my parents would react if i tell them about my furry thoughts too XD

how old are you btw?

I said before, im 17. an i DID go to school a few times, but mostly i was celebrating Medieval fair. But when she REALLY got on my ass was when i wore it to Busch Gardens << which EVERYONE who saw it ADORED IT along with my fiances XD

but shes screaming about it because she doesn't "think it's appropriate". which i understand sometimes it wont be, like going to therapy n stuff, but seriosly, busch gardens!?

and btw, Panda, excuse me for my ignorance, but what's pansexual?

how old are you btw?
Interesting story, elaborate more.

The one who opened the thread is 17 years old.

I have no experience in such sorts as there are no furries here.
Except for 2 Furry trolls, and 1 fake.

Vatz

OH MAH GAWD
I wore my tails and feet to the 7 11 once. People thought I was nuts. Lol. Won't be doing that again... I'll opt for just tail from now on.

Yeah, I remember you talking about that...a bunch of black guys in a truck thought that you looked hilarious and laughed their asses off at you, right?

nedded

is a goat.
Here's my honest answer: People are afraid of the unknown.

Now, I don't know how much exposure your mom has had to the fandom; perhaps she saw CSI or Tyra Banks or something. What's more than likely is that she doesn't have a clue what the tail is about, and that scares her. She makes up all sorts of assumptions based on what she already knows (ie. that you're out of the closet, and yet you're still hiding something from her, what could be worse than being gay?)

So inform her. You don't need to stand up and make a speech. Just do little things, like leaving safe, clean, and cute furry images open in your browser, talk about anthropomorphism in the media (again, no big lectures, just that you like Disney movies or something like that), find YouTube videos of funny fursuit videos, and generally give her a positive impression of the fandom. Sure, it might be a white lie, but at least she'll stop worrying. That's what worked for me.

Vatz

OH MAH GAWD
and btw, Panda, excuse me for my ignorance, but what's pansexual?

You don't know what pansexuality is?

That's where you stick your dick in everything from plants to car-exhaust pipes to animals to jet turbines to--the list goes on and on...maybe I'd better not finish it....

You don't know what pansexuality is?

That's where you stick your dick in everything from plants to car-exhaust pipes to animals to jet turbines to--the list goes on and on...maybe I'd better not finish it....
As long as it's pretty
from the inside
the inside
yeah
I get it

ChickO'Dee

Here's my honest answer: People are afraid of the unknown.

Now, I don't know how much exposure your mom has had to the fandom; perhaps she saw CSI or Tyra Banks or something. What's more than likely is that she doesn't have a clue what the tail is about, and that scares her. She makes up all sorts of assumptions based on what she already knows (ie. that you're out of the closet, and yet you're still hiding something from her, what could be worse than being gay?)

So inform her. You don't need to stand up and make a speech. Just do little things, like leaving safe, clean, and cute furry images open in your browser, talk about anthropomorphism in the media (again, no big lectures, just that you like Disney movies or something like that), find YouTube videos of funny fursuit videos, and generally give her a positive impression of the fandom. Sure, it might be a white lie, but at least she'll stop worrying. That's what worked for me.

hmm. If me and my mom actually talked more, id do that. she does watch CSI, so she probably has seen the ep. I dont really want to tell her per-say, but at least that way she'll know its not bad :/

and about the pansexuality thing: is that really it? hm. *shrugs* you learn something new every day. not my thing, but if that suits them go for it ;)

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
MURDER.. Or move out. Your choice.

But in seriousness just don't show her you are going out in it.

T

Tewin Follow

If I had kids and they wanted to go out wearing a cape or Ash Ketchum hat or something...I'd be cool with that, and I think my only real worry would be how the world will react.
If they're with friends, they should be safe, but drawing attention to yourself in the wrong areas... Some people are fucking dicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.