• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: I could use some help

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
I'd never describe deathclaws as "sleek" but to that end, "sleekness" can best be described as and implied smooth simple line through the character and an overall "thinness." If we look at a Porsche:

1623933997493.png

You start low, gracefully curve to the headlights, then from the headlights to the spoiler is a more or less a single, unbroken line that's slightly angled to make it interesting. At the spoiler you curve upwards, the reverse of the hood, giving a nice "swoosh" through the car. The car is also long and low, leading a thin look. However, if we look at a Fiat 500

1623934162378.png

We start almost vertical, then there's a right angel to get to the hood. The line of the hood (what exists) and the implied line across the windows aren't inline, and there's no spoiler to balance it off. It's also short and tall, meaning not thin. This picture cheated with a black line to hide that, but it doesn't help.

Because of this, the porsche looks sleek and the Fiat doesn't.

So, in your case, I would determine what major "lines" you want your character to have and build off those. A fairly straight back, and a solid S on the underside will get there. Your boobs are gonna throw that off, but getting the major lines right will help.

Ziggy Schlacht

I just figured out what bugged me. It's mirrored. Left and right are the exact same, which happens absolutely never in nature. Trace over and blend one side, so the minor differences from your tracing adds some minor variation, and it will look better.

That's why it's looks stiff and awkward.

Also, I'm not sure on the muscles on the hindquarters, I think the lines at a minimum should be a lighter weight. Or else she's flexing the hell out of her butt.

Ziggy Schlacht

At some point you have to say "good enough" and move on. We could literally spend the next month doing this and you'd still not be happy. I don't think there's anything to be gained by further revising this, if you want to improve it's time to draw something new and try to apply what you figured out.

vickers

I just saw your most recent drawing and I agree with the post above! I think your anatomy is looking great so far, right now I think the only thing that you could do to improve your piece is if you added colors to it.

marshmellerditty

Hey, not sure if you still want help with this but I think adding knobby finger joints to the wings would really help the realism! Here's a quick redline to show what I mean:

[EDIT: removed image due to nudity I didn't notice]

You might want to make them a bit smaller than I did to keep the sleek look, but I really think it'd make a big difference. Also added a bit more muscle to the "arm" of the wing.

The face/head look amazing btw! Great work.

Last edited: