• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How to get out of an art block?

Hello everyone! It seems that lately I have a lack of ideas for new drawings. I've been trying to come up with something but I didn't have any particular idea in mind. Maybe this is happening also due to a lack of motivation but I've always been able to come up with some good ideas.

Could you guys help me out with that? How do you deal with artblocks? And what you recommend me to do to get out of this situation?

Thanks for your help!

Endyran

Hoarder of plushies
Reading a book, seeing a movie or listening to music usually helps to get my back in the mood. What also helps is watching livestreams of people drawing or playing a game you like, usually that got me into a drawing mood.

Reading a book, seeing a movie or listening to music usually helps to get my back in the mood. What also helps is watching livestreams of people drawing or playing a game you like, usually that got me into a drawing mood.

Thanks for your advices! I'll try these up

music is a sure fire cure for me but if it doesnt help i get inspired by the art of the artists i love, may they be absolute strangers or my close friends! i love bright colors just look at stuff you love and feel inspired by what you see!

I also love drawing with bright colors, I'm gonna follow your advice and take a look at others art to find some inspiration. I'm pretty sure I'll come up something, thanks a lot for your advice

BunBunArt

Princess Bunny ♥
I don't force me to draw, even though it's my job. So when I'm art blocked I do other stuff like playing some games, watching some movie/show... take a walk with my dog, etc. Inspirations comes along eventually.

Narri

Will fly you around for hugs and pats
WARNING THIS IS A LONG POST OWO

NO TL;DR AT THE END LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think as artists or just general creative people, we have this expectation of how things will look in our heads at an almost unrealistic standard. When the art we create doesn't meet that standard we get disappointing in ourselves and start questioning our abilities or merit as creatives. Personally that has and is one of the biggest things that hold me back when creating.

Explore new things. If you love to draw furries don't just draw furries. Draw people, buildings, backgrounds. Then eventually bring yourself back to furries. You'll find that you understand things a lot better than before and that will give you a bit of a push to keep creating.

Locate your top 5 or 10 favorite artists. Artists you love and aspire to become like and download as much of their work as possible

For Fa There is a nifty little extension that does this for you here's the link to the chrome extention. chrome.google.com: FurAffinity Downloader

From there copy every single image you've downloaded. NEVER CLAIM THIS AS YOUR OWN ART!!!! Infact I wouldn’t even post it online. This exercise is just for practice and to start to learn how the artists you admire actually do their art. As you go through the list you’ll start to pick up on a few things and subconsciously apply them to your own art. You don’t have to copy them exactly either just enough to get a good feel for it.

I’ll link a few artists I personally admire here owo

Nicholas Kole (@nicholaskole) • Instagram photos and videos

Rodgon (@rodgontheartist) • Instagram photos and videos

CreatureBox (@creaturebox) • Instagram photos and videos

Userpage of Kitchiki -- Fur Affinity [dot] net

nyaruh on DeviantArt

Participate in art challenges that actually challenge you not just things you're already comfortable with.

Examples of different challenges are

Inktober -

Inktober — Mr Jake Parker

Sketchbook Slam- 600 pages, 30 days (One I’m gearing up for and beginning to collect references for owo)

March Of Robots

https://marchofrobots.com/

Hope at least a bit of this ramble helps you dood! For making it to the end have a cookie! *Gives you a cookie*

I try to look at my art and feel what I have the most difficulty doing or improving.
So I draw a lot, buy some gumroads on the subject of difficulty.
Currently, I bought one for environment, and another for acting, it's been great.

In doubt practice perspective and organic forms whenever possible.

I'll keep your advice in mind, thanks a lot for helping me out!!

I don't force me to draw, even though it's my job. So when I'm art blocked I do other stuff like playing some games, watching some movie/show... take a walk with my dog, etc. Inspirations comes along eventually.

Thanks for your help, I'll try these activities to get more in the mood

WARNING THIS IS A LONG POST OWO

NO TL;DR AT THE END LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think as artists or just general creative people, we have this expectation of how things will look in our heads at an almost unrealistic standard. When the art we create doesn't meet that standard we get disappointing in ourselves and start questioning our abilities or merit as creatives. Personally that has and is one of the biggest things that hold me back when creating.

Explore new things. If you love to draw furries don't just draw furries. Draw people, buildings, backgrounds. Then eventually bring yourself back to furries. You'll find that you understand things a lot better than before and that will give you a bit of a push to keep creating.

Locate your top 5 or 10 favorite artists. Artists you love and aspire to become like and download as much of their work as possible

For Fa There is a nifty little extension that does this for you here's the link to the chrome extention. chrome.google.com: FurAffinity Downloader

From there copy every single image you've downloaded. NEVER CLAIM THIS AS YOUR OWN ART!!!! Infact I wouldn’t even post it online. This exercise is just for practice and to start to learn how the artists you admire actually do their art. As you go through the list you’ll start to pick up on a few things and subconsciously apply them to your own art. You don’t have to copy them exactly either just enough to get a good feel for it.

I’ll link a few artists I personally admire here owo

Nicholas Kole (@nicholaskole) • Instagram photos and videos

Rodgon (@rodgontheartist) • Instagram photos and videos

CreatureBox (@creaturebox) • Instagram photos and videos

Userpage of Kitchiki -- Fur Affinity [dot] net

nyaruh on DeviantArt

Participate in art challenges that actually challenge you not just things you're already comfortable with.

Examples of different challenges are

Inktober -

Inktober — Mr Jake Parker

Sketchbook Slam- 600 pages, 30 days (One I’m gearing up for and beginning to collect references for owo)

March Of Robots

https://marchofrobots.com/

Hope at least a bit of this ramble helps you dood! For making it to the end have a cookie! *Gives you a cookie*

It may be long but I find all of the advice you gave me very useful, In fact I'm gonna try all of these up!

Sometimes it happens that something in my art looks quite off for me, expecially on hard drawings but I'm glad I was able to draw something like that.

I also tried a couple of times "Copying" other's drawings a couple of years ago, and I found it very good for improving, though don't you worry, I never posted those.

Thanks again for all of your help, I'm gonna experiment things up and go out of my comfort zone and try new challenges if that means that it's gonma make me a better artist :D!

Thanks for the cookie anyway!! *eats it*

I remembered a chart that can help everyone
So, stay hungry.

tumblr_nmgsuyPuHa1qh8t5wo1_1280.pnj

Hail-Purity

Cat-Lover
i get art block alot but usually i just doodle random things or do free art for people to warm up because seeing people get happy about getting art boosts my mood alot ^^