• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I got a Steam Deck!

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
It took a hell of a long time for it to be my turn in the queue but I finally got a Steam Deck! 512GB model, specifically.
It runs a lot of games like a charm! Even handles emulation just fine, at least PS2 emulation anyways. It being Linux based, it was a pain in the ass to get 7zip to work on it. I really like how it feels in the hand; the analog sticks are slightly difficult to reach unfortunately, but the bottom fits so perfectly in my hand its COMFY.
I will say after having tried Death Stranding on it, I think I must implore anyone interested in this to not get it for the GRAFIX. Modern AAA games are not going to look amazing on this thing. They'll run well enough, and they'll run better than on a Switch, but don't expect the most beautiful thing ever.

FTX459PWIAUCtdr
FTYDMk2XwAMJJNa

FTYdmQhXwAAHipu
FTYEBlMXEAU8upi

SirRob

Cool, hope you enjoy it. I’d say, “you should do twitch streams with it!” but then I remembered you can just do that on your PC.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Ewwwww, I see Final Fantasy II, wretched game.

Stratelier

Given how much time I've put into Switch games I have been occasionally considering getting one of these, but the primary game I would play on it is Monster Hunter World and that's definitely one question I want to verify an answer for before making a decision -- and Valve doesn't have an answer yet (game is listed as "Unknown" currently).

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Ewwwww, I see Final Fantasy II, wretched game.
I'm really liking it! I like the way stats increase depending on what you do in battle, and it's neat being able to give anyone any magic I want. I also like how much more story oriented than ff1 it is! Pretty tragic too.
Given how much time I've put into Switch games I have been occasionally considering getting one of these, but the primary game I would play on it is Monster Hunter World and that's definitely one question I want to verify an answer for before making a decision -- and Valve doesn't have an answer yet (game is listed as "Unknown" currently).
I'd tell you how it runs but sadly I don't have Monster Hunter World >.<

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
I'm really liking it! I like the way stats increase depending on what you do in battle, and it's neat being able to give anyone any magic I want. I also like how much more story oriented than ff1 it is! Pretty tragic too.
Literally no one likes FFII.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Literally no one likes FFII.
well then consider my name Trisha "No One" Cat. My gf likes FF2 as well.
I do wonder if people who hate ff2 have played any of the versions made after the nes version
I think they fixed some issues with the game? Either that or I'm just weird, I've never played the original version of the game, just the Dawn of Souls release and the Pixel Remaster.

Last edited:

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
Now I'm almost interested. I'm trying to save up for a new computer for gaming, but now I wonder if I just need a Steam Deck.

Can it record videos?

Can it play other games like MUGEN or fangames?

Those are two big things for me.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Can it record videos?

Can it play other games like MUGEN or fangames?
I don't see why not on the videos part; if nothing else its partly just a Linux computer, you should be able to download software like OBS or something to record video.
As for MUGEN, I'll test that out tonight if you'd like! Anything that has a Linux build works, and anything that runs in Proton works. I'll download Mugen tonight and let you know what happens.

Stratelier

I do wonder if people who hate ff2 have played any of the versions made after the nes version
I think they fixed some issues with the game?
Part of the criticism is just FF2's core underlying design, i.e. no level/exp points you just grind individual stats.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Part of the criticism is just FF2's core underlying design, i.e. no level/exp points you just grind individual stats.
But you don't even need to grind any of them really, your stats will be where they need to be just from general adventuring. Hardest part is keeping magic level up I suppose and that's easy as just using magic sometimes on generic mobs

Stratelier

But because the skill system is freeform, your main characters are essentially interchangeable in combat, can equip anything with the same proficiency (relative to grinding). And the same applies to the spell list, it all feels "samey" and interchangeable and having to grind spells out individually to keep up is a chore. It just ... wasn't fun.

Oh, I also remember the world map being mostly open and you could easily wander into a high-level area you weren't prepared for. And while that may be your fault for straying from the story progression, depending on your specific stat grind the same could also happen during story progression. I forget the context of this but still remember that one time I ran into a group of enemy mobs spamming higher-level Muddle on my whole party with functionally zero resistance, it was one of the worst party wipes you could imagine.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
But because the skill system is freeform, your main characters are essentially interchangeable in combat, can equip anything with the same proficiency (relative to grinding). And the same applies to the spell list, it all feels "samey" and interchangeable and having to grind spells out individually to keep up is a chore. It just ... wasn't fun.
That's actually one of the things I like about it! You have the freedom to make characters be anything you want. And because of the proficiency system, its not very useful to give everyone the same abilities because they all need to be leveled up, so its more helpful to give some types of spells to one character, others to another, and so on. For example, Firion on my team is a swordsman with Blizzard while Maria is an archer with Cure and Fire, Guy uses axes and spears with Thunder magic. They have other spells of course, some are backups with weaker versions of magic spells others have just in case. They're classes you choose and make. It reminds me of FFV's job system but less technical (and less interesting honestly, but that's okay, its an old game).

I can totally understand preferring having set classes though. I just like what FFII does.

Stratelier

That's actually one of the things I like about it!
Yeah, it's a double-edged sword. If you put the time in to give your characters interesting skill combinations then the sky's the limit, but it's all up to YOU to put in the effort and the game offers no assistance whatsoever.