• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I feel like I've hit a wall

Sylox

boi...chill out!
IDK what it is, but I feel as if I'm stuck when it comes to drawing. I feel like I'm not progesssing at all, just coasting and it sucks. I think I'm going to go back and look at some tutorials or something because I'm just stuck and it's weird.

Zuriak

Designated Bearforce
I feel the same way sometimes so I resort to a weird tactic: so I approach other folks and ask if I can draw their characters. After I finish I have enough juice to get started on the next bit of art, of which is always nice.

Beyond that, take breaks and don't get burnt out.

Maugryph

IDK what it is, but I feel as if I'm stuck when it comes to drawing. I feel like I'm not progesssing at all, just coasting and it sucks. I think I'm going to go back and look at some tutorials or something because I'm just stuck and it's weird.

Try 'loosening up' before doing a drawing. There are various ways to loosen up. One way is to draw a bunch of light marks and when you start to 'see' something in those loose marks, draw that thing. Also try drawing one of your favorite characters from memory and and don't worry about it being perfect, then draw that character again using a reference. Try drawing a 100 of one subject that you're struggling with: Hands, feat, whatever. these will help you 'warm up' like a musician does when he/she plays scales.

Last edited:

Wakor

Wakor Jones
Hey, I want you to know that this is normal! You aren't coasting; I PROMISE you're improving.
What's happening is that your eye is improving faster than your hand. You are becoming a better artist and RECOGNIZING mistakes in your art, but you're doing it faster than you're recognizing your improvements.
This is not bad! Your hand will catch up. Just keep drawing.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
Maybe try drawing something you don't normally draw. For eg. if you normally only draw anthros, or a certain species, branch out to other species, draw some aliens, or humans. Draw some still life, or scenery.

Kadrasar

If you feel like you're not improving, find something really specific that you think you could improve at, and just practice that for a couple hours. Find examples, real life reference, do a ton of sketches and really try to figure out that one thing in the time you've given yourself. Maybe it's a particular part of anatomy, like faces or eyes, or colour theory. Whatever you choose, when you focus on just one thing for a couple hours, you will have a really good feel for what you learned from it. Sometimes that's all you need to jump-start your improvement again, just that feeling of having made progress.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
Change it up. Practice a new style, medium, or technique.

If you get stale and keep going, you don't get better. You just get better at drawing the same shoddy mess even faster.

Half-Note

Or just give up on drawing and find something else to keep you entertained.

Yamidog

After a while you start improving slowly - but surely. I find tackling something new helps, like environments if you're a character artist or focusing on using limited colour palettes or drawing lineless. Anything new and out of the norm to shake up the art juices.

Sylox

boi...chill out!
Ok So I finally purchased SAI last night and this morning decided to work on my line work and its so hard to keep a straight line. I'm trying to ink a drawing I did in SAI and I can't because I can't make straight lines even with the stabilizer. Do you think its how I'm holding the pen or maybe its how I've calibrated the stylus? Also, I don't get what you mean when you say change your style. I don't think I have a style, I just draw.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
How do you hold the pen?