• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Hugs or no hugs?

Cocobanana

As a general rule, I've always enjoyed giving and getting hugs. When someone I'm with can accept my expression of physical vulnerability through a hug or a handshake it makes me feel more at ease. However, I've gradually come to experience that while there are some groups of friends who always have to greet each other with physical affection, there are just as many others who might trade a rare high-five but not much other touching of any sort goes on.

Are hugs and physical touch seen as a welcoming sign of acceptance or an aggressive sign that makes you uncomfortable because you maybe see the other person as 'needy'? If it's bad to want hugs then I want to ween myself off of wanting to give them or being sad when people seem disgusted by the idea.

Tailmon1

Fennec World dominance!
I'm a hugger and proud of it! Sadly todays society frowns upon it. My culture was one that hugs were
were normal signs of affection and friendship. My group of female friends and I often hug as a
greeting or saying good by as a norm.

chocomage

Most of my friends are assholes, however we show affection towards each other by buying beer for each other. Hugs may be a side effect of beer by the end of the night.

SirRob

I don't like getting hugged by acquaintances. It feels fake, and I really don't like that feeling.

Distorted

I once thought people who hugged me were trying to steal my soul, but that was a long time ago.

Nowadays I'm ok with it. I don't give them, but I (reluctantly) receive them. I do like hugs from guys though. You can always tell if they're in shape or not.

I never-ever-ever-ever-ever hug anyone, in any situation, for any reason, except my mum or sister. Even then, it might be questionable.

I hate physical contact, aside from 'quick' things; like a handshake, high-five, or fistbump. I've never seen nor felt any reason to extend physical contact with someone other than a sexual partner, or potential mate.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
That's a sign of affection for a lot of people. It happens that some people love everyone, though I am not one of them.

That's what the handshake is for, a sign of respect/friendliness/willingness to cooperate with someone else. A lot of information passes in how a handshake is given.

Tailmon1

Fennec World dominance!

Distorted

That's a sign of affection for a lot of people. It happens that some people love everyone, though I am not one of them.

That's what the handshake is for, a sign of respect/friendliness/willingness to cooperate with someone else. A lot of information passes in how a handshake is given.

That is very true. You can tell a lot about someone with a handshake.

Mehru

Voted "Coolest Dude" 1982
Being a self-proclaimed sexual dynamo, the receiving party is lucky if it's just a hug.

A tip of my freshly steamed fedora, a ruffle of my collar and a cheeky, gappy smile to send anybody wild. Simply euphoric!

Rilvor

Formal when angry
Being a self-proclaimed sexual dynamo, the receiving party is lucky if it's just a hug.

A tip of my freshly steamed fedora, a ruffle of my collar and a cheeky, gappy smile to send anybody wild. Simply euphoric!

I think you got the address for 4chan/reddit wrong.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Yes I give hugs and receive them as well, it doesn't bother me at all.

Maolfunction

Resident Feline
I'm not a fan of hugs between strangers, or even casual friends. I don't get anything from it other this awkward thought of, "Why are you touching me?" That being said, I love deep intimate hugs with anybody I'm in a relationship with. That sense of close contact, warmth, and overall sensory overload in addition to the emotional feelings that come with such a hug is simply fantastic. You don't get that with random strangers whose goal is to simply be friendly and affectionate. A simple handshake/touch on the shoulder will do that without needing a full on bear hug.

Percy

o-o
I'll accept hugs I know you well enough.
Though I guess if I were in, say, a fursuit, I'd probably be more accepting of one. I guess having somewhat of a sense of anonymity makes me more open to things.

D

Deleted member 82554

I guess having somewhat of a sense of anonymity makes me more open to things.

Not me. I'm the real deal, I'm as raw as fuck.

I guess I just don't care as much as some. :I

chocomage

I'll accept hugs I know you well enough.
Though I guess if I were in, say, a fursuit, I'd probably be more accepting of one. I guess having somewhat of a sense of anonymity makes me more open to things.

For me I was more accepting as I saw it more of a role to fill rather than being myself.

Percy

o-o
For me I was more accepting as I saw it more of a role to fill rather than being myself.
I suppose I'm just a different kind of person, then. I'm a bit more uncomfortable showing affection to someone I don't know, yet more willing to if playing a different persona. A bit strange, I guess.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
Like many people here, it depends on how well I know the person. I wouldn't ~give~ hugs to people I don't know, I'd gladly receive them however. I have to agree with Percy on the fursuit thing, hugs all round for them.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
If you're a fursuiter you have to be prepared for incoming hugs. Thats why I have spikes on my jacket, they detour sneak attacks.

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
I'm cool with hugs, as long as you're clean and don't smell.

Jags

Shepherd of Fire
Being a self-proclaimed sexual dynamo, the receiving party is lucky if it's just a hug

Thank you, I'll be having that quote :)

I'm a hugger, signs of affection are common with me and friends, from an arm over the shoulder to full bear hugs. I suppose it depends how the people around you are - all my frienda are huggers.