• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Humans will become obsolete

Nemnth

Nemnth Ferheart Dragon
Hi guys, I've recently stumbled upon a very interesting video discussing how technology these days is quickly eclipsing anything any of us can do. It talks about how any position in the work force is at danger, even programming ones as robots can be programmed to program themselves.
It also brings up the argument that when cars came along, they quickly became the norm and horses were pushed out. And that's just transportation.
The video discusses a lot, in which here it is:
I figured I'd post this here to get a discussion going.
If humans become obsolete, which I believe we will at some point due to this video, than robots will do everything.
Although, I have a theory for the robots though. If they do end up taking over, I don't believe it will be a terminator type situation. In fact, I believe the robots would see no point in taking out the human race, only due to how long it would take and it would yield no return for them. So, instead, they would most likely keep us as 'pets'. It's a weird concept, maybe not the best one either and I sure wouldn't be up for being a robot's pet, but it may happen.

Lets try to get a discussion going here.

Inzoreno

The Gentleman Owl
I have seen this talked about a great deal and I do agree that it's likely the eventual endpoint, since business is all about maximizing profit, what's better than replacing humans with machines that don't need sick leave, vacation time or lunch breaks and who don't have to be paid. There are very, very few jobs that won't be automated. It is this problem that has led to the idea of establishing a guaranteed basic income, where each citizen is given a certain amount of money per month for living expenses and whatnot.

ZacAttackk

professional procrastinator
Our future are boneless sacks of fat and hovering chairs in a space station whilst square robots named Wall-E's scavenge the earth.

Cyco-Dude

I have seen this talked about a great deal and I do agree that it's likely the eventual endpoint, since business is all about maximizing profit, what's better than replacing humans with machines that don't need sick leave, vacation time or lunch breaks and who don't have to be paid. There are very, very few jobs that won't be automated. It is this problem that has led to the idea of establishing a guaranteed basic income, where each citizen is given a certain amount of money per month for living expenses and whatnot.
machines break down and need maintenance / replacement parts all the time. they are far from the ideal solution. if companies could replace human workers with robots entirely, they would've already done it.

Multoran

machines break down and need maintenance / replacement parts all the time. they are far from the ideal solution. if companies could replace human workers with robots entirely, they would've already done it.
Humans break down in more than 1 way, and need help. In more than 1 way.

Inzoreno

The Gentleman Owl
Well you already see a number of jobs become automatized, such as car manufacturing, and as technology continues to advance, robotics will be able to do things that had previously only been possible through human workers. For example, there was a story recently about Wendy's planning on replacing cashiers with automated kiosks for ordering.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punished "Venom" Rinku
If we wanted the west to be completely solar powered, we could do that too. There's just companies that make too much money and choose to fight something that could overall give money to other people; it's kill or be killed to these people.

Nemnth

Nemnth Ferheart Dragon
The technology is currently being developed, and will be here soon no doubt. It's also hard to do something with imperfect models than it is to perfect it and have it work. Yes, they need maintenance, but that could easily be also turned into a job for robots too. They have access to all of the knowledge given to them, this is including the whole internet. What does a better job navigating the internet than machines? No one.
The problem right now is that companies can't get away with it. That is until minimum wage was being raised, as we can see in Seattle, Washington of the USA. In local McDonald's stores, they're replacing workers with automated systems to do all the work now. It is happening, but they need logical reason and need motive to make the change. It's really expensive at the moment too.

Cannabiskitty

To Kill the Child; to Set the Adult Free
Humans are already obsolete. Soon the owls will reveal themselves to be the true puppetmasters behind the world's events and usher a new age where humans are forced to work in mice farms and libraries will become more common than Starbucks. Owls.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punished "Venom" Rinku
Humans are already obsolete. Soon the owls will reveal themselves to be the true puppetmasters behind the world's events and usher a new age where humans are forced to work in mice farms and libraries will become more common than Starbucks. Owls.
I had a dream like that once: I was in New York City, except all the buildings were bookshelves, like someone replaced all the wall textures in a Doom level editor with bookshelves. And the roads and sidewalks were tiled with wood and all street lights were desk lamps...

Somnium

The Sparklewolf
Banned
yea but automation makes things cheaper and robots will never be as creative as we are

Nemnth

Nemnth Ferheart Dragon
yea but automation makes things cheaper and robots will never be as creative as we are
Watch the video, it discusses this. Robots can be plenty of creative as we are, it's extremely possible. From your comment, I'm assuming you didn't watch it all the way through.

Zipline

Noodle Fish
Robots already build each other and some are programmed to learn emotions such as jealousy, anger, and loss. Mostly negative emotions. AI is already VERY advanced. It is likely this will happen in the next few generations starting out as a toy and then becoming an adult product and finally rebelling.

Somnium

The Sparklewolf
Banned
Watch the video, it discusses this. Robots can be plenty of creative as we are, it's extremely possible. From your comment, I'm assuming you didn't watch it all the way through.

I did. If by any means they become as creative as us, robots will wage a war against humans. Only a free mind can be creative. But no reason to worry, we both will be long dead before that happens anyway.

Wither

Is honestly confused by life.
You know what is already obsolete? Dragons.
Cool video and all. I'm not worried, though. I see no reason why we can't coexist.

Cyco-Dude

Well you already see a number of jobs become automatized, such as car manufacturing, and as technology continues to advance, robotics will be able to do things that had previously only been possible through human workers. For example, there was a story recently about Wendy's planning on replacing cashiers with automated kiosks for ordering.
replacing a cashier with a self-serve touchscreen monitor is hardly new. i wouldn't be surprised if you could order and pay from your mobile phone and have it ready when you get there in the near future.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punished "Venom" Rinku
replacing a cashier with a self-serve touchscreen monitor is hardly new. i wouldn't be surprised if you could order and pay from your mobile phone and have it ready when you get there in the near future.
I want that in a Subway at least. I hate when I'm ordering and they give the "You want THAT on your sandwich?" look. Step off, ho, I like pizza sauce and pickles. >~>

Cyco-Dude

Imagine if this became the norm throughout all sectors of the economy, and even just a fraction of the labor force was pushed out of the job by automation. What are all those people going to do when they can't find jobs? It would throw society completely into disarray. I'm just imagining a few things that would result from this, just off the top of my head.

For one thing, there would be an explosion of crime as people turn to illegal means of sustaining themselves, and all the problems that go along with that. There would also be a massive ballooning of the welfare state from all those jobless people, to the point where there is so much burden on the system that it eventually just collapses because the ratio of producers to non-producers is so slim, and the government just can't take in enough revenue from the few remaining producers to keep it going. Then those people would be forced into crime as well. The government might try to keep the welfare system going by borrowing enormous amounts of money, driving us deeper into debt and accelerating the eventual outcome of all out economic collapse, and then the economy would shut down entirely.

Through all of this there would be widespread rioting and chaos, and a cumulative breakdown in the social fabric mirroring what has occurred in Greece during the past few years, or more recently in Venezuela. Martial law would ensue. Then you would see the rise of various political factions, similar to Weimar Germany, poised against the corporate system and their political lackeys that have given them the shaft.

I may not be clear on all of the details, but I imagine this is pretty much how it would go. I just don't see such a massive displacement of the work force being reconcilable in any way, and it would ultimately be destructive of its own ends. People need to be able to work and earn a living for themselves.
that's a lot of speculation. automation in the labor force has been happening all the time, and doesn't happen overnight. displaced workers can find new jobs or be retrained to do new ones.

what happened in greece was unrelated to labor, and was almost entirely due to the banking collapse in 2008. if your country it built on banking, and that bubble busts, nothing good will come of it. fortunately, they seem to have their shit mostly together (minus the neo-nazi political parties...wtf). venezuela has...a lot of problems. as an oil-producing country, whose main export is oil, it doesn't surprise me they are hurting with opec driving the cost per barrel down in recent years. again, unrelated to the topic of labor. you can't just point to some country in a recession and say "that's what it'll be like when the robots take over!". lol.