• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

i hate new tech

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
i've got a better question for you: why are you still talking about this? everyone has already moved on and it's totally off-topic anyway so why do you feel the need to drudge up something that's already run it's course?
shrug

QueenSekhmet

A Nightmare Dressed Like A Daydream
Option 3, work on your anger issues

NFTs are dumb tho, I just received two offers the other day, it sounded pretty scammy
NFTs are a straight up scam. "give me $1000+ and i'll give you the rights to the link to this picture that i randomly generated" is utter nonsense at it's finest yet people somehow actually go for it.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
NFTs are a straight up scam. "give me $1000+ and i'll give you the rights to the link to this picture that i randomly generated" is utter nonsense at it's finest yet people somehow actually go for it.
I think Justin Bieber's NFT says it all and shows a lot of introspection, a fascinating look into the terminal stage of post modernist cancer
1652103635176.png

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
to be fair,that's one of the better looking one's: just wait until you see the REALLY ugly NFTs.
I know them and why they look ugly, they're randomly generated so some of them combine elements and colors that don't go well together. At least according to Solar sands, and I find that it makes sense

QueenSekhmet

I know them and why they look ugly, they're randomly generated so some of them combine elements and colors that don't go well together. At least according to Solar sands, and I find that it makes sense
yet people are still dropping $1000+ on them.

Fluxbender

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it, a lot of modern art doesn't exactly look more appealing than that and took even less effort to make
There was one that was a painting made from elephant shit that sold for 2.3 million. Stuff like that just grinds my gears. So many artists who can't even break 100 followers (let alone make money), but this asshole's living pretty off what looks like a child's fingerpainting made from literal shit. And then there's the ones that are just blocks of color on a canvas that sell for millions too.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
And then there's the ones that are just blocks of color on a canvas that sell for millions too.
.......okay, it honestly sounds like you're describing a Jackson Pollock painting when you say this.

Got an example that demonstrates the difference?

Fluxbender

.......okay, it honestly sounds like you're describing a Jackson Pollock painting when you say this.

I have no idea who that is.

Here are some examples of what I mean by 'blocks of color on a canvas':

Anyone here can make a painting like those, yet they sold for millions.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
I have no idea who that is.

Here are some examples of what I mean by 'blocks of color on a canvas':

Anyone here can make a painting like those, yet they sold for millions.
......DAMN. My apologies for ever comparing those to Jackson Pollock! Sheesh, your disdain of the blocks of color is fully justified.

.....since you say you have no idea who that is, let me pull up a reference: https://www.wikiart.org/en/jackson-pollock

Pieces like "Number 5" and "Mural" were what was on my brain when I made that comparison.

Fluxbender

Yeah those don't look like 'blocks of color' at all. "Number 5" looked like marble or granite to me at first glance, but it was achieved with a controlled-chaos method of paint dripping where you can tell he had a rhythm. Something like that takes thought and effort, unlike the examples I gave.

TR273

Pirate Fox Mom
New tech in cars...
Specifically the plethora of sensors.
Do I need to know that the pressure in one of the tyres has changed?
No, if it's a puncture I'll hear the air hissing out the next time I get out, if it's an explosive puncture then a sensor is going to do exactly nothing to help.
I do not need to know the exhaust gas temperature....and I certainly don't need a cruddy sensor that gets clogged with soot then thinks there is a problem and puts the car in 'limp mode' until I replace the sensor.
I've had more trouble with this car than any other I've owned and in almost every case it's been an unnecessary bit of tech getting some dust in the wrong place.

The only serious mechanical fault I had was when the alternator decided to suddenly dismantle itself, and none of the sensors warned me about that.

P

PLEASE DELETE ACCOUNT

New tech in cars...
Specifically the plethora of sensors.
Do I need to know that the pressure in one of the tyres has changed?
No, if it's a puncture I'll hear the air hissing out the next time I get out, if it's an explosive puncture then a sensor is going to do exactly nothing to help.
I do not need to know the exhaust gas temperature....and I certainly don't need a cruddy sensor that gets clogged with soot then thinks there is a problem and puts the car in 'limp mode' until I replace the sensor.
I've had more trouble with this car than any other I've owned and in almost every case it's been an unnecessary bit of tech getting some dust in the wrong place.

The only serious mechanical fault I had was when the alternator decided to suddenly dismantle itself, and none of the sensors warned me about that.
I'm actually going to respond to these because those are all around bad hot takes from an engineering, environmental, and a long term use of a car perspective (newer cars per mile traveled are cheaper to maintain and own than older ones, on average. they have longer service intervals, and longer parts lives, and are generally more fuel efficient - with the major caveat being its almost always cleaner to continue to use the older car until its not viable as you are not contributing it to a landfill, nor are you involved in the consumerism cycle of purchasing a new car, creating more demand, which creates incentives to produce even more cars (whole different can o worms there)
  1. Tyre Pressure - yes. Under inflated tires waste a considerable amount of fuel, and damage the tire sidewall shortening their life. If its severely under inflated it can heat up and either the sidewall tears, or the tread delaminates in a rather violent fashion and can possibly cause a wreck. activeTPMS is a great thing, they last for 7-10 years before needing to be replaced making them last almost as long as most people keep a car, and indirect TPMS has no sensor in the wheel itself and never has to be replaced (its the ABS sensor those usually last for the life of a car, its just a hall effect sensor) Vulcanized rubber is not easily recycled and most of it gets stored in massive open pit dumps where they often can catch on fire releasing clouds of noxious and deadly fumes. Proper inflation is key to keeping tires as long as is possible, and reducing our consumption which means less waste goes to those landfills. Also you have to have a pretty large puncture to hear it leaking unless you are actively looking for said leak. Most people do not check their tires regularly, TPMS is created to remind them to do so.
  2. EGT's are important for emissions - you might not care, or directly need to know it, but the ECU does. Too high and it leads to a increase in N0x, and too high still it can degrade or even destroy the catalytic converter. high EGT's also will destroy turbos, and they can be an indicator for running too lean or other combustion issues( and indicate a failing fuel system, failing airflow meter, etc etc) Running too lean, too hot will reduce the life of basically all engine components. Likewise running too cold and rich will wash down valve seats, and piston walls and rings leading to premature wear and loss of compression - before that happens though the catalytic converter will be glowing orange hot and have melted...
  3. If that's a Typo and it was supposed to be EGR: that's also important for emissions and actually can tie back into the EGT. EGR replaces some metered air with oxygen devoid exhaust, which reduces oxygen in the cylinder that in turn cools the combustion down. It keeps cars cleaner, and it can ward off pre-detonation that erodes the combustion chamber internals (skirts, rings, valve seats etc) EGR also saves fuel at idle, light loads, and in some cases off throttle ( most cars cut off the injectors off throttle, but they come back online starting around 1700 RPM gradually - usually regardless of throttle - displacing some metered air with spent air, which reduces the fuel trim requirement IE it uses less fuel with EGR)
  4. Most cars made in the last 40-50 years DO have an alternator warning (specifically for over voltage, or under voltage) it cant really warn you of an instant mechanical failure true, but it will alert you to a failed diode, a poor ground, or lose connection. Those warnings can save the battery, or even some of the more expensive control modules, if you heed them, and keep you from getting stuck in the middle of no- where. My car is almost 40 years old now and it has such a warning lamp.
These are all GOOD things.

My car predates the first two, it also predates knock sensors, it predates ABS on average cars, it also predates electronic spark control, sequential EFI and a host of other things. It would be a significantly cleaner running car that requires less religious upkeep if it had more modern control systems.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

I think Rothko was famous for blocks of colour.
.width-340_YYOCfyX.jpg

To be honest I just get the impression that rich people agree these are worth extortionate sums so they can launder money or exempt it from tax.

In that respect 'NFTs' are nothing new. It's just that, since they are completely intangible and not equivalent to the art they are attached to, there is no means for anybody to argue that an NFT itself possesses abstract artistic worth that normal people are too dumb to appreciate.

Fluxbender

To be honest I just get the impression that rich people agree these are worth extortionate sums so they can launder money or exempt it from tax.
You might be on to something... It doesn't make sense that someone would pay so much for something they could easily make themself.

Faustus

modern art doesn't steal shit from artists and hurt the planet.

skynews-banana-duct-tape-maurizio-cattelan_4858074.jpg

THIS is a banana duct-taped to a wall. It is, allegedly, art. It sold for $120,000. The artist went on to duct-tape two more bananas to walls, fetching $120,000 and $150,000 respectively. The artist did not MAKE this banana. The artist did not MAKE the duct tape. The artist BOUGHT a roll of duct tape and a bunch of bananas for less than five bucks, duct-taped them to a wall taking maybe a minute or so, and then sold the result for more money than many people make in five years.

I'd rather have a bloody NFT.

(And I HATE NFTs.)

QueenSekhmet

View attachment 132075

THIS is a banana duct-taped to a wall. It is, allegedly, art. It sold for $120,000. The artist went on to duct-tape two more bananas to walls, fetching $120,000 and $150,000 respectively. The artist did not MAKE this banana. The artist did not MAKE the duct tape. The artist BOUGHT a roll of duct tape and a bunch of bananas for less than five bucks, duct-taped them to a wall taking maybe a minute or so, and then sold the result for more money than many people make in five years.

I'd rather have a bloody NFT.

(And I HATE NFTs.)
while that is all well and good,i fail to see your point.

Faustus

while that is all well and good,i fail to see your point.
My point is, some art is arguably as bad as NFTs when it comes to scamming people. The really sad thing is that the art community allows this kind of BS to go on, as if it had some kind of value. It's a damn berry sellotaped to the wall. If I nailed a cantaloupe to a stick, do you think I'd get even 50c for it?

QueenSekhmet

My point is, some art is arguably as bad as NFTs when it comes to scamming people. The really sad thing is that the art community allows this kind of BS to go on, as if it had some kind of value. It's a damn berry sellotaped to the wall. If I nailed a cantaloupe to a stick, do you think I'd get even 50c for it?
honestly,anyone that is buying a banana taped to a wall is even more stupid than a NFTer: at least NFTers are being told their thing will be worth something in a few years while the taped banana will go bad in a couple of weeks tops. either way there are lot's of ways to be stupid and both taped banana buyers and NFTers are just two of the many out there.

Stylish-Lupine

Funky Artist
I think Crypto has overstepped it's realm, it was never meant to be a speculators investment, but rather a value representation of something computationally tangible, some still are like that, the value is in the use of the network, be that a dVPN, or a ring signature system.

but on the whole I agree that we exist in a DRM ridden hellscape of mass surveillance, I want the internet to go back to the good old days of web1, where it was a the wild west, or to get it's pants on and figure out web3, where you still control all your data.