• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I don't know where Lag comes from.

So first off I'll admit that I have NO idea how lag works and why it happens. I don't know if it's because FA doesn't have the funding to make things run smoothly/quickly, or if they just don't have the support staff/volunteers to fix bugs/errors/whatever makes lag happen.

But it kinda scares me a bit since most of my business comes through FA.

Is there something that FA NEEDS in order to help it run smoother? New programmers? Better server-thingies?

I definitely don't know computer science :)

Protip: Don't base your business solely around something you can't control. If FA crashes and burns forever tonight, do you currently have somewhere else for your customers to find you?

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
It could also be caused by your ISP, by local internet traffic, by other people using your network, etc. Don't be so quick to blame a site if it's acting slow, half the time the problem is local.

Socks also makes a good point. If you know a site is prone to coming down a lot, have a backup place where you can direct customers to. My price list and commission samples have been hosted externally on Blogspot for years for this very reason.

Nanakisan

Wild lunatic!
Should we be surprised by the lag? I usually have these events timed now. Surprisingly FA has done well too avoid a full on lag fest excluding last weeks thumbnail DB lag. Either way i see it. We should sit down have a nice cup of tea. While those with the ability to fix it. Do their work and find out what happened this time.

GamerFox

While those with the ability to fix it
1401681941684.gif

E: Actually it seems to be a problem with their network provider this time.

Nanakisan

Wild lunatic!
Phone: HULLO YESH THIS IS NEER OF FA!
ISP: Oh hello and what can we do for you today? (Oh god is that purple furry guy again...)
Phone: YES MEIN WEBSITE IS BORKED! FEEEEEEEX NAO!
ISP: Ahh yes yes we seem to be having issues right now. Please hold while our engineers beat the routers with their wrenches.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Phone: HULLO YESH THIS IS NEER OF FA!
ISP: Oh hello and what can we do for you today? (Oh god is that purple furry guy again...)
Phone: YES MEIN WEBSITE IS BORKED! FEEEEEEEX NAO!
ISP: Ahh yes yes we seem to be having issues right now. Please hold while our engineers beat the routers with their wrenches.
More or less.

Nanakisan

Wild lunatic!
Ahh it's ok man. I know the feeling....I had my lovely run in with Comcast back in the days. I still want to personally locate the identity of 1 specific customer server rep....for reasons that shall go unmentioned.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
It's just frustrating. Downtime is bad enough when it's something you're responsible for, but when it's out of your hands... the angst is 10X worse.

FireFoxinc

Murry Purry
Seems there main router at for Inforelay at CoreSite is responding. So is internal on there end for the location. Might just be a local switch went down or something. It does not look like a doss.

FireFoxinc

Murry Purry
Not many are. If you even have the ability to tinker with such things you got to know someone or pay alot of money :|

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
You using Inforelay as your only peer?
InfoRelay has about 10 different peers it connects to. The problem is not with our peer, but an issue on the local level (I'm assuming one of the outgoing routers). IR has redundant gear for everything. I don't know what happened, but it's an issue of no data can get out of the datacenter -- for /anyone/. Not just FA, but for a few hundred other racks.

EDIT: ISP just contacted us. This was a massive DDOS that caused a huge disruption for us and a lot of individuals. We're trying to find out more.

Last edited:

FireFoxinc

Murry Purry
Sounds like a aggregate switch crashed more then anything. It would be hard to find a true colo rack with A B power/net unless your paying a good buck for it. That or they simply did not config OSPF correctly.

Still a shame however.

Nanakisan

Wild lunatic!
Well either way at least this time it's not FA's fault. Let's keep drinking our tea gents.

GamerFox

Neer needs to have a long hard look at his network management or at least hire an MSCE or whatever they're called

GemWolf

Imma wolf with style
*smiles and pretends to understand what everyone is talking about* :)

lol anyway, yeah let's hope they fix it soon I'm getting FA withdrawals

GemWolf

Imma wolf with style
I think we're all trying to work out what's going on!

Yeah I knew that :)
My comment was referring to all the IT type comments haha it went way over my head. Computers? Yeah I can turn them on and use them....that's as far as I go. lol
In other words I was having a friendly lark