• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I am new, and have questions...

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
Well. Huh. I never thought I'd find myself writing this.

I'm, um, well. New here. I quite like the dynamics and creativity of the fandom as I've seen them so far. I've enjoyed the writing in particular. The art is fantastic where I've seen it, and, well, I've generally had a good time.

It's just, well, I've never really had an unbiased introduction to it - every time it's been people who either poke mean fun at it, people who abhor it, people who regard it with almost incessant adulation, and well... I figured the most honest group of people to ask would be those who are in it and familiar with it's nuances.

I've never been swung one way or the other, and I'm usually "Everyone can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't take away from someone else's rights" regarding anyone's beliefs and likes. It works, and I like being able to say "I'm cool with you, sorry about other people being jerks" to people getting attacked in comments and forums for what they like. Everyone's friend, I guess. Uhm.

Basically, I want to know about the community. What does it center around, what is 'socially accepted', do's and don't's. I want to understand it so I don't dive in blind (I was rather lucky to come across this place, even, in my wanderings). So, uhm, some kind of general introduction...?

The few specific questions I have are this:

- What is considered a furry - anything nonhuman, or are things like plants, robots, and other such non-mammals part of something else? Particularly robots and plants I find appealing, but I do like them all.

- Is it usual to not be interested in the more... er, 'dubious' things? I just find them a tad off-putting, I'm not really interested in, well, you know.

- Is... is this even the right place to ask questions? It's the first I've found where responses are common, but are there specific web addresses or forums just for introduction questions?

- I see a lot of 'Adoption' posts... are these, uhm, do you need to use them? It's not that they're bad, they're just... impersonal? I just don't see much of a connection, but I suppose they're for use in crossovers and the like...?

- Am I going about learning of the fandom incorrectly? Is there some video or book I should look at?

So. Uhm. Thanks for your time. I-if I've offended anyone, I definitely did NOT intend to. I'm just honestly curious, and I wanted to participate once I knew more about it... so. Yeah.

Thank you.

(Further apologies if this came off as a weird way of phrasing things, I sort of write the way I think when I'm talking directly. And I'm honestly a bit nervous writing this.)

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
Sure man, What I did to gain my knowledge about this fandom, was I googled and YouTubed everything I wanted to know and it seems to have helped me.
... Oh.
I, uh, appreciate the advice, but when I did that I found a lot of people just hating it for their own nonspecific and arbitrary reasons... I wanted to hear more from those who take part.

Hair_Everywhere

ego sum non a furorem
... Oh.
I, uh, appreciate the advice, but when I did that I found a lot of people just hating it for their own nonspecific and arbitrary reasons... I wanted to hear more from those who take part.
Well this website is filled with furrys, and in time you will get advice from others who are seeing this community discussion, so you will get some more thorough answers from people who have been in this community longer than I have.

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
Well this website is filled with furrys, and in time you will get advice from others who are seeing this community discussion, so you will get some more thorough answers from people who have been in this community longer than I have.
Oh! Good. Still, thank you for even reading the rambling mess that is my writing. I appreciate you at least saying hello!

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
- What is considered a furry - anything nonhuman, or are things like plants, robots, and other such non-mammals part of something else? Particularly robots and plants I find appealing, but I do like them all.
If you want to get quite technical, a furry is any haired thing (typically mammals) and a scalie is any scaled thing (typically reptiles). In general, furries are just humanoid animals. Sometimes extending to more traditional animals.
Robots are usually referred to as mecha, and while they have a huge following of their own, I don't know if there is a main hangout site for them or not. Or if mecha is just the name of the big mobile suits or also applies to little bots like Medabots.
I'm not sure where plant people fall.

- Is it usual to not be interested in the more... er, 'dubious' things? I just find them a tad off-putting, I'm not really interested in, well, you know.
There is a group of us that prefer SFW art over the NSFW stuff floating around. You'll seem to be in the minority on that, but you can find comrades. My first introduction to furries wasn't very nice. It was all the more disturbing NSFW stuff you find on FA, courtesy of some trashy teenage boys I was stuck with at the time. I avoided FA for years because of it too. A friend showed me the decent side of FA and I tentatively joined a year or so ago.

- I see a lot of 'Adoption' posts... are these, uhm, do you need to use them? It's not that they're bad, they're just... impersonal? I just don't see much of a connection, but I suppose they're for use in crossovers and the like...?
I'll admit I haven't been paying much attention to those, but usually an Adoption in this sense is more like buying a premade character for your own use. Kind of like buying your clothes instead of making your own.

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
If you want to get quite technical, a furry is any haired thing (typically mammals) and a scalie is any scaled thing (typically reptiles). In general, furries are just humanoid animals. Sometimes extending to more traditional animals.
Robots are usually referred to as mecha, and while they have a huge following of their own, I don't know if there is a main hangout site for them or not. Or if mecha is just the name of the big mobile suits or also applies to little bots like Medabots.
I'm not sure where plant people fall.

There is a group of us that prefer SFW art over the NSFW stuff floating around. You'll seem to be in the minority on that, but you can find comrades. My first introduction to furries wasn't very nice. It was all the more disturbing NSFW stuff you find on FA, courtesy of some trashy teenage boys I was stuck with at the time. I avoided FA for years because of it too. A friend showed me the decent side of FA and I tentatively joined a year or so ago.

I'll admit I haven't been paying much attention to those, but usually an Adoption in this sense is more like buying a premade character for your own use. Kind of like buying your clothes instead of making your own.

Oh!
This actually clears up a great deal for me, thank you! I was worried I would end up doing some wrong or another because of what I didn't know, but now I feel quite a bit better about being interested. At the very least I don't have to feel strange for being more interested in the SFW.
Again, thank you!

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
Whoa there Charles Dickinson, we don't need your life story or your pseudo-intellectualism. Just introduce yourself, say what shit interests you have and then we welcome you.

So welcome Charles
O-oh! Sorry, I have a habit of rambling when I'm nervous...
I'm just curious about the fandom, I wanted to learn more about it before getting more involved, and some of the people above have done well at introducing me to it!

I've found myself more interested in the SFW things, honestly. The genuine creativity I've seen here is, well, impressive! I hope I can be part of that someday. But it's better to learn the media first before blindly throwing myself in.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
O-oh! Sorry, I have a habit of rambling when I'm nervous...
I'm just curious about the fandom, I wanted to learn more about it before getting more involved, and some of the people above have done well at introducing me to it!

I've found myself more interested in the SFW things, honestly. The genuine creativity I've seen here is, well, impressive! I hope I can be part of that someday. But it's better to learn the media first before blindly throwing myself in.

All good mate. One thing you need to learn is that there's no reason to be nervous on the internet since we don't know you nor give enough of a shit to find out. Just remember that if you ever fuck up you can just make a new account and start fresh.

This forum is alright; nothing special of anything
I'm one of the shitposters (80% of the time)
Practice your shit

Daven

bilo
All good mate. One thing you need to learn is that there's no reason to be nervous on the internet since we don't know you nor give enough of a shit to find out. Just remember that if you ever fuck up you can just make a new account and start fresh.

This forum is alright; nothing special of anything
I'm one of the shitposters (80% of the time)
Practice your shit
bro lay off hes all good

Daven

bilo
FA is a place you can be your self so b your self if your an ass bag be an ass bag you wont get any judement from me