• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How's the scientific process on real life anthropomorphic beings coming?

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
To make a long story short:
1) There is no scientific reason to practice this endeavor other than "SCIENCE!" or a rich scientist deciding to fund research of their fetishes something hard. No incentive, gain, practicality, or so-on. At best you can argue it allows for us to have more information in regard to playing chop-shop with human bodies, but that's it. Any possible "advantage" (herp-derp STRENGTH OF BURRS, NOSE OF A WULF, EYES OF A BURD!) of such work? Unless we're living in some shitty comic-book universe, totally not necessary to make someone into an anthropomorphic animal first. Assuming we even both with fleshybits and don't go the route of cybernetics (which, while still a fair bit off, at least have some research being put into them as a mean of replacing damaged or lost limbs / organs).

2) Even if there is research put into it and the process does exist, it'll always be a process that's extremely resource, cost, and time-extensive (if speaking about changing pre-existing people), and hilariously morally dubious otherwise (speaking of fetal modifications). Why do I say this? In the latter case, it's akin to changing your child's sex, race, and a whole bunch of other stuff on an absolute whim at best, and at worst is outright making a mockery of what may be their wishes. Imagine for example if your mother decided "You know what would be bitching? If my child were an anthropomorphic toaster-fly." You would not be amused when you learned that such doesn't occur naturally, and your parents were dicks. And in the former? You're totally reconstructing the vast majority of your body. Skeletal structure, epidermis, hormones, muscles, nervous system... a lot of this needs major work at best, complete rebuilding from the ground up at worst. And once this process is done? Congrats, you now have years of physical therapy to look forward to.

And this is talking about the final, mastered variety (yes, that'd still need therapy: Rebuilding legs, your spine, and your skull tends to leave you vulnerable for a bit). Before it's mastered? Have fun with needing to report to a professional constantly so as to make sure your body isn't rejecting anything, that there's no complications involving the grafts / hormones / implants, that your skeletal structure isn't about to fall apart where it was changed... Long story short you'd be investing millions of USD-equivalent and - considering how long sex transitions can take and that this will be worse - probably decades of your life to the process. So yeah, you can be that anthro you always dreamed of... if rich, rich and young, and you don't mind the process completing as fairly far into your life (likely half of your life behind you).

3) When it finally comes out, and you get to rub in people's faces "Fursecution!"? Not going to happen. Why? Because of the above. If you're rich as fuck and can afford this process, as well as have a slew of professionals trained in it? You're probably not going to see anything particularly worse than the (admittedly bad) treatment of transexuals in the US now. And if it's actually affordable, or done via a process that doesn't take away much of your life (like most people here hope it'll be)? Congrats, if it's something that is medically as simple as a modern nose-job, it'll also probably be as societally tolerated as a nose-job. You don't reach a stage in cosmetic surgery where it costs only a few (tens of) thousands of dollars and a couple weeks / months with people threatening to murder you if you complete the process.

Grimfang999

Im onl going to reply to your first point, there are advantages. The scientific research being done is being used to cure disease and find ways of producing body parts for transplants. There are some really massive benefits. Using it to make yourself a furry though? Yeah probably wont happen, and genetic perfection could cause massive divides in society unless it is provided to everyone who wanted it, but capitalism wouldnt allow that.

Rigby

Diaperfurs 4 Lyfe

your post is pretty much useless since literally nobody (except Chuckles McFuckface who responded before me) said any of those things or disagreed with you at all. We're talking about a consenting adult receiving plastic ssurgery so they could have the physical (not genetic) characteristics of an animal. Not a child, not so they could have superpowers, not anything to do with fursecution or anything you mention.

Last edited:

Ricky

Or a dog with a feather duster for a body, if we're talking about pomeranians.

It would make sense if you were to stick a broomstick up its ass.

Then at least it would serve a purpose.

Nobody ever does that, though :roll:

your post is pretty much useless since literally nobody (except Chuckles McFuckface who responded before me) said any of those things or disagreed with you at all.

He was giving a scientific critique of science that doesn't even exist yet.

Talk about jumping the gun...

Dokid

For the OP there was this one guy in the states that got extensive cosmetic surgery to look like a cat he even had fake wiskers implanted but as of now science doesn't have a way to do what your talking about. We are at the point where you can have the markings tattooed onto your skin fake wiskers much like a dermal piercing and some implants but it is basically all fake. Maybe one day science will find a way to alter dna to make you grow fur and a real tail but I'm pretty sure that it would be the lowest thing on the list that scientist would end up doing. As said some posts above me the focus is more on life saving medical science instead of cosmetic modification.

The guy also killed himself recent(sorta) and he worked from home and had to get surgeries done out the USA.

Attaman

Im onl going to reply to your first point, there are advantages.
And absolutely zero involve you having literal bear-arms for greater strength, or cat ears for improved hearing. Which was my point: You can get some benefits from "related" research, but none of it will have the desired results oh-so-many furries want (See: Furry master-race).
We're talking about a consenting adult receiving plastic ssurgery so they could have the physical (not genetic) characteristics of an animal.
Which, uh, kinda plays entirely into #2 and #3.

Rigby

Diaperfurs 4 Lyfe
Which, uh, kinda plays entirely into #2 and #3.

Well, if you're an idiot and have no concept of logic, then you're right, those are points! But let's start with number two that basically said "it'd be expensive." Who cares? I've got the money, let me do it. It's "immoral"? I was born immoral, hasn't stopped me yet.

Point two gets just stupid. Affecting your child's DNA? What? How does plastic surgery do that exactly? Let me break it to you: it doesn't do that at all. Doing that to children or infants? No one even mentioned that at all. Straw. Man. Besides that, just a bunch of personal problems. I doubt the eccentric rich dude who has himself turned into a wolf cares how much physical therapy there is if he can live out his fantasy. And if he comes to regret, his fucking fault; we don't make tattoos illegal because someone might regret it.

And point three I already covered, both here and in my first response to you. I was doing you a favor by not pointing out how awful your reading comprehension was on a point by point basis because it makes no sense. You're the first person to mention 80% of these things, they have nothing to do with the discussion (what does turning a baby into a cat have to do with a consenting adult intentionally electing to have this procedure? nothing? kinda insane to even bring it up at all then). Dude, just stop, really, you are playing with forces beyond your kin.

Last edited:

Attaman

Well, if you're an idiot and have no concept of logic, then you're right, those are points! But let's start with number two that basically said "it'd be expensive."
So you admit to not having read it at all, and are just going to respond to what you think / hope I said instead of what I actually said?

Point two gets just stupid. Affecting your child's DNA? What? How does plastic surgery do that exactly?
You have the reading comprehension of a goldfish. Seek professional help.

And if he comes to regret, his fucking fault; we don't make tattoos illegal because someone might regret it.
I take the above back. Goldfish have greater reading comprehension than you. Don't ever sign any papers without letting someone else read over them for you.

Dude, just stop, really, you are playing with forces beyond your kin.
I'll use an example to try getting the idea in your head easier: Smashing a vase with a hammer to remake into a different vase is a bitch to do. And unless you've got an expert, you'll probably be stuck with a broken vase and lots of glue.

Ricky

Did rigby just compare the ideas of gene therapy or plastic surgery to getting a tattoo? Hahaha

No, not gene therapy:

We're talking about a consenting adult receiving plastic ssurgery so they could have the physical (not genetic) characteristics of an animal. Not a child, not so they could have superpowers, not anything to do with fursecution or anything you mention.

And not "comparing ideas;" he was referring to an adult regretting an informed decision they make.

I agree. Who fucking cares.

It's almost like you skimmed through everything, saw the words "genetic," "plastic surgery" and "tattoo," then hit the reply button :p

CatterHatter

The Grain of Salt
Alright. So...
[insert witty statement to make myself look smart and funny here]
[insert various insults toward OP and/or others here]
[insert ethics issues or various "what I know of science" BS here]
[insert saying stuff for the lulz, shits and giggles, yadda yadda here]
[insert further tangents involving ranting about subjects unrelated and being a piss-poor conversationalist here]

Anyway, now that we got that outta the way: Hey, I'm going to be a total douchebag and humor the OP with something along the lines of what he asked for! I am so badass it scares me. So hear me out.
Sometimes, oh call it a flight of fancy because that's actually exactly what it is, I wonder about the whole grafting thing and even decided to look around the internet like any self-serving US American idiot completely wrong barely-knows-anything-about-science bastard would do. I totally don't think about ethics or playing God being beneath me.
I wanted to figure out what, if anything, was out there about the subject. Not much apparently. Only thing I found really was this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2002/mar/11/health.lifeandhealth

Yes, I know it is old, but just read it. Now Dr. Joseph Rosen likes to stretch the imagination and think of what could be. He even applied that to thinking of adding new body parts including wings and tails. From what the article said he would work with people like Enigma, lizard man, cat man, whatever as guinea pigs because they sign up for that shit. For lazy people who hate to read: the article goes on to talk about ethics, how society would react, and general comments from experts about Dr. Rosen's ideas. But from what I found, Rosen abandoned this train of thought in favor of aiding injured war vets with complete reconstructive surgery:
check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csDNz1Tfd6g

So yeah, what he's doing with his talent is way more important and beneficial to the human race than rich idiots getting crazy plastic surgery just because they are that intent on messin' with what God gave 'em and have the money to throw around. But see, would good Dr. Joseph Rosen be retarded for going back to his original ideas and implementing projects along with the obviously beneficial things he's done so far? I don't think so. Inventions and breakthroughs happen because people dream up the unthinkable and actually do it. The thing I like most about him though is that he works with so many different fields trying to accumulate it all and further what IS possible and making new advancements every day. So no matter what he does that's respectable in its own right.

Hey guys? I love you guys. I like jokes and digression as much as the next person, but geez. A little sincerity never killed anyone. Or did it? I dunno.

Last edited:

Ricky

Wow, way to get pissy when confronted with a valid thought out post, Rigby.

It was completely irrelevant. Not to mention he was giving a medical critique on science and procedures that don't even exist yet.

"...it's akin to changing your child's sex race and a whole bunch of other stuff.' Wat. Are you people even following the discussion, because I've read it a few times and I still don't know what the hell he's talking about :roll:

Attaman

It was completely irrelevant. Not to mention he was giving a medical critique on science and procedures that don't even exist yet.
You're totally reconstructing someone's skeletal structure and nervous system. I'm very hard pressed to think of a situation wherein horrendously fucking with someone's skull and spine is anything other than "Prepare for a lot of procedures and a lot of therapy."

"...it's akin to changing your child's sex race and a whole bunch of other stuff.' Wat. Are you people even following the discussion, because I've read it a few times and I still don't know what the hell he's talking about :roll:
Alright, I'll make it simple for you too: You have a child in a womb. They're just sitting there. Suddenly someone decides "Fuck it, I want them to come out looking like a blue-skinned Voldemort. Blueman style.", drowns 'em in chemicals, a few months later the lil' abomination enters the world and has to deal with Blue Fishface for the rest of their life. I hope you can see why this might be problematic and might cause issues with them, their self-identity, and so-on while growing up.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
It was completely irrelevant.
About as irrelevant and idiotic as using tattoo regret as an analogy for plastic surgery/gene therapy regret haha.

Attaman's argument is in fact very relevant, this entire thread is about plastic surgery and gene therapy since what people are hoping for entirely relies on those methods. Science isn't going to shoot you with an Anthro Beam anytime soon. That only happens in cartoons. The original conversation was about adults, but it isn't unfair to drag children/infants into the argument either.

Ricky

You're totally reconstructing someone's skeletal structure and nervous system. I'm very hard pressed to think of a situation wherein horrendously fucking with someone's skull and spine is anything other than "Prepare for a lot of procedures and a lot of therapy."

You are speculating. Who is to say it wouldn't be more superficial than that?

The answer is "nobody," because none of this stuff even exists.

It's silly to be speculating on the risks of something that doesn't even exist.

Alright, I'll make it simple for you too: You have a child in a womb. They're just sitting there. Suddenly someone decides "Fuck it, I want them to come out looking like a blue-skinned Voldemort. Blueman style.", drowns 'em in chemicals, a few months later the lil' abomination enters the world and has to deal with Blue Fishface for the rest of their life. I hope you can see why this might be problematic and might cause issues with them, their self-identity, and so-on while growing up.

Who was talking about kids? Like, at all? As far as I can tell, the conversation was always about consenting adults. Yeah, no shit if someone's parents decided they should be a fish before they are born there would be some ethical concerns. Nobody was talking about that.

About as irrelevant and idiotic as using tattoo regret as an analogy for plastic surgery/gene therapy regret haha.

For the fourth time, it was specifically stated he was talking about plastic surgery.

The original conversation was about adults, but it isn't unfair to drag children/infants into the argument either.

What the fuck? Yes it is. It's completely irrelevant and also stupid to create a point out of thin air and start arguing against it, when it had NOTHING to do with the discussion in the first place. That's not even straw man territory anymore; I'm not sure what the fuck you would call that.

Wow.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
You are speculating. Who is to say it wouldn't be more superficial than that?

The answer is "nobody," because none of this stuff even exists.

It's silly to be speculating on the risks of something that doesn't even exist.
Who is to say it isn't going to require it? You? Please inform us Ricky of your ideas of how it would work. Calling the speculations silly when the idea in question itself is silly and useless? No shit. What's your next grand reveal?

Who was talking about kids? Like, at all? As far as I can tell, the conversation was always about consenting adults. Yeah, no shit if someone's parents decided they should be a fish before they are born there would be some ethical concerns. Nobody was talking about that.
Attaman pretty much brought the concern up. I don't think he was arguing that if an adult wants to horribly mutilate themselves they shouldn't, he was arguing that no scientist worth their salt will waste their time with something that is ultimately worthless like this. It seemed to me he implied any improvements this kind of science could hope to achieve would be far outclassed by machinery, which already has actual research into it. Because, you know, it's not an ultimately useless pipe dream.

Somehow you failed to read that I mentioned plastic surgery twice. Kudos to you! I suppose you went ahead and just read "gene therapy" so you could find something to bitch about?

What the fuck? Yes it is. It's completely irrelevant and also stupid to create a point out of thin air and start arguing against it, when it had NOTHING to do with the discussion in the first place. That's not even straw man territory anymore; I'm not sure what the fuck you would call that.

Wow.
You don't want to talk about it, so it's irrelevant? Any scientific research that involves modifying the human body is open to the possibility of people applying it to children if you ask me.

Oh, but I forgot. This is a silly discussion, so we can't go into "what if" discussions. Not while there's a forum duel going on!

Edit: Honestly, if you read his post he gave thoughts against it for pre-existing people AND (This is the important part) fetal modification. While the latter isn't part of the original discussion (But the argument is clearly more important than talking about that too) he still addressed the former. It looks to me like you're latching onto the latter as an excuse to not give him a reasonable discussion on the former.

Last edited: