• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How to think of a good username

S

silveredgreen

But i'm just gonna say, lets not start another dumpster fire in this thread. It was a simple question that recieved a legitimate answer and we should have left it at that.

wolvykasu

Gijinka lover
I usually choose to go on google translate and I choose words that I like in other languages. After this, I tend to mix languages and words-play

for instance : Wolvy come from Wolf that I made cuter
Kasu : comes from Kazu, the japanese word for 'number' that I just changed a letter

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
I have a question, do you enjoy attacking people and shoving your nose into other people's business? Like is it a new furry fetish I'm unaware of?
Nicknames can be incredibly hard to make, or they can just go "Boop", and there you have it. Keep at it, mate.

You should check out foreign languages if you haven't already.
http://www.yorku.ca/inpar/language/English-Old_Norse.pdf
I'd recommend you check out Old Norse. Who knows, you may find something you like.

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
Nicknames can be incredibly hard to make, or they can just go "Boop", and there you have it. Keep at it, mate.

You should check out foreign languages if you haven't already.
http://www.yorku.ca/inpar/language/English-Old_Norse.pdf
I'd recommend you check out Old Norse. Who knows, you may find something you like.

If you're wondering, I cant really use words from my native language because most username services do not allow "special characters" (no accent characters or non-latin characters) and removing those doesn't really work.

Dongding

The sheep
Maybe try a clever play on words or simply a single-word concept you respect the merits of.

Edit: Probably a bad person to take name advice from...

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
If you're wondering, I cant really use words from my native language because most username services do not allow "special characters" (no accent characters or non-latin characters) and removing those doesn't really work.
Indeed. A lot of sites/whatever only allow English-specific letters.

Check out foreign names and translate them to English.
Mix things you like.
Make up names.
Use name lists.

S

Steelite

Try writing words backward. That's what I do when I can't get anything to feel right.
  • Kangaroo => Ooragnak
  • Minotaur => Ruatonim
  • Snake => Ekans
  • Dragon => Nogard
  • Serpent => Tnepres
  • Creator => Rotaerc
  • Maker => Rekam
  • Commander => Rednammoc
  • Universalist => Tsilasrevinu
  • Divine => Enivid
  • Crimson => Nosmirc
  • Azure => Reuza
  • Abyss => Ssyba
  • Dark Soul => Luos'krad
  • Elder Scroll => Llorcs'Redle
  • Fortune => Enutrof
  • Prosperity => Ytirepsorp
These are just random words I came up with that may sound decent enough (a bit too fantasy-ish though) for a name when written backward. You can try using words that describe your trait, personality, etc, then add the backward version of them together.

ChromaticRabbit

lagomorphic
Banned
I don't really understand what you are saying.
Yes obviously it has to be something that is personal.
I have a few themes in mind.

But I don't know the method of actually developing something that is good. Because you cant just shove words and phrases together and make it be decent,
I guess I don't understand the obstacle. For me, the idea of the name is the hard part because it's what would ideally be spiritually true, and that takes some self-knowledge. Mechanistically manipulating words into some suitable name is just an exercise in language, and so, no deep thought needed.

Perhaps, if you'd like to share those themes that you selected, or list what suitable names you previously arrived at but were already taken, we could help you bridge that last part of this process by suggesting some specific names that seem most fitting. At this point, I suppose that you could either press forward or just wait for inspiration to strike when it may.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I like a simple, easy to pronounce name. These also tend to be easier for people to remember. It took me ages to stumble upon Simo, but when I did, it just felt right.

It's a highly personal thing, and I make no judgement on names, though I will say when I see names that have tons of consonants and hardly a vowel in sight and that one has no idea how to pronounce, I tend to remember these less. This seemed like something of a trend, for a bit, or so I was convinced! : P

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
I like a simple, easy to pronounce name. These also tend to be easier for people to remember. It took me ages to stumble upon Simo, but when I did, it just felt right.

It's a highly personal thing, and I make no judgement on names, though I will say when I see names that have tons of consonants and hardly a vowel in sight and that one has no idea how to pronounce, I tend to remember these less. This seemed like something of a trend, for a bit, or so I was convinced! : P

I agree with you for that. I think memorable usernames are important for an artist, otherwise nobody will know how to get to your page...

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I agree with you for that. I think memorable usernames are important for an artist, otherwise nobody will know how to get to your page...

Yeah, I'm making this name up, but I've seen ones that look like, "Mtyzrslst", and such names tend to be pretty hard to remember!

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
i still stand by the ever-proven StrongBad method of username acquisition:

Just take your favorite hobby, add "kid", "grrl", "pie" or "-izzle" and then put a bunch of numbers at the end.

B

BahgDaddy

I need a new username, I don't like my current one, and on DA I have to spell it with an L so people don't tag me correctly.

I thought of one username but it was taken. So now I am back with no ideas.

How do you come up with a decent username?
(by decent i mean no numbers, no multiple words unless they fit nicely, no replacing letters with numbers or other letters.)

NotActuallyInterestedInOtherPeoplesOpinions666.

ChromaticRabbit

lagomorphic
Banned
But I don't know the method of actually developing something that is good. Because you cant just shove words and phrases together and make it be decent,
I don't have a lot of good ideas for methodology. Generally, if you're not brainstorming anything, then you could let an algorithm do that, and see if anything it spits back out feels right.

www.fantasynamegenerators.com: Kaiju name generator
www.fantasynamegenerators.com: Nephilim name generator
www.fantasynamegenerators.com: Assyrian name generator
www.fantasynamegenerators.com: Species name generator

This might not be any better than looking over a list of names. If you browse around that site, you'll see they have a lot more like the above. At this point, we're basically generating noise to see if anything pops out of your mind while reading it. That might be a useful method. Not so much about a random name, but a constrained random set of related names selected by suitability or 'teh feels.'

And yet another approach for thinking about the final name-word selection could be syllable counts, accented syllables, rhythm, and rhyme and how you want it to feel and flow as it is read. If you have that sort of poetic-minded streak.

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
Just throw something descriptive in front of a noun and call it good. Bonus points if it reflects your personality. Extra bonus points if it's something rather uncouth and you can get it by mods/language filters.

PompusEdgelord
SelfHatingCuck
OpinionatedTwit
SelfRighteousBunghole
EvangelizingCurmudgeon
BelongsOnTheShortBus
ConfusedAboutCompassion
InsecureTwit
DeeplyHeldNapoleonComplex
ImmatureBogan
LordOfTheMongoloids

stargazingdreamer

i find usernames easier when i like take from things that come from a bits and parts of my life or interests - like a oc name plus another noun. or something cutsey adj and noun. Random kind of seems the best way to be sure its not taken but idk. It's really preference to what makes a good username

RhelArts

catboy connoisseur
"boi" instead of "boy"
- Capitalized first word but not second
- underscore
- xxx
- unoriginal
- "lover"
- no space or break between the last word and xxx

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

quoting_mungo

Inkblooded, please expand on what you might consider for a username, so people can have a better idea of what you're looking for. Maybe explain where "inkblooded" came from? Anything that can help people better help you. I think there was also a "where did your username come from?" thread somewhere on the forums that might help give you an idea of how people come up with unique online handles.

Those of you taking the piss, please stop. We get it, you don't like Inkblooded for one reason or another. Going out of your way to be a dick about it doesn't help anyone, it just ends up wasting everyone's time, including mine since I have to tell you to knock it off. If the mere sight of them irritates you enough to make you sink to cheap potshots, block them so you won't have to see their posts anymore.

Extra bonus points if it's something rather uncouth and you can get it by mods/language filters.
Please don't advise people to do things that create more work for us. It's rude and unnecessary. I promise, we're not sitting here twiddling our thumbs with nothing to do.

E

ellaerna

I usually go the "mashing names together until it sounds okay" route.

My current user is just two names mashed together, but likely gets points taken off since it could be hard to pronounce. I haven't even decided how I'd want to say it.

On FA I'm curiosin which was just me fucking about with the word "curiosity". Only afterwards did I find out that curiosin is actually some weird wound ointment stuff, so egg on my face. Maybe you shouldn't be taking advice from me...

Another fav is 20000names.com where I search a meaning and see all the different names from other languages. Or I just browse by language if there's one I know I want.

Even if you can't/don't want to use special characters, you can find ways around that. Even without the accent everyone knows that touche is touché. Just try it and see what looks right to you.

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
Ihatefemboysbutmyprofilepictotalylookslikeone69xxx

I don't see any ugly legwarmers or revealing clothing, I think you need an eye test.

Just throw something descriptive in front of a noun and call it good. Bonus points if it reflects your personality. Extra bonus points if it's something rather uncouth and you can get it by mods/language filters.

PompusEdgelord
SelfHatingCuck
OpinionatedTwit
SelfRighteousBunghole
EvangelizingCurmudgeon
BelongsOnTheShortBus
ConfusedAboutCompassion
InsecureTwit
DeeplyHeldNapoleonComplex
ImmatureBogan
LordOfTheMongoloids

Perhaps I should mention that I am an artist looking for a username on dA not a 15 year old teenage gamer boy looking for a Reddit username

Inkblooded, please expand on what you might consider for a username, so people can have a better idea of what you're looking for. Maybe explain where "inkblooded" came from? Anything that can help people better help you. I think there was also a "where did your username come from?" thread somewhere on the forums that might help give you an idea of how people come up with unique online handles.

My current username is based on my old character who had a very dark blood color. But I don't use that character anymore.
It is technically two words but used as one. So it's not something like FurryLover which is two words and doesn't blend, it's meant to be intended as a singular word. Does that make sense?

I won't consider anything overly long, full of numbers, underscores, XxXxx. (But I may consider a hyphen, since DA allows those.)