• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How would you raise your kids?

FlynnCoyote

Takin it slow.
I'd raise them to be functional and productive. Their hobbies are up to them, but I won't hide my own.

White Lycan

I don't have children, but I plan on it one day, and as far as I am concerned, yes of course the child will have questions, cause I am not going to hide it. There is nothing wrong with the majority of the fandom, and as long as they know what it is, they will not be alarmed by it. By the time they get old enough to start feeling embarrassed or self-conscious about it, they will also have learned that there are something things that other people are not going to like about you. But if you change that about yourself, then you are not you anymore. You are a conglomeration of what everybody else thinks is perfect or 'cool' and this is a road to disaster. If my child deliberately listens to what other people think, then it is my job to talk to them about it. That is how I was raised, to not worry about what other people thought. Cause I personally was a nerd, and I know that I was treated that way because they hated my intellect and it made them feel inferior. And look at me now, I am a great man, and doing great. My offspring need not worry about these things. When the time comes to cross that bridge, they will ready, with me by there side.

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
I will raise them like a parent should raise their child. They will respect their elders, have manners, be thankful for what they have, and know that if they act up they will not just get away with it. The fandom shouldn't have anything to do with how children are raised.

Furryjones

I'm planning to have a litter of my own lol, but I'll raise them to be proper human beings, with respect and manners and what not. And I will not hide the fact that I'm furry from them, if they become interested in the fandom as well all power to them, if not so be it we'll find another hobby we can share :3

Skrappy

When I have children, I'd want to raise them in a better environment than I grew up in. This means I'll probably have them once I've complete a postgraduate degree of some sort, and once I'm in an economically stable situation. As far as how I'd raise them, I'd do so in a way that prepares them for the hardships they may encounter. I can't surely say much more than that.

Bipolar Bear

Phallus Fellater
which was how?

My Mom raised me on bands such as Pearl Jam, Genesis, Rush, Rolling Stones, Lead Zeppelin etc. So at least I was raised on good music. My parents didn't actually do any raising, to be honest. They just let me fumble my way through life, and they'd give me guidence every now and then. Most of my influences come from the people around me. The environment, the people, the lifestyles... It was almost as if the world was raising me.

Now look at me. I'm a 18-year-old Homosexual Metalhead Furry with an open-mind, a big heart and plenty to learn. If I ever was going to have kids, I would let them raise themselves.

Zephyre

Zephyr
if you take your fandom so far that you actually try to push it onto your kids you need professional help and you shouldnt have kids. because that would go beyond a mere obsession.

Woah, woah, slow down there big guy. I'm not saying that, I was simply curious as to how others would deal. Personally, I would probably just forget about the fandom.

Zephyre

Zephyr
How the fuck does liking anthro people affect your parenting skills?

It hopefully wouldn't affect it at all. I'm just curious as to how it would work for other people, as in, would they leave the fandom, hide the fact, or act like it's "normal", even though to other people not in the fandom, it isn't.

TheDiesel

The Fanciest
As how I joined the fandom, it is by choice. I would let my kids whenever they reached a certain age know of the fandom, and let them do as they please with that information. It is above all reason their choice to accept or refuse the fandom, not mine.

Zephyre

Zephyr
Jeepers, I'm not sure anyone would try and shove the fandom down their child's throat. Even though my own mother admitted that she wished that she had done so with her religion when I was little, so what that says about her parenting... :V

Dokid

If I ever have kids someday (since I'm 17 I'm thinking realllly in the future) I would raise them to be open, have manners, and that weird isn't necessarily bad. The fandom wouldn't even come into play minus the whole drawing animal people. I would still participate in forums, websites, etc. But I would forgo my convention going.

Otherwise I would just raise them and not shove anything down their throats and let them find their way on what they want while still giving them help whenever they needed it.

MitchZer0

By staying indoors and being a chronic masturbater locked in his room 20/7, not having any interaction with any real women.

I learn how to program AI and they can be my family, after all computers will never leave you.

badlands

drunken pirate

ScaredToBreathe

Special Snowflake
I'm not planning on kids, I'm more of the "eccentric aunt" type.
But if I do have kids, I'm going to raise them be be polite and respectful, but also to stand up for themselves if they need to. The only kind of different thing I would do to raise them is not shove their gender in their faces by insisting they only wear "girl clothes" or that they only play with "boy toys". They won't be gender neutral, but I never want them to feel any less than who they are.

if you take your fandom so far that you actually try to push it onto your kids you need professional help and you shouldnt have kids. because that would go beyond a mere obsession.
i remember a woman on deviant art who named her baby after my little pony characters... FFS, how dont you see that this is a terrible idea?! DX
being a furry is a hobby. its not a lifestyle and it is most definitely not some sort of sexual orientation that you need to educate your kids about. you wouldnt try to make your adopted child gay if you are gay yourself, right? right...? (please say you wouldnt do it :c)
there are certain hobbies where it would make sense to get your child into it. like reading, painting or model building. but an obsession with cartoon animals doesnt fall into that category.

so i would say dont mention it at all and if the child finds out that you like cartoon critters dont make a big deal out of it. make it look like something normal and not like something freaky that you are totally crazy about...

I think a fragment of me just died.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Raise them to be a productive and respectful member of society.
Isn't that how they all should be raised as?

Dokid

I'm not planning on kids, I'm more of the "eccentric aunt" type.
But if I do have kids, I'm going to raise them be be polite and respectful, but also to stand up for themselves if they need to. The only kind of different thing I would do to raise them is not shove their gender in their faces by insisting they only wear "girl clothes" or that they only play with "boy toys". They won't be gender neutral, but I never want them to feel any less than who they are.

This! I can't stand it when my mom shoves all this "girls carry purses and wallets made for women. Girls can't do this. No you can't wear that because it's from the guy's section"

I would let my kids dress in whatever they like and play with whatever they like. If my little girl wanted to play with gundam and army men then go ahead. If my little boy wanted to play with a kitchen set or a doll then go ahead. It really shouldn't matter.

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.
I'm nowhere near ready and the thought of it scares me.

I guess I'd raise them as my parents raised me. Stern, but always letting them know that I love them. I'd be more open-minded about their decisions, though.

Jaxinc

Regret nothing:Deny everything
I wouldn't raise them how parents are today for starters...