• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How to revive the forums

Felix Bernard

Chemist, Conservative, Mark Levin fan
Political polarity, trolls, bitterness, arguments, lack of moderation.

This is my second time being active on the forums. I remember it was kept in much better order last winter when I was here. But now such order seems to be fading, and we are losing some members.

But I want to stand up and say: this is not how it has to be.
What we furries ought to be about is unity. We are a community. Discussion and civil debate is fine, but when the moderation isn’t going so well to stop the bad guys, I suggest we better not crawl into or holes or leave the forums. This will only make it worse for visitors or new comers. We should stand up together against the bad trolls. When debate becomes hostile, we should turn our cheeks and respond with love and compassion.
Is this how we want the world to view us furries - always at eachother’s throats? Or can we stand up and together be a community which allows for any and all opinions, backgrounds, cultures, religions, and political views to be within its midst?

I am not trying to be a hero. But we need more leadership on these forums, if not from the moderators, from those among us.

I hope I’m not the only one to say we need to love eachother more.

ResolutionBlaze

Angry Local
Banned
Dragoneer is better off plucking random volenteers.

ResolutionBlaze

Angry Local
Banned
We need orderliness. The forum has been left to Chaos with one guy popping his head in occasionally to pick up a few pieces of garbage in the burning city.

We need someone with more responsibility and potential. More time on their hands. Visits more frequently. More people at different timezones. So on.

Dragoneer promised us new mods but I dont see them.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
I am really glad you are here sir, I would make second in command to rule my banner!

But for real the answer to fix it simple. As you said turning another cheek and instead of pulling each other tails we should pet it. For example i have got into few arguments with mister Bahgdaddy as our political views are completely different which is shameful for both of us as it made us look like primitive, he of course does not need to see it like this.

Politics are usually causing arguments but that is nothing new obviously

If i would have to choose the "ruler" i would go for you! You are smart, caring and calm. Something this forum would need.
I can lead and command but i would be way too radical for this forum.

Now when we have it of our chest shall we have a smoke together?

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Political polarity, trolls, bitterness, arguments, lack of moderation.

This is my second time being active on the forums. I remember it was kept in much better order last winter when I was here. But now such order seems to be fading, and we are losing some members.

But I want to stand up and say: this is not how it has to be.
What we furries ought to be about is unity. We are a community. Discussion and civil debate is fine, but when the moderation isn’t going so well to stop the bad guys, I suggest we better not crawl into or holes or leave the forums. This will only make it worse for visitors or new comers. We should stand up together against the bad trolls. When debate becomes hostile, we should turn our cheeks and respond with love and compassion.
Is this how we want the world to view us furries - always at eachother’s throats? Or can we stand up and together be a community which allows for any and all opinions, backgrounds, cultures, religions, and political views to be within its midst?

I am not trying to be a hero. But we need more leadership on these forums, if not from the moderators, from those among us.

I hope I’m not the only one to say we need to love eachother more.

I'd agree, only I think we need to enforce the rules, and TOS: so that if an opinion is to harm others, or call them inferior, or engage in hate speech, I don't think this should be tolerated.

I do think we should love each other more, but we also need to follow the forum rules.

On a more comical note:

S

Sagt

A lot of the time we don't need lots of moderators. It's only at certain periods that things get really bad, to the point where we need someone to deal with shit ASAP throughout the day or week. For that reason, I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of way to communicate to the moderators when they're offline, so that they know when they need to come back to the forum to dedicate more time for a period. That's just in the short-term, though. Long-term, I'd like to see a greater number of moderators, like we were promised. If possible, it would be good if these new moderators were from different regions of the globe, with varying timezones, so that most times of the day would be covered.

On a slightly related note, I really dislike how ungrateful people on this forum are to our moderator. I feel like the hosility is probably a big disincentive for using the forum casually, instead of only as a staff member. (I'm not saying it's on this thread specifically, but there's generally a lot of it throughout the forum when times get frustrating on here.)

I get that the forum doesn't get cleaned up fast enough as is, but you can't blame this on the guy every time. We have a single person acting as a volunteer (presumably with other commitments) pulling the weight for this forum; it should just be expected that he isn't going to be online all the time. IIRC, Quoting recieved a somewhat similar treatment (though, it was better with her, since there were two moderators rather than just one), until she resigned, and then suddenly some people decided to show some kindness.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 111470

We can start by not responding to obviously provocative threads and controversial topics. You're not gonna change the poster's mind and you're not going to prove anything by arguing with them.

I often feel discouraged from browsing through the forum when the top 5 newest posts are all from the same people made in the same pointless argument threads.

This isn't really a problem coming from lack of moderators anymore. Even if there were 1 000 moderators the best course of action would be to report the person posting provocative shit, perhaps block them and let it go. Replying to those "dumpster fire" threads, as they're called, isn't making the forum environment any better.

S

Sagt

Maybe I'm desensitised after the time, a few months ago, that someone uploaded a nude of himself on Open Chat and then made a thread just to upload a gif of beastiality... but right now seems fairly mild.

There's like three low-effort trolls, and a few contentious threads that have stayed up for too long. I'd tend to agree with Rimna that a lot of damage is done by the people who put more attention on the nasty threads by engaging with them, whatever the intentions might be, instead of moving on.

Xavier Fox

My suggestion box.

1. Active mods, share the load/responsibility.
2. Stop siphoning off members to Discord servers.
3. Ghost mode for spammers/trolls so they can post away unaware we can't see their stuff.
4. Encouraging more people to post by having less threads about some form of sexual/yiff content that's designed to test boundaries, making all Furries look like sexual deviants.
5. We could actually reply to normal threads more as well, rather than the confrontational/dodgy ones.

Xavier Fox

I'd also like to add, that as a new furry finding somewhere you can call home to chat and connect with other Furries is actually quite difficult.

In the UK we had a site called UKFur. About 2 years ago it appears to have become much, much quieter with everyone leaving to use social media platforms.
Finding Furries with similar interests on discord, Telegram, forums, Twitter, Facebook groups etc... means we are very fragmented as a fandom IMO.

A good forum like this has a LOT of potential.
But it also needs a lot of time and contributions from the community to work.

M

Massan Otter

Maybe I'm desensitised after the time, a few months ago, that someone uploaded a nude of himself on Open Chat and then made a thread just to upload a gif of beastiality... but right now seems fairly mild.

There's like three low-effort trolls, and a few contentious threads that have stayed up for too long. I'd tend to agree with Rimna that a lot of damage is done by the people who put more attention on the nasty threads by engaging with them, whatever the intentions might be, instead of moving on.

At least one of the current "low effort trolls" is that guy with the nudes and beastiality pics from a couple of months back, and the mods have acted on insignificant stuff while leaving his threads and profile active. As much as people say we criticise the mods too much, I'd say it is justified at times like this.

S

Sagt

At least one of the current "low effort trolls" is that guy with the nudes and beastiality pics from a couple of months back, and the mods have acted on insignificant stuff while leaving his threads and profile active.
It's just that, it's one guy doing pretty much everything, and we certainly give him a lot of work. As a volunteer, he recieves no pay for what he does, but members of this forum do seem to feel it necessary to make all kinds of disparaging comments directed at him when things get frustrating.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame one person, since the workload should really be more shared between more people. Have to keep in mind that he probably has his own commitments in real life too.

As much as people say we criticise the mods too much
I think my post was actually the first time someone brought this up, or at least recently. It's not like a widespread thing. Everyone else is seemingly either quiet or onboard with putting down the people that moderate the forum.

Also, it's not just about being overly critical of the moderation, it's also that it's a very rare occurence for anyone to say 'Thank you'.

This is a fairly small community. Imo, a community should have some level of respect to the people that help make it work.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
It's just that, it's one guy doing pretty much everything, and we certainly give him a lot of work. As a volunteer, he recieves no pay for what he does, but members of this forum do seem to feel it necessary to make all kinds of disparaging comments directed at him when things get frustrating.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame one person, since the workload should really be more shared between more people. Have to keep in mind that he probably has his own commitments in real life too.

I think my post was actually the first time someone brought this up, or at least recently. It's not like a widespread thing. Everyone else is seemingly either quiet or onboard with putting down the people that moderate the forum.

Also, it's not just about being overly critical of the moderation, it's also that it's a very rare occurence for anyone to say 'Thank you'.

This is a fairly small community. Imo, a community should have some level of respect to the people that help make it work.

Yeah, honestly there's a lot of stuff on this forum that it's completely unfair to expect a moderator to deal with.

They should only really expect to have to ban corporate spam bots and trolls trying to make fun of furries. x3

A

ArtyLoop

The time and age of forums has passed. The action now, or rather, interesting activity now takes place in Discord and in Telegram groups

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
The time and age of forums has passed. The action now, or rather, interesting activity now takes place in Discord and in Telegram groups

Eh. Almost all discord servers are very inactive, and I feel bad about using these platforms because criminals are known to use them to organise.