• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

i hate new tech

switchbladefights

The Patron Saint Of Switchblade Fights
i hate crypto i hate streaming things i hate free trials and subscription services i hate bluetooth i just want a goddamn physical copy of everything i enjoy so i dont have to worry about whatever getting taken down or some bs. like, i still burn music onto cds. am i fucking insane? feel free to add your own rants.

T

TurbidCyno

the-mandalorian-this-is-the-way.gif

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I like Bluetooth because it works well. Hate the battery life part though.

I hate subscriptions because it's now turning into what cable was, especially in Canada. Paying out the arse in hopes of finding a decent show to watch because they can't get the same licenses as they do in the u.s. Not to mention some services are completely unavailable to us.

I hate Spotify. I want to buy and own my music forever. I refuse to use itunes. But even if they did sell CDs in a store, my PC didn't come with a CD player.

Can't say I wanna go back to burning discs though, cause I'd use them so much and they'd be scratched to death within the week.

I miss instruction booklets in game cases. I like that they have the convenience of selling digital copies of games but I prefer physical, especially since it means saving on storage space.

I hate that cellphones and PCs come with so much junk attached to them now. I don't care for candy crush, I don't care about the 50 other apps you preinstalled, just give me talk, text, and photos that save onto my phone and NOT Google photos...

Bring back my mp3s!!!

Hmm what else...

Bluefangcat

The erasing of ownership feels like its being pushed harder and harder these days. In agreement with Sushy there. Subscribe to this! Sign up for that service! I definitely got fed up with not feeling like I really owned what I was paying for and just started collecting dvds and burning cds again. Having the physical object has a different feeling, and its much more personal.

Really miss mp3 players. Every time I find an old one its a time capsule of a period in my life. Doing that with playlists online isnt the same, as the songs can be taken down at any time and you might not even know about it. Dont like that one bit. Howeeeever.. I definitely dont miss how often the mp3 players needed charging or batteries haha

And on the topic of music accessories- bluetooth headphones are the worst. Why is it so trendy to make something so small more uncomfortable, more expensive, less customizable, and even easier to lose?!

The_Happiest_Husky

Average 100 rated chess player
I remember playing Halo Reach. You get the disk, stick it in, boom full game. And awesome one too, I'm still playing it

Then I look at the live service shitshow of Halo Infinite and get mad. Just, why?
and EA/DICE pretty much just ended the Battlefield series with the 2042 disaster

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!
I agree with this sentiment. I like physical copies of games and books. Pdfs dont cut it for me, if I see a DnD thing that is only on pdf I always print it out. For physical video games you might want to check out Limited Run Games. They make physical copies of otherwise digital only games.

ben909

vaporeon character != mushroom characters
WHY MUST LIGHT BULBS AND SUCH NOW CONNECT TO WIFI, IOT THINGS JUST USE UP ALL THE RADIO FREQUENCIES

Regret

Insert Witticism Here
To an extent, yeah. That's one of the reasons I just log out of everything and go backpacking in the woods for a little while just to get away from how pervasive it is.

Everything is now always online, requires a subscription, needs to link accounts and apps together, spams emails, tracks your location by your phone. Work can now follow you anywhere at anytime and woe to the kids that will never experience the righteous glory of snow-days because that can also now follow them home via zoom and online teaching which is all incredibly sad to see.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
MOST of the smart-tech movement bothers me.

I will never have anything voice-activated in my home, especially given my problems with echolalia.

There are a few live-service games I bother with, but that's strictly due to the fact those games couldn't really exist any other way (unlike a disturbing number of live-service games these days) and none of them are by the big giants like Ubisoft. (In fact, the two I bother with are by Digital Extremes and Fatshark Games. There used to be a third game by a company named Mediatonic, but I overdid it and burned out on it.)

I do have a few Bluetooth speakers, but that's before I realized I could get plugged-in ones and even wire them to my tablet with the right adapter. Also, they're the most absolute basic type of speaker. For the rest? Wired all the way.

I miss the instruction booklets because they often had funny comments to them, but I will NOT miss the days of 'feelies' that were used for copy protection. They're an interesting collector's relic and that's IT.

PDFs are actually the one that doesn't bother me, and solely because my area is not known for its indie publications. Thousands of books on a tablet, easy. I still find physical books far easier to reference, given how few people actually try to make their PDFs properly.

L

LameFox

Same, though I'm not sure I'd call it "new tech". It's not like it has to be this way for technological reasons, they do it because the entities designing and selling the tech exist to extract money from people as effectively and efficiently as they can.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Remembering a bajilion different passwords that all need to be changed at random intervals.
For my work I need a new email and password.
Okay.
Then I need to use that same email and password to login to the server.
Okaythen verify with 2fa from your cellphone.
Okaythen if you want to sign into this employee site you need a new password
But wait
You also need to use your employee number as the username
Also this other employee resource, it requires you to only use the first half of your email name, and you can't use the same password as your main login
And then there's this other employee page where --

switchbladefights

Same, though I'm not sure I'd call it "new tech". It's not like it has to be this way for technological reasons, they do it because the entities designing and selling the tech exist to extract money from people as effectively and efficiently as they can.
ig modern probably would have been a better word? obviously none of this stuff is new but i just... HATE the way its forced on everyone these days i guess.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
ig modern probably would have been a better word? obviously none of this stuff is new but i just... HATE the way its forced on everyone these days i guess.
Tech is one thing. Good and useful new tech is great to have. But the marketing ploys (or rather exploits), that's where the problem resides.

All these subscription things tend to be just proverbial cancer. Personally I avoid them altogether. I chose a phone with near-stock Android to avoid app clutter. After having used Linux for quite some time, logging into to Windows to do some specific stuff was a little shock: does it really have to be that messy?? And I don't even mean needless applications (though these too) but the process manager, OMFG. All manners of shit being done in the background, grinding the CPU, filling the RAM, for no good reason. Fucking new drivers being uninstalled to be replaced with older version, I mean, why?...

WHY MUST LIGHT BULBS AND SUCH NOW CONNECT TO WIFI, IOT THINGS JUST USE UP ALL THE RADIO FREQUENCIES
I know right? Remotely controlled light bulbs is some recent craze and for many a synonym to "smart home" it seems, people don't realize that this existed like since forever, and in a form that didn't require smartphone, just a simple remote. Also, I had "USB sockets in an oven" as an in-joke for useless technological developments but is seems like at this rate we're going to get it soon.

Luckily the kinds of music that I like aren't bound to Spotify, I'm fine with YouTube for that and can even make mp3's out of things that I'm listening over and over. If you happen to be looking for a standalone mp3 player device, Sansa is one company I can personally recommend, they haven't abandoned this market segment. Their newer models have even Bluetooth option.

Speaking of which, seems like I've been lucky with my BT headset. Doesn't lose the connection and the battery holds for so long that I almost forget it needs charging. Though I'm not one of these people keeping headphones on 24/7 for sure. Then again, those tiny in-ear headphones seem pretty useless to me, I'd lose them within 2 hours.

One thing about which I don't agree with others is digital distribution of games. In my complete middle of nowhere it was a godsend, it made me stop pirating things. For whatever reason (taxes?), physical copies tended to be significantly more expensive than digital ones for me. Add to this the hassle of ordering physical ones from some catalogue (there was no store with such things anywhere near) and non-negligible shipment costs. Also with the digital ones it's much easier to hit a discount.

I prefer physical copies of books to digital ones, but again, digital distribution allowed me to put my paws on things that I could never obtain physically, unless at an unreasonable cost. Also with my tendency for book hoarding, it's really practical that not all of them have a physical form.

General purpose social media is also something I can't stand. I value my privacy and the need to have the whole world know what I'm doing is utterly incomprehensible and alien to me.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
whaaat? Does that happen in Windows 10?! :O
Exactly. On two different machines at that.

I have this HP laptop with Ryzen 4500U processor with integrated graphics. I got it last summer, it had no system preinstalled. It was hard to install the Radeon drivers in Windows already at the beginning (while Linux Manjaro installed some "recommended" drivers without any issues). Later it turned out that upon Windows update, these drivers are being removed and replaced with some 2-years-old "default" version! After the situation repeated itself about 3 times, I managed to block it in the system policy editor.

However, then there's my wife's old Lenovo. I believe it was Windows 8 originally, got upgraded to 10 at some point. Upon each and every bigger update (those that require restart) it installs wrong wifi driver! It loses wifi connectivity altogether afterwards and there's nothing one can do except total network reset. It restores the "correct" driver, somehow, but all wifi settings are lost and passwords have to be re-entered. And I can't block it there cause it's Win 10 Home Edition and it doesn't have such option... There's some "invasive" way to achieve this but as she's using the laptop a lot for her studies, we decided that it's not worth it to risk destabilizing the entire system.

Compared to that, Linux requires some limited tweaking after installation but it turned out to be very smooth sailing afterwards.

Frisky17532

I still get mp3s because of Bandcamp, Ektoplazm and netlabels on archive.org, got an external cd drive for some old electronic compilations I get off Discogs. I like ebooks though, much less wasteful than physical books and I have all of Project Gutenberg to check out

switchbladefights

Good and useful new tech is great to have. But the marketing ploys (or rather exploits), that's where the problem resides.
i think you just worded my whole point better than i could... =w=;; like dont get me wrong some more recent tech developments have been nice and useful in my opinion but theyre vastly outweighed by programs that lock basic features behind a subscription paywall just because they can and devices with basic functionality removed for no fucking reason

P

PLEASE DELETE ACCOUNT

Compared to that, Linux requires some limited tweaking after installation but it turned out to be very smooth sailing afterwards.
Someone does not remember the pure hell that was installing networking drivers on linux for the longest time.

God forbid you had a broadcom bcm43(IIRC) based networking card (like an atheros, a dell, a lenovo, an apple, almost every PCMCIA and Express card wifi card, and so on)
you'd have to build your own driver, with ndiswrapper from the windows executable, and literally every time you updated your system you would have to rebuild it because the update would clear out and over write the kernel injection that ndiswrapper set up for you.