• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I found a article about furries in a Asperger's magazine

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
We have enough social parasites already, thank you.

Kit H. Ruppell

The fandom is socially awkward enough. Now think what will happen if sociopaths start joining by the thousands. Nothing GOOD can come of that!

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES

furries are just as weird as this comic explaining industrial music.

furries = Throbbing gristle

except with animals.

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES
hamburger ladyyyyyy

woooooob woooob

im going into seizures

DISCIPLINE DISCIPLINE WEEE NEED SOME DISCIPLINE IN HEEEERRRE!!!!!!!!!!

one day I will stalk genesis and trap him in an alley and make babies with him... er... her.

jcfynx

Banned
Banned
The fandom is socially awkward enough. Now think what will happen if sociopaths start joining by the thousands. Nothing GOOD can come of that!

I'm not sure where you get the idea that people with Asperger's Syndrome are sociopaths. Actually, people on the autism spectrum are far less likely to do something that might offend someone than your average person. While sometimes they can get carried away on the Internet, if they are on a forum like this one where people are expected to be nasty to each other, they tend to be hypervigilant about making sure they don't hurt anyone else.

It would also do well to remember that they aren't just joining now; they are all already here. Many animal head people you may already know such as Adam Wan and Pinkuh have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

nedded

is a goat.
You know, an awful lot of kids with Asperger's are also the ones who wind up in the gifted programs in schools.

I'd be thrilled to have that group on our side.

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
And I thought I would share it with you, my fair Internet pen-friends. What a pleasant surprise!

Very interesting piece - it's nice to see something written by a fur instead of some 'authority' 'explaining' it all.

I have noticed there are quite a few folks with Aspergers in the fandom. Correct me if I'm wrong but AS is a condition where one has trouble picking up on social cues & thus 'fitting in' becomes a problem; it makes sense a lot of AS people would feel at home in a very non-mainstream fandom.

That said I don't hang around with other fan/social groups, so I have no idea what the percentage of AS people might be in those.

Can you provide any info as to the magazine/date/or if it's available online?

Fay V

Lost to this world
It looks like a simple entry to a magazine. No scientific or professional connection of autism to furriness besides the particular author being autistic and getting published in the creative community section.
So no, it doesn't relate all furries to being inferior.

Context is everything

Singularity

As a furry with AS, I find this interesting. And yeah, most of us with Aspergers really aren't that bad. Yeah, I used to be pretty awful with social cues, but you can learn those. And I was diagnosed really early, so I got taught those early on. I may not be the most social person, but I always was shy. I just come across as your typical geek, which is just fine for me, because I really AM a geek. xD

Going back to the topic at hand, I like this article and think it comes across pretty well. I can see why so many people with Aspergers or Autism find the fandom, too. As others have said, it is one of the most accepting subcultures I know, and one of the most inherently friendly. Honestly, I initially joined not because I was a furry, but because I thought I could meet some cool people here. And it's going well so far, really. :3

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES
You know, an awful lot of kids with Asperger's are also the ones who wind up in the gifted programs in schools.

I'd be thrilled to have that group on our side.

it's only "gifted" because it's slower than the regular courses.
they lie.

if they'll be on our side all we'll have are whiney fat whales who hide in their mother's basements until they're 35.

Vivianite

That 1-hit-kill sniper fgt.
why do i find this relevant to my life? oh yea, i forgot, i have this HUR DERP.

but ok, that was just wierd enough seeing this in an actual article in some magazine.

ADF

I don't have the time to read it, but from what I'm seeing it's a good mention.

The fandom finally gets a good mention and its from a asperger's magazine :lol:

As someone with asperger's syndrome this is a bit amusing.

south syde dobe

4th Elite General
Hmm its not bad I guess, I believe you found something that was written about furries that didn't talk about sex for once lol

Vivianite

That 1-hit-kill sniper fgt.
that's a new one on me; explain please HUR DERP

HUR DERP: usually said after a obvious statement or observation. at least, that's how I've been using it.

Hmm its not bad I guess, I believe you found something that was written about furries that didn't talk about sex for once lol

i would have to second that. I really can't describe the furry fandom IMO without explaining something sexual.

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

it's only "gifted" because it's slower than the regular courses.
they lie.

if they'll be on our side all we'll have are whiney fat whales who hide in their mother's basements until they're 35.
You....are a TRUE genius!