• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

i hate new tech

Faustus

honestly,anyone that is buying a banana taped to a wall is even more stupid than a NFTer: at least NFTers are being told their thing will be worth something in a few years while the taped banana will go bad in a couple of weeks tops. either way there are lot's of ways to be stupid and both taped banana buyers and NFTers are just two of the many out there.
I'd say that there's a strong expectation amongst most people that something described as 'art' will increase in value. Anyway, the first duct-tape-banana will definitely never go off, because the silly sod ate it. (He was a performance artist, and he called the act of eating the banana 'Hungry Artist'... makes me want to weep.)

If you look at some of the NFTs being sold though, it's equally hard to imagine why anyone would think they will increase in value, especially since many people don't even understand Blockchain. They've just seen what happened with Bitcoin and think it might happen again.

QueenSekhmet

A Nightmare Dressed Like A Daydream
I'd say that there's a strong expectation amongst most people that something described as 'art' will increase in value. Anyway, the first duct-tape-banana will definitely never go off, because the silly sod ate it. (He was a performance artist, and he called the act of eating the banana 'Hungry Artist'... makes me want to weep.)

If you look at some of the NFTs being sold though, it's equally hard to imagine why anyone would think they will increase in value, especially since many people don't even understand Blockchain. They've just seen what happened with Bitcoin and think it might happen again.
remember beanie babies? everyone thought THOSE would make you rich so people hoarded them for years but because they still make beanie babies,that never happened. case in point is that people are always looking for a quick buck and you'll always get the people that think someone will be worth a fortune years from now but end up not being worth much at all and that's basically what a NFTer is. anyone paying that much to eat a banana,though is next level stupid.

Faustus

Yeah, when NFTs first started being talked about, I thought 'What a good idea! Finally a way for a digital artist to prove their ownership of a piece of art, and easily transfer that ownership to a third party!' If only it had actually worked like that.

QueenSekhmet

A Nightmare Dressed Like A Daydream
Yeah, when NFTs first started being talked about, I thought 'What a good idea! Finally a way for a digital artist to prove their ownership of a piece of art, and easily transfer that ownership to a third party!' If only it had actually worked like that.
it's always just one thing after another: a fad is a fad no matter how much people think it's here to stay. people are just monkeys trading beads for slightly better beads even if all the beads are just as worthless.

Stylish-Lupine

Funky Artist
cut out the monetization aspect entirely, and NFTs would not be a bad method of proof of ownership.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
My point is, some art is arguably as bad as NFTs when it comes to scamming people. The really sad thing is that the art community allows this kind of BS to go on, as if it had some kind of value. It's a damn berry sellotaped to the wall. If I nailed a cantaloupe to a stick, do you think I'd get even 50c for it?

Somebody buying a banana for the price of a house is definitely disguising a drug deal.

Fluxbender

I want the internet to go back to the good old days of web1, where it was a the wild west, or to get it's pants on and figure out web3, where you still control all your data.
Same. The closest you're going to get is Neocities.com, and even that is a mere echo of what the net used to be like.

remember beanie babies? everyone thought THOSE would make you rich so people hoarded them for years but because they still make beanie babies
Some beanie babies are worth a lot of money now, but only the editions they don't make anymore. But you can make quite a bit from any old out-of-production toy line (provided that you have all the pieces in good quality, and you can get even more if you still have the box).

Fallowfox

I hate the trending search terms and news content that microsoft puts in the windows taskbar or menu bars.

Every so often they release an update to their OS which adds new unwanted features like this, and I spend the first part of my day figuring out how to disable them.

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
So, one more bit of disappointment is Apple’s announcement that it will stop making iPods. Of course, there are other devices, but the emphasis now is on streaming rather than actually keeping music on the device. You can still keep your music library with you, but I’m concerned they’re going to make that less user friendly in favor of streaming.

I went into this expecting not to agree, but I actually agree with a lot of this.

I really dislike social media, I don't have an account on any of the big socials like Twitter, but I still open them every now and then because I know people who use them. They're unavoidable to a truly worrying degree. Still, what really bothers me is how hard it is to find "new things" on most social media. To find new things, you have to search random words or look through people's profiles in hopes of finding something you haven't heard of. You can't scroll through the main feed because everything they show you is "hot" or "popular".

Most social media funnels you into a little box based on what you "like", and then they only show you more of that thing you like over and over. It's very hard to break out of that box once you're in it. Worse yet, almost every social media site has removed the ability to look at a feed of the newest content. I won't ramble about algorithms or some of the downright oppressive ways these sites basically throw out content that they don't want people to see, but... man...

I also miss knobs, dials, and buttons. Digital stuff wears out fast and is so much more annoying (and expensive) to replace.

I used to think it was cute when my washing machine played a little song after it finished a load, but now I wake up in a cold sweat after having nightmares of that deranged little tune playing off-key, my washing machine laughing at me as I'm on the brink of tears, tearing the whole thing apart and piecing it back together and praying I don't break any of those obscenely tiny clips on the board just to get that one stupid button to work I don't want to buy another board please I'm gonna cry

sushy

Gundam Meister
I went into this expecting not to agree, but I actually agree with a lot of this.

I really dislike social media, I don't have an account on any of the big socials like Twitter, but I still open them every now and then because I know people who use them. They're unavoidable to a truly worrying degree. Still, what really bothers me is how hard it is to find "new things" on most social media. To find new things, you have to search random words or look through people's profiles in hopes of finding something you haven't heard of. You can't scroll through the main feed because everything they show you is "hot" or "popular".

Most social media funnels you into a little box based on what you "like", and then they only show you more of that thing you like over and over. It's very hard to break out of that box once you're in it. Worse yet, almost every social media site has removed the ability to look at a feed of the newest content. I won't ramble about algorithms or some of the downright oppressive ways these sites basically throw out content that they don't want people to see, but... man...

I also miss knobs, dials, and buttons. Digital stuff wears out fast and is so much more annoying (and expensive) to replace.

I used to think it was cute when my washing machine played a little song after it finished a load, but now I wake up in a cold sweat after having nightmares of that deranged little tune playing off-key, my washing machine laughing at me as I'm on the brink of tears, tearing the whole thing apart and piecing it back together and praying I don't break any of those obscenely tiny clips on the board just to get that one stupid button to work I don't want to buy another board please I'm gonna cry
Yeah I am frustrated with social media too, both as a creator and consumer. I want to see new things too, but it really focuses on just showing what is popular. As an artist it is hard to attract an audience because the algorithm favours what is popular already.

Do you have a Samsung washing macine? Mine plays a song too XD I do find it funny but last time it suggested that I activate "SmartThings" so that it can perform better. HOW ABOUT NO
I have seen Terminator, we all know where this ends...............

Inferndragon

Dragon Doodler with a Tail Snake

Yeah that's the problem with Social media in general. Imeem was my original Social media platform sharing music between other users and so on. Then Myspace... Then people moved over to Facebook. Deleted Facebook. Moved over to Twitter as it was less intrusive at the time.

Twitter getting more and more full of garbage. Top Tweets/Likes of said users... They keep making the platform as useful as a chocolate teapot.
The only thing they care is you to see garbage stories from the media platforms that i clearly muted/blocked...
Had to install programs like "Hide twitter trends extention" that literally gets rid of one of the most toxic things about twitter itself.

There is also a star at the top of your page that enables tweets when they happen (You also have to click on the persons profile... Following is not enough. You need to click on the bell icon to actually see all the content from them.

herness

I hate that people spend the whole day in social networks instead of talking to each other in real life.
I use my phone mostly to make some calls, send microsoft teams sms and all that for work purposes only.
With the friends and family i prefer to spend time together without gadgets.

Last edited:
The thread about phones reminded me of how I had to replace my favorite phone which never stopped working - simply because my service no longer supported it. The real salt in the wound is that a lot of newer phones seem to be getting less and less durable. The battery life on my new phone is a joke.

So, something else I hate about new technology: Planned obsolescence.

I know planned obsolescence is nothing new, but I'm only in my 20's and the difference in durability between stuff I had growing up and stuff I have now is staggering.

Fallowfox

Planned obsolescence is a crime against the Earth. Fill up all the landfills with broken bits of consumer electronics so that we can sell new ones, exhaust every gold mine so that people can buy essentially the same iphone every 5 years.

Fluxbender

You can't scroll through the main feed because everything they show you is "hot" or "popular".
So many sites have had this issue for years and I really frecking hate it. It makes it almost impossible for newcomers to grow, because their content is automatically ranked at the bottom and never shows on those lists. Having a 'hot/popular/trending' list in the first place only nurses a 'rich get richer' situation that guarantees those same hotshots will always be at the top. Friggin' ridiculous!!

Baud

Oh boy it's a deer
Oh boy I could talk about this for hours. I hate the way websites and web applications have evolved, and as someone who has to work analyzing web applications pretty often I get fed up real easily. I hate what videogames have become and what the major publishers keep doing to them and to us customers. I will always prefer physical copies over a digital one, I don't trust any company to maintain a server online for as long as I will live, and games that require you to be online for PvE and single player stuff in general have an expiration date after which they'll be unplayable forever, if I spend money on a product I'd like to get as much use out of it as possible, especially when publishers have the courage of charging so much money for them these days, without counting the loads of DLCs and microtransactions that are constantly shoved in the games conditioning the whole game design to be about frustrating the players until they pay to solve issues put there for no reason other than making money.
And finally I can't put to words why but I really really dislike smartphones. Don't ask why, I have one myself, a cheap one but still.
And this is just a fraction of what my friends have to hear when they get me started on this topic.

Fluxbender

games that require you to be online for PvE and single player stuff
AKA PC games that don't allow modding = nope! I'm playing older games instead. Sometimes I feel that there is an agenda to do away with user generated content, and always-online games are but one of the reasons why.

Baud

Oh boy it's a deer
AKA PC games that don't allow modding = nope! I'm playing older games instead. Sometimes I feel that there is an agenda to do away with user generated content, and always-online games are but one of the reasons why.
It's not that they don't want you to use and create mods, it's that they don't want to miss out on monetizing them. Just look at Bethesda's creation club, AAA developers have become masters at taking away things we used to have in most games for free, and then attempt to give them back for a price, but a lot worse: alternative endings, extra characters, cheat codes, post-story content, cosmetics...
And that's why I love older games too.

i hate crypto i hate streaming things i hate free trials and subscription services i hate bluetooth i just want a goddamn physical copy of everything i enjoy so i dont have to worry about whatever getting taken down or some bs. like, i still burn music onto cds. am i fucking insane? feel free to add your own rants.
Im worried that soon we will fully integrate into the virtual world and some dictator i could take over and if we try to express our selfs a computer program woud prevent you from expressing your freedoms.

I plan to partially live in the past. I have cassettes and vinyl for audio, alongside with a few CDs and a handful of mp3. I will need to, however, buy a nice proper VCR, as I only have a Digital 8 Sony Handycam, and it's hard to get a Video Walkman for it. Eventually, I'm going to make my own computer, most probably based on Soviet UKNC. Sadly, I will still need to use modern technology at work and at home, but it's entirely possible to integrate the old tech into the everyday use.

ThatAblaze

So many sites have had this issue for years and I really frecking hate it. It makes it almost impossible for newcomers to grow, because their content is automatically ranked at the bottom and never shows on those lists. Having a 'hot/popular/trending' list in the first place only nurses a 'rich get richer' situation that guarantees those same hotshots will always be at the top. Friggin' ridiculous!!
It certainly does.. but the platforms that don't do that aren't showing the most addictive content to the users that they possibly can... so those platforms tend to die out.