• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How to make my mouth open WIDE

Hi, I and currently planning my second fursuit head. Its going to be a thylacine, an extinct marsupial, and one thing they are known to do is called a gape. They could open their jaws around 80 degrees as a threat display. I know it might not be possible, but is there any way anyone can think of that would let me open a fursuit mouth that wide? Not all the time when talking, but as a demonstration?

Faexie

Rara for short :)
You could make it so that the head's mouth is openend when your jaw is closed, so it can be opened even further?

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
If you could somehow make it unhingeable but still held together, you could manually pull it down and let it sit against your chest?

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
My suit has a jaw that opens quite wide. As a Sabertooth, this is a desireable thing. I can give you the answer for a dollar. ;)
Actually, what I did was make a strap-on bottom jaw that is separate from the head. I have a jaw that is awesomely sensative to nuance moves like chewing, etc.

My suit has a jaw that opens quite wide. As a Sabertooth, this is a desireable thing. I can give you the answer for a dollar. ;)
Actually, what I did was make a strap-on bottom jaw that is separate from the head. I have a jaw that is awesomely sensative to nuance moves like chewing, etc.
That sounds interesting. I’m quiet interested in knowing exactly how you worked that.

VX666

The Foxy Goddess
You may need remote control servos for this.

A motor that can crank the jaw open that wide and you may need to build a lot of mechanical trusses and such