• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Human hair?

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
If I'm not mistaken, anthro is about giving animals human qualities.....

Of course hair isn't the most important trait but I thinks is personal choice if you want it or not...

A lot of artists seem to forget this, draw their characters realistic, and then wonder why the fandom has a reputation of being called "dog fuckers".

The whole idea of drawing anthro is to create an animal with human characteristics not create an animal to look like an animal on just it's hind legs.

Stratelier

Style thing . . . with my style, [hair] always ends up looking like the character just put a cheap wig on. Same goes for other artists.
^ Totally agreed.

RandyDarkshade said:
The whole idea of drawing anthro is to create an animal with human characteristics not create an animal to look like an animal on just its hind legs.
The more obvious the human 'additives' are, the more it can potentially clash with the animal-based design, to the point where it isn't clear which is the additive and which was the original base. I might cite character Fox McCloud as an example here, is he more accurately described as a fox with a human body, or a human body with a fox head/tail?

Every human characteristic you add, an animal-based characteristic has to be dropped.

Rigor Sardonicus

Banned
Banned
^ Totally agreed.

The more obvious the human 'additives' are, the more it can potentially clash with the animal-based design, to the point where it isn't clear which is the additive and which was the original base. I might cite character Fox McCloud as an example here, is he more accurately described as a fox with a human body, or a human body with a fox head/tail?

Every human characteristic you add, an animal-based characteristic has to be dropped.
Hahaha. You do realize the only major difference between Fox McCloud's design and a "regular" fox furry is that Fox has plantigrade feet rather than digitigrade, right?

lol, paws

Rigor Sardonicus

Banned
Banned
What is this word "regular" you speak of?
Your last post asked the singularly inane question "is Fox McCloud a fox with a human body, or a human body with a fox head/tail?" My post was meant to quite bluntly say there is no meaningful distinction, but I suppose it was still a bit too subtle for you. My apologies.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
I think the difference between an animal-like human and a human-like animal is the bone structure. Humans have 10 fingers and 10 toes. They have have opposable thumbs and can spread their fingers/toes. They walk on their heels, and leave a very distinct footprint.

Animals on the other hand usually have four-toed feet, and walk on the balls of their feet, making their legs appear double-jointed. Their fingers are shorter and wider, and they do not have opposable thumbs. Granted, usually anthro artists usually give their characters the ability to lift objects with their hands, but they usually still at least look like paws. Anthro characters will have four digits per hand, as opposed to a human hand with 5. It should be noted that even human characters often have four digits due to the relitive difficulty of drawing a 5 fingered hand.

I go somewhere in between. My characters usually have some sort of hair, and 5-fingered hands. Thier feet however have only 4 or sometimes even 3 forward-facing toes (though some animals have a part of the foot that comes out backwards for stability, IIRC) While my approach doesn't make very much sense from a medical/genetic standpoint, it does make it so that the characters would be able to perform every-day tasks without comprimising the "animal" aspect of the character.

Jack

I love to put hair on them! but it greatly depends on the character.

I think it's all right as long as it goes together nicely in a way it complements the general color of the character.

I'm not too big on unnatural fur and hair anyway. Dyed hair can get muddy after awhile too, I've known only a rare few furries and actual IRL people that can actually pull off a good unnatural color.

Nargle

HOOT
I'm not a fan of putting human hair on animals. But then again I don't even make my characters bipedal. Though I do think it would be pretty awesome to see a Chinese Crested character with crazy hair. Those are some of the coolest little dogs ever.

c_hairless.jpg

I so wouldn't mind getting a Powderpuff (Non-hairless) Chinese Crested one of these days.

2123550470101142651S425x425Q85.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of putting human hair on animals. But then again I don't even make my characters bipedal. Though I do think it would be pretty awesome to see a Chinese Crested character with crazy hair. Those are some of the coolest little dogs ever.

c_hairless.jpg

I so wouldn't mind getting a Powderpuff (Non-hairless) Chinese Crested one of these days.

2123550470101142651S425x425Q85.jpg
I've seen a few chinese crested characters, they looked pretty cool.

I think Soundhound made one.

KirbyCowFox

Muu-bitch!
I usually don't see a problem unless the character is in full feral form (4 legged in general). But if it's just a simple anthro with clothes and thumbs, then why not?

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
thats why mine doesn't have any

Ruffian_Tux

I've always, when testing out other fursonas before I finally realized what mine was, had human hair on myself but I'm settled comfortably as a Golden Retriever and no human hair feels right. I have enough on me as it is ;P

Vatz

OH MAH GAWD
I don't think it's weird unless it's on something actually fur/hairless like reptiles.

Agreed. Sometimes I draw them without "hair," but most of the time I can't help myself. How I do it is this: If they have long hair, then I'll draw it. IF they have short hair, then just don't draw it. Easy.