• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I fucking love JRPGs

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I've been playing so much cool shit lately I'm having a blast. Do any of y'all like JRPGs too? What have you been playing?
Give me a moment to talk about some games I've been playing.
Resonance of Fate HD
First up is this remaster of this ps3 game by Tri-Ace (most known for Star Ocean). Resonance of Fate is such a bizarre thing to experience. Its extremely gray, something I've never actually seen to be a problem in JRPGs before. And yet, the game is weirdly gorgeous and uses the cobblestone road, stone bricked, gear infested world to its aesthetic. Its really pretty. Beyond that, the game's plot is bizarrely cryptic. See, the game is structured to have one main quest and 2 or 3 sidequests each chapter, with chapters ending once you've completed the main quest and returned home. Typically you get a cryptic cutscene without much context at the beginning and end of each chapter, and you sorta have to piece together the plot. The game's setting is a gigantic tower that no one knows how it came to be and is slowly falling apart. People have separated parts of the tower by class with the higher up in the tower you are, the richer or more political power you have. And yet, the tower is so disconnected that people only find out news through hearsay. Its a rather poor state of affairs, and you and two other gunman do odd jobs for these aristocrats. Combat is super confusing at first and you HAVE to play the optional tutorial to know how to play, but once you get the hang of it its a really stylish 3rd-person strategy game with time that moves when you do. Also hot take but I think JRPGs peaked with graphics like this. (disregarding the color)

Octopath Traveler
Octopath Traveler is also a really pretty game, but for very different reasons. It blends 3D environments and structures with 2D pixelart characters, yet it makes this work and blend really well by making the textures on 3D objects pixelart. Though the game does have a very strong depth of field blurring effect on the edges of the screen at all times. I personally found that annoying, but was thankfully able to turn that off with some fiddling in the .ini file of the PC version.
Anyways, I'm amazed at how much content is in this game. I've played several hours and I still haven't done chapter 2 for any characters yet. Each character has their own story and its taken a good deal of time to go through each character's chapter 1. Its kinda cool that there's so many different actually interesting stories to tell. I'm most interested in the dancer Primrose's tale.
Combat has been admittedly rather simple and dungeons are usually not very complex or long, but its serviceable enough and scratches that itch for a JRPG with a fairly normal combat system.
Also, I'm a sucker for any game with overworld abilities. Its so cool being able to do things like steal from random npcs throughout town or coerce them into following you.

Dragon Quest XI S
I never played a Dragon Quest game before the demo for this released on Steam (excluding a very brief bit of VIII, but I didn't play for very long at all), so I was really surprised to find that this game is fantastic and that I've been missing out! I haven't played a game with this strong a sense of adventure in forever. Like first thing you're doing is doing a little cultural thing for your town, and then you're on a quest to see the king only for the king to betray you, and then you're on the run as a fugitive with a thief monk type character which is a really unique blend of character traits. There's so much constantly happening and it really feels like you're on an adventure. The game never interrupts your gameplay for very long and I dug that. This game is also pretty. A little disappointed that the lighting, shadows, and flora are a bit downgraded in the S version, but it still has so much extra content its the version to play imo and I still had a great time. Its minor and the game is still rather pretty imo.
Baroque
This game is weird. I played the Wii version, which is a port of a remake of the original PS1 version. It has some changes that I think were a bit unfortunate to it atmospherically (it used to be darker visually and less anime), but its still got a lot of atmosphere and strangeness to it.
In Baroque, you wake up in this strange otherworldly place where you're told by an angel to go to the bottom of a great tower that lies across the desert. Once you're in the tower, the game plays like a sort of roguelike, where you move through the very strange layout of the interior of the tower to find the portal to a lower floor, picking up equipment as you go and fighting monsters. If you die, you respawn at the outside of the tower and have to start over, with you even sent back to level 1 and losing some of your stuff. Its rather brutal, though the game is fairly similar to Mystery Dungeon conceptually. I haven't gotten too far yet but the actual combat function is basically a two button attack system and kinda clunky/slow. Its not great but the game lives on its weirdness and atmosphere.

TL;DR:
I love JRPGs. (heres some games I've been playing I like). Do y'all like JRPGs? What JRPGs have you been playing?

Last edited:
I have a severe pendulum effect with JRPG's. I go back between hating them and loving them. They waste SO much fucking time and do so much obnoxious shit but some of them have some wonderful core adventures and gameplay mechanics.
My favorites are Mega Man Battle Network, Dragon Quest, Terranigma, Chrono Trigger of course, and PSO2.

I have found myself playing a lot more lately. Some of the new stuff has been decent. FF7R, Kingdom Hearts 3, and I really tore through OctoPath Traveler.
Octopath was a weird one though. The loop of the gameplay wasn't what I'd call stale, but something was missing. There wasn't much in the way of adventuring. You really only opened chests and fought things. Combat and making builds was great. The NPC interactions were neat. But the "dungeons" had nothing unique to them. You just sort of found the path of least resistance to the boss, grabbed all the chests, and that was it. No puzzles. No clever backtracking. No unique events. No sequential objectives. Just Start the dungeon. Boss. Exposition. Repeat.

I suppose it's better than most in the genre at least that again, waste time...like the god awful Tales series.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
If Persona 5 is a JRPG then I love JRPGs but only persona lol
Persona 5 is indeed a JRPG! Surprisingly one I haven't played yet, I've been banking on a future PC port and consequently becoming a skeleton.
I'm glad you like it though! It is a good entry level place for people, especially with how stylish it is I imagine. I've been playing Persona 4 Golden to bridge the gap but its just not as interesting, plus I've already beaten it. There is something pleasant about seeing lower res models in crystal clear HD though. Do you like anime? I'm curious as to what about P5 in particular kept you interested.
The loop of the gameplay wasn't what I'd call stale, but something was missing. There wasn't much in the way of adventuring. You really only opened chests and fought things. Combat and making builds was great. The NPC interactions were neat. But the "dungeons" had nothing unique to them. You just sort of found the path of least resistance to the boss, grabbed all the chests, and that was it. No puzzles. No clever backtracking. No unique events. No sequential objectives. Just Start the dungeon. Boss. Exposition. Repeat.
FOR REAL
Octopath dungeons just needed a little something more. Something was bugging me about the dungeons and this puts it better than I ever could! Some JRPGs have some really interesting and sometimes grueling dungeons. Golden Sun in particular I think was REALLY good at this, at least enough to where some dungeons were headscratchers for me

Thanks for reminding me about Terranigma, I still need to play that lol. It looks fascinating.
Its funny you mention Chrono Trigger alongside Dragon Quest though, as I was thinking XI S is a lot like Chrono Trigger in how its lots of adventuring with very little bullshit in the way.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Resonance of Fate HD
First up is this remaster of this ps3 game by Tri-Ace (most known for Star Ocean). Resonance of Fate is such a bizarre thing to experience. Its extremely gray, something I've never actually seen to be a problem in JRPGs before. And yet, the game is weirdly gorgeous and uses the cobblestone road, stone bricked, gear infested world to its aesthetic. Its really pretty. Beyond that, the game's plot is bizarrely cryptic. See, the game is structured to have one main quest and 2 or 3 sidequests each chapter, with chapters ending once you've completed the main quest and returned home. Typically you get a cryptic cutscene without much context at the beginning and end of each chapter, and you sorta have to piece together the plot. The game's setting is a gigantic tower that no one knows how it came to be and is slowly falling apart. People have separated parts of the tower by class with the higher up in the tower you are, the richer or more political power you have. And yet, the tower is so disconnected that people only find out news through hearsay. Its a rather poor state of affairs, and you and two other gunman do odd jobs for these aristocrats. Combat is super confusing at first and you HAVE to play the optional tutorial to know how to play, but once you get the hang of it its a really stylish 3rd-person strategy game with time that moves when you do. Also hot take but I think JRPGs peaked with graphics like this. (disregarding the color)

RoF is a HARD game. I really struggled to complete it.

FOR REAL
Octopath dungeons just needed a little something more. Something was bugging me about the dungeons and this puts it better than I ever could! Some JRPGs have some really interesting and sometimes grueling dungeons. Golden Sun in particular I think was REALLY good at this, at least enough to where some dungeons were headscratchers for me

Thanks for reminding me about Terranigma, I still need to play that lol. It looks fascinating.
Its funny you mention Chrono Trigger alongside Dragon Quest though, as I was thinking XI S is a lot like Chrono Trigger in how its lots of adventuring with very little bullshit in the way.
I'm deeply biased for Zelda which...isn't a JRPG, but when I think about temples and dungeons, I think about the best from those games. To me I just cannot for the life of me think of anything else as a standard and really think it could be copied or even improved for JRPG's. But really none do Nintendo's excellent formula which is very surprising. I think a game like Kingdom Hearts especially could make it work outstandingly and it almost did in 3 during the Frozen world. I think I genuinely would have found that as a literal dream game if it had that sort of layered, looping, labyrinthian level design at some point ending in the climactic boss fights KH3 did really well. Mixed with KH3's godly combat and new movement, that would have been something. (KH3 was still extremely good)

Octopath takes it a step further though and really is just entirely too simple for it's own good, but at the same time it's not being obnoxious and they're fairly quick to get through. So I guess it's a bit of a double edged sword? Well...if we're comparing things to Zelda, I guess it's like a Razor Sword. The big edge being the cons and the small edge being the pros to it. lol

But most JRPG's are sort of scant and repetitive about dungeons with very, surprisingly few unique features beyond enemy types and visual theming and tend to be very forcibly spacious to artificially push you into enemy encounters.
The only game I can think of to get this nearly spot on is Pandora's Tower, sadly it came at the cost of a proper overworld, but that game was fucking amazing still.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
Persona 5 is indeed a JRPG! Surprisingly one I haven't played yet, I've been banking on a future PC port and consequently becoming a skeleton.
I'm glad you like it though! It is a good entry level place for people, especially with how stylish it is I imagine. I've been playing Persona 4 Golden to bridge the gap but its just not as interesting, plus I've already beaten it. There is something pleasant about seeing lower res models in crystal clear HD though. Do you like anime? I'm curious as to what about P5 in particular kept you interested.

FOR REAL

(you didn't hear it from me, but you can emulate P5 since it also came out on the PS3)

I don't know, it's just such a charming game. The story, the characters, the gameplay, and the style. This game is so stylish. Some of the best game music I've ever heard. It also has a very great UI. It's just easy to get hooked I guess.

Borophagus Monoclinous

The official prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
These games sound really cool. There are so many games in the Xbox store that I have no clue what they are. I only know that I like Forza and Call of Duty because those are obvious.

I like a good role playing game with quests, puzzles, drama, and beautiful art. I need to check these out.

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
Ahhh, Chrono Trigger. The memories..

Kinare

RAWR
Man, back in my day I liked me some JRPGs. Final Fantasy 6 is an all time favorite, as well as the Xenosaga series, Chrono Cross (not Trigger, never played that one), Dragon Warrior 3 (GameBoy Color version of Dragon Quest 3)... and I'm surely forgetting some other titles. Can't really get into them lately, RPGs in general are hard for me to sit down and play.

Man, back in my day I liked me some JRPGs. Final Fantasy 6 is an all time favorite, as well as the Xenosaga series, Chrono Cross (not Trigger, never played that one), Dragon Warrior 3 (GameBoy Color version of Dragon Quest 3)... and I'm surely forgetting some other titles. Can't really get into them lately, RPGs in general are hard for me to sit down and play.
They take some time. I really have to like the gameplay and sit down with *one* at a time. I play a lot of fucking games.

Also, Ni No Kuni 2 was one of my favorite fucking JRPG's recently. Just about every part of it is soooo fun. Fighting, spamming skills, exploring, STAT BUILDING, there's a whole city building thing going on. About the only thing I don't care much for were the little strategy sections where you command an army. Felt unnecessary.
And the character models, plot, VA, and, well, characters are...balls. Like it's all bad. lol
They're all fun to play as at least.
That was an easy 7/10 game right there. Dumb high recommendation if anyone here missed it.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
I suppose it's better than most in the genre at least that again, waste time...like the god awful Tales series.
Lol, What's your deal with -that- series?

zandelux

I really tried to get into Octopath Traveler, and I enjoy it when I'm playing. But something about the game just feels monotonous... doing the same things over and over again, without building tension. I've started the game from scratch 3 times, and something in life will happen that breaks the momentum, so I'll take a break. With most games this wouldn't be a problem, and I'd just jump back in. But for some reason I never feel like going back to OT. By the time I feel like playing it again, I've forgotten everything, and I just start the game from the beginning. The furthest I've gotten is the beginning of chapter 2. I thought unlocking a secondary job would change things, but not really.

BTW, @Kinare, you should really play Chrono Trigger. I rank it only slightly above Final Fantasy VI. I've been meaning to play Chrono Cross.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Lol, What's your deal with -that- series?
I've had some fun from Vesperia and Berseria, but the series' combat in general is, at least as far as I understand, excruciatingly simple and repetitive in a way that doesnt gel with me. Just spam the attack button and occasionally jump backwards or block to avoid attacks, repeat. It's an action rpg but the combat system lacks learnable enemy attack patterns and greater variety in what you can do to overcome each battle. All the way back to Symphonia and the game feels even more limiting since you can only really move left and right generally speaking.

I've had some fun from Vesperia and Berseria, but the series' combat in general is, at least as far as I understand, excruciatingly simple and repetitive in a way that doesnt gel with me. Just spam the attack button and occasionally jump backwards or block to avoid attacks, repeat. It's an action rpg but the combat system lacks learnable enemy attack patterns and greater variety in what you can do to overcome each battle. All the way back to Symphonia and the game feels even more limiting since you can only really move left and right generally speaking.
I literally found zero redeeming qualities with the series. I played more than I really should have trying to see the appeal. Vesperia, Xillia, Berseria, Symphonia, Innocence, and Graces. Not one managed to be remotely enjoyable for me.

Ill stick with Genshin and Ni No Kuni 2.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Posting this scene that I recorded from Resonance of Fate because it made me giggle.
I literally found zero redeeming qualities with the series. I played more than I really should have trying to see the appeal. Vesperia, Xillia, Berseria, Symphonia, Innocence, and Graces. Not one managed to be remotely enjoyable for me.

Ill stick with Genshin and Ni No Kuni 2.
I just like the characters/stories. Vesperia in particular's characters are lovable imo. Yuri's very no bullshit and is an actual adult, which is a bonus imo after how Lloyd was.
The combat also bothers me less for some reason, but its still not great lol

Posting this scene that I recorded from Resonance of Fate because it made me giggle.

I just like the characters/stories. Vesperia in particular's characters are lovable imo. Yuri's very no bullshit and is an actual adult, which is a bonus imo after how Lloyd was.
The combat also bothers me less for some reason, but its still not great lol
I just see them all as cardboard. I can't really tell the difference between Tales characters game per game. They all seem to be the same overdone tropes each entry with the same awful animations, designs, and voice jobs.

This isn't to say I think it's any worse than other similar tiered JRPG's. But I generally point to it as a personal standard of "wow please stay away from me". But I suppose it could be worse, like Star Ocean and Hyper Dimension.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Those are the 3D games, I'm asking for the 2D games.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Well I played a bit of Tales of Phantasia on the GBA and it was pretty crappy imo, but fans keep telling me its the port.
Crappy is a understatement. Play the ps1 version.

Im mending this thread to include Korean MMO's. Fuck you.
Because Im never not gonna pass on a chance to relive nostalgia of Trickster Online. First MMO. Played it for 10 years. Was level 214.
Same group of friends. Same broken ass cat that couldn't die.
Got me into the love of speccing characters out.

Charming premise. Cute enemies. Lovely pixel animations. Shit loads of customization for what it was. Great fucking game. Only real issues were some of the roadblocks and certain raid requirements were tedious.