• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I hate Command and Conquer 4. I hate it. I HATE IT!!!

goatboi

(re-posted from my journal http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/1281901/ )

The music is simply fabulous (for the first time since Klepacki left).
The graphics are nice.
The acting is as cheesy as ever.
What is my problem? The game play. They simply threw out base building and classic old school RTSing that made the series great. You can’t build anymore apart from bunkers. There’s no resource gathering (and ironically, you barely see Tiberium on the maps, despite the planet’s 90% covered by the material).
Instead, you have specialized crawler units which are essentially your all-inclusive base units. You build to a unit cap with respawning command points. If a unit is destroyed or you decommission it, you get your command points back and you can build another unit for a number of determined command points.
Fine, then you blow up the AI’s crawlers, problems solved, and you can secure the map to accomplish mission specific goals, right? The little bastard can’t produce new units anymore, so problem solved, isn’t it?
Nope.
The base cralers just keep infinitely respawning! You simply can’t focus on your mission, because the AI keeps attacking without mercy! Clearing out its has units barely any effect because in a minute or two, it will attack you again with a new crawler and units as if nothing has happened.
On the other hand, if YOUR crawler gets blown up… game over!
Plus, thanks to the retarded unit cap, the game lacks any grandeur the previous games had.
Kudos for trying, but they should not have experimented on CnC, one of the granddaddies of RTS games.
World in Conflict was awesome. But there, if you secured a command point doing mission objectives, the script stopped the enemy from attacking there; thus the game was awesome.
This is a piece of turd.
R.I.P. CnC, and I hope EA stops raping your already stiff, cold body.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
None of that even touched on the fact that it's loaded with the same DRM Assassin's Creed 2 has, which for the benefit of console gamers who've never heard of it requires a constant connection to EA/Ubisoft's servers in order to play. If you lose your connection, your game is paused; After a set period of time, it boots you out, without saving your progress.

Lemme say that again:

You cannot play this game without an internet connection, regardless as to which mode you wish to play.

Imagine if Microsoft or Sony implemented something like that. Console gamers would be up in arms! And PC gamers should be. This here is pretty much the impending death of PC gaming.

Mentova

I live, I die, I live again
None of that even touched on the fact that it's loaded with the same DRM Assassin's Creed 2 has, which for the benefit of console gamers who've never heard of it requires a constant connection to EA/Ubisoft's servers in order to play. If you lose your connection, your game is paused; After a set period of time, it boots you out, without saving your progress.

Lemme say that again:

You cannot play this game without an internet connection, regardless as to which mode you wish to play.

Imagine if Microsoft or Sony implemented something like that. Console gamers would be up in arms! And PC gamers should be. This here is pretty much the impending death of PC gaming.

Seriously. I read a thread about this on my other forum that I frequent. It's some fucked up shit and I refuse to buy any ubisoft games from here on out.

goatboi

Lemme say that again:

Honestly, I forgot about that fascist crap because I am playing with the off-line crack... but yes, that alone is outrageous.

Runefox

Seriously. I read a thread about this on my other forum that I frequent. It's some fucked up shit and I refuse to buy any ubisoft games from here on out.

Not to mention when AC2 dropped, the auth servers went down for an entire weekend just after launch. And you can't generally return PC games, either! Hooray for sitting on a $60 game that you can't play just because they're scared of piracy!

Runefox

Generals and 3 weren't bad, but they weren't exactly the formula we've come to know and love. It's EA's taint, something I knew would happen when Westwood was "acquired" (and the same thing that happened with Jane's Combat Simulations, Bullfrog, Accolade, arguably Maxis, NovaLogic... Hell, may as well say half of everything on this list was embraced-extinguished).

Mentova

Not to mention when AC2 dropped, the auth servers went down for an entire weekend just after launch. And you can't generally return PC games, either! Hooray for sitting on a $60 game that you can't play just because they're scared of piracy!
Holy shit are you serious? Fuck ubisoft; I never liked their games that much since Rayman 2 anyways.

Runefox

Holy shit are you serious?

Yeah, but they removed most all of the forum posts about it (and the timestamps of the empty shell topic remaining) by now in an attempt to save face. It happened at least over the entirety of that Sunday (when it was reported by major gaming news sites), likely much earlier; Wasn't until after the weekend was over that they were able to get someone in to fix it (it being the weekend and all :V).

But of course, you know that Ubisoft is (predominantly) EA property now, too, right? I wouldn't let Ubisoft shoulder all the blame for this, considering that all EA releases going forward seem to be laden with this crap.

Last edited:

Mentova

Yeah, but they removed most all of the forum posts about it (and the timestamps of the empty shell topic remaining) by now in an attempt to save face. It happened at least over the entirety of that Sunday (when it was reported by major gaming news sites), likely much earlier; Wasn't until after the weekend was over that they were able to get someone in to fix it (it being the weekend and all :V).
Of course they would act like Nazis and silence everyone who cries out against their bullshit. Way to go ubisoft, way to go...

Now which company is the most evil? Activision or Ubisoft? :V

EDIT: I did not know about that last part. I knew DA:O forced you to log into their stupid shit to play it, same with BC2, but you can at least play them offline. If the "always have a connection" crap becomes an industry standard... I'm giving up on gaming...

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
Generals and 3 weren't bad, but they weren't exactly the formula we've come to know and love. It's EA's taint, something I knew would happen when Westwood was "acquired" (and the same thing that happened with Jane's Combat Simulations, Bullfrog, Accolade, arguably Maxis, NovaLogic... Hell, may as well say half of everything on this list was embraced-extinguished).
EA fucking ruined Janes. I like playing some of the newer CNC, but my love affair ended after RA2.

Runefox

Now which company is the most evil? Activision or Ubisoft? :V
Well, I'd say EA. EA owns probably the biggest single chunk of Ubisoft shares, and they're using the same DRM going forward. So... Considering their past evils and their current evils, I'd have to say yeah. EA. Definitely.

Activision, as much as they kick and scream, will only ever follow in EA's footsteps. EA has done more damage to the diversity and innovation in the gaming world than any other company likely ever will. Activision, to their credit is again doing a good job of trying to do exactly the same thing in the world of decade-and-a-half-later, but I wonder if they can pull off quite the same amount of collateral damage with the current industry's climate.

Mentova

Well, I'd say EA. EA owns probably the biggest single chunk of Ubisoft shares, and they're using the same DRM going forward. So... Considering their past evils and their current evils, I'd have to say yeah. EA. Definitely.

Activision, as much as they kick and scream, will only ever follow in EA's footsteps. EA has done more damage to the diversity and innovation in the gaming world than any other company likely ever will. Activision, to their credit is again doing a good job of trying to do exactly the same thing in the world of decade-and-a-half-later, but I wonder if they can pull off quite the same amount of collateral damage with the current industry's climate.
I guess you have a point there. Activision has been doing some assholeish shit recently though, with their CEO (I think that's who it was) talking about taking the fun out of game development, being assholes to IW about MW2, trying to get Brutal Legend from being released, etc.

Runefox

I guess you have a point there. Activision has been doing some assholeish shit recently though, with their CEO (I think that's who it was) talking about taking the fun out of game development, being assholes to IW about MW2, trying to get Brutal Legend from being released, etc.

Oh, I'm well aware of the crap ActiBlizzard's been pulling, but I don't really think that the things they've done as of late (horrendous though they are) compare to the sheer scale of what EA has done, especially in the earlier, tender days of PC gaming, back when simulations and adventure games still... Well, existed. What we have now is a market saturated and intensely focused on several very specific genres of games that make money, and I can't help but think that EA had a big hand in that. I can't fault a company for trying to make money, but at the same time, the industry in general has become so diluted...

Mentova

Oh, I'm well aware of the crap ActiBlizzard's been pulling, but I don't really think that the things they've done as of late (horrendous though they are) compare to the sheer scale of what EA has done, especially in the earlier, tender days of PC gaming, back when simulations and adventure games still... Well, existed. What we have now is a market saturated and intensely focused on several very specific genres of games that make money, and I can't help but think that EA had a big hand in that. I can't fault a company for trying to make money, but at the same time, the industry in general has become so diluted...
It really has. Tech might be getting better, but gaming as a whole is pretty low right now. It's no longer has an art mentality and is now all about money and shovelware. Not to mention instead of being about having fun most gamers are all "LOOK AT ME I'M BETTER THAN YOU BECAUSE I PLAY ON <X> SYSTEM, HAVE AN <X> K/D RATIO/SCORE, AND HAVE BETTER EQUIPMENT THEN YOU". Look at the thread about that anime furry game and how I'm getting bitched out for having an XBL account as an example.

I miss the good ol' days of LAN parties and jokingly trash talking your friends instead of having a 12 year old call you a "n-word faggot jew" because he has more points than me.

goatboi

It really has. Tech might be getting better, but gaming as a whole is pretty low right now. It's no longer has an art mentality and is now all about money and shovelware. Not to mention instead of being about having fun most gamers are all "LOOK AT ME I'M BETTER THAN YOU BECAUSE I PLAY ON <X> SYSTEM, HAVE AN <X> K/D RATIO/SCORE, AND HAVE BETTER EQUIPMENT THEN YOU". Look at the thread about that anime furry game and how I'm getting bitched out for having an XBL account as an example.

I miss the good ol' days of LAN parties and jokingly trash talking your friends instead of having a 12 year old call you a "n-word faggot jew" because he has more points than me.

Not to mention achievement whoring. I am sick of it.

T

Tewin Follow

SHOOTAN GENERIC ENEMY NATIONS

Those games are all pretty much the same thing.
Also... your avatar... D:

Mentova

Not to mention achievement whoring. I am sick of it.
I actually don't mind achievement whoring if the devs make good ones instead of using them as bullshit ways to get gamers to squeeze more playing time in. Of course if people use them to show off and gloat then yes, they are douchebags.