I haven't drawn anything in 8 years, how's this?

DergenTheDragon

Gentleman's agreement: No eating the local village
Title says it all, last time I picked up an art pencil was roughly 8 years ago, I've drawn Dergen a few times on my FA page. What do you think? (Contains vore art)

DergenTheDragon

That's a combination of a terrible camera, and I was thinking about lining it what I'd really like to do is colour it, but I don't have any coloured pencils :/

DergenTheDragon

Thanks my guy, I've been taken ill over the past few days. But as soon as I'm back to health, I'll carry on.

dahbastard

Title says it all, last time I picked up an art pencil was roughly 8 years ago, I've drawn Dergen a few times on my FA page. What do you think? (Contains vore art)

It's a good start. I like his rows of sharp teeth.

I think, before anything else, you should take clearer pictures of your drawings. It seems like you are proud of them, but the angles at which these pictures have been taken, combined with the poor lighting detracts from them. So, if you want people to admire what you've done more, definitely work on the presentation. Also, if you can, try to reproduce them on blank paper (I understand, if you can't).

May I ask what you mean by asking what people think? Are you looking for a critique? Are you OK with receiving constructive criticism?

DergenTheDragon

I am absolutely open to constructive criticism, I know that these could be better, however, I have a pretty poor camera. And I don't have any plain paper in any great amount. I was just asking for opinions seeing if I was on the right track, because as I mentioned it has been years since I did anything with art and I quite want to get back into it.

dahbastard

I am absolutely open to constructive criticism, I know that these could be better, however, I have a pretty poor camera. And I don't have any plain paper in any great amount. I was just asking for opinions seeing if I was on the right track, because as I mentioned it has been years since I did anything with art and I quite want to get back into it.
I understand.

You might have more access to blank paper than you think. As a boy, I didn't have access to real drawing paper, but my mom worked at a library, and they had a ton of scrap paper from old fliers, so I would use the back of those sheets to draw.

Alternatively, you might consider using a digital medium. While it doesn't compare with a typical digital art program + tablet, sketch dot io is pretty good for drawing with a mouse. I have used it in the past, and it can get the job done, as long as you aren't trying to do anything too sophisticated.

Anyway, I won't say any more about that.

If I may offer some advice, when asking for feedback, I think you should do the following:
  1. Explain what you were going for. (Example: My aim was to draw a realistic, drooling, hungry, but friendly dragon).
  2. Explain where you think you were successful (Example: I think I did his drool really well, and his smile looks friendly).
  3. Explain where you think you need work (Example: I don't think his scales ended up looking realistic enough).
That way, fellow artists can be more helpful in giving you useful critiques, because it helps them to focus on what you really need to hear. It is also easier on them.

In contrast, merely asking what others think can be very difficult on everybody involved, unless you already have people invested in your work.

I did that recently, and had a total stranger unhelpfully tell me that my work looks beginner level. They might be right, but that's not something that was useful for me to hear. And in fact, it discouraged me, which is not an effect constructive criticism should have.

Furthermore, some artists, who might have otherwise shared valuable advice might avoid saying anything at all for fear that you might be offended (which, I now know is not true :) ).

With that in mind, I would certainly be happy to offer constructive criticism, but it would help me if you could tell me those 3 things I suggested. Thanks!

Last edited:

dahbastard

one more thing. If there are specific thing you believe you failed at, and are not sure how to improve upon it, definitely mention them.

DergenTheDragon

Thanks for your help, if I was to list 3 things they probably would've been those 3. It's quite difficult for me to convey things in words I do apologise.

As for drawing Dergen, the most recent portrait of him with the mane, basically appeared to me in a dream, and so I kept redoing the sketch until I thought it looked right. I was doing it As a sketch for a friend of mine whom I rp with as Dergen.

The others I had a vague idea of what I wanted (again for rp purposes) I'd watched a couple artists on YouTube doing live draws of dragons and sort of took what they did and recreated it to the best of my ability.

Picture 1: where he's drooling, he's seen a tasty treat and he wants it. And he wants it now.
Picture 2: Friend of mine into vore (like myself), did a vore rp, then the next morning I woke up and drew Dergen after having had his food rolling around on his tongue for awhile, finally can't hold back anymore, swallows and it's delicious!

That's the best descriptions I can conjure at this moment, I probably could've done underbelly scales better but like I said, at the time I just drew until I thought it looked 'right'

DergenTheDragon

On that note: I have tried doing things other then side views and it did not go well. I have to get back into artist mode that has laid dormant for almost a decade.

DergenTheDragon

Ok so today I managed to get Dergen to hold still for long enough that I could draw him again, still on squared paper with a terrible camera and no colour I'm afraid. But I'd say I've done quite well, I was going for a profile picture type portrait. I'd like to work on getting the 3D affect next.

Attachments

DergenTheDragon

Thanks my guy, I'd say that's come out really well for a first time, just wait until it's coloured!

DergenTheDragon

Yis! I finished lining it and stood back and was like "Wow, that looks so much better" even Dergen liked it and he's quite fussy!

Here's a skill i would recommend to any beginner artist pick up, probably one of the most useful things i learnt and i use it in basically everything i draw & paint.

Though most examples you find for this are all of buildings and architecture i cant express how useful it can be when drawing characters or creatures such as dragons.

DergenTheDragon

Oh yeah! I remember this from art class, I used to be really good at OPP then I had to drop the class and stopped practising. As my academic attention had turned elsewhere and I was moving to a high school that didn't do art (A decision I still regret 7 yrs later)

DergenTheDragon

In a matter of hours I've drawn my first Dragon, (Dergen is flightless), he's not just a head anymore!
I should point out i did attend art school for around 8 years before i had to drop it, I guess this was all just laying dormant in the back of my mind. Woohoo!

Attachments

Last edited:

dahbastard

Thanks for your help, if I was to list 3 things they probably would've been those 3. It's quite difficult for me to convey things in words I do apologise.

As for drawing Dergen, the most recent portrait of him with the mane, basically appeared to me in a dream, and so I kept redoing the sketch until I thought it looked right. I was doing it As a sketch for a friend of mine whom I rp with as Dergen.

The others I had a vague idea of what I wanted (again for rp purposes) I'd watched a couple artists on YouTube doing live draws of dragons and sort of took what they did and recreated it to the best of my ability.

Picture 1: where he's drooling, he's seen a tasty treat and he wants it. And he wants it now.
Picture 2: Friend of mine into vore (like myself), did a vore rp, then the next morning I woke up and drew Dergen after having had his food rolling around on his tongue for awhile, finally can't hold back anymore, swallows and it's delicious!

That's the best descriptions I can conjure at this moment, I probably could've done underbelly scales better but like I said, at the time I just drew until I thought it looked 'right'
Thank you.

I just saw your newest image of Dergen's full body. It came out pretty nicely, so I am glad you are doing that.

One of the things I was going to suggest was draw Dergen's body, so it is good you are doing that. On top of that, see if you can draw his head from as many angles as possible (which, I understand, can be difficult). Still, once you get it down, it will be worth it.

To start off with this, I recommend one of two things:
Draw it from the front, and then use that to figure out what he looks like from the top, or,
draw it from the top, and then use that to figure out what he looks like from the side.

If you draw his head from the top, first, you don't have to worry so much about foreshortening.

On to the critique:

I didn't really explicitly say this, but you are on the right track with his drool. Your shapes are also pretty well defined. And his belly and head scales are well done. I don't recommend worrying too much about them. I also see that you defined his main more as spiky frills. That's good.

I think, at this point, what you need to do is work on your perspective (as someone else indicated). Let's take you second most recent image, for example:
dergen1.jpg

(I have added my own visual aids).

All I did to your drawing was add a center line down Dergen's head, and then estimate what direction the depth direction should point in based off of your drawing. I then added 3 parallel reference lines to indicate that direction.

To be clear, I could have done something more complicated, and estimated a vanishing point (which would mean that the reference lines eventually meet at a point), but that would overcomplicate what I have to say. For now, assuming that depth falls along a certain direction is good enough.

Anyway, you can see that most of Dergen's receding features follow this general depth direction, but, immediately, that his nostrils don't. This creates the impression that his far nostril is not on the opposite side of his snout, but, instead, closer to the front of his snout.

In the next image, I have also estimated what the horizontal contour around Dergen's snout, running through the near nostril, should be:
dergen2.jpg

In theory, this should approximately connect the two nostrils, but it doesn't. Instead, the far nostril falls below it.

So, what to do about this?

I have two recommendations:

The easiest is to draw faint horizontal reference lines connecting where mirrored, or opposite features should be. Then, use that to place the mirrored feature (in this case, the nostril).

The second, though slightly harder, is to draw out faint basic geometric shapes (boxes, triangles, pyramids) indicating the very rough shape of the body.

Like in this webpage but simpler: https://doctorlib.info/anatomy/classic-human-anatomy-motion/10.html

Then, you can use these shapes to flesh your figure out.

Working with basic shapes will give you a much better sense of where things should be.

So, what I recommend is starting off with isometric perspective (where depth always falls along one direction), and master that, first.

This is just the kind of perspective you see in games like Zelda.

I say this, because 1-point perspective adds a further complication of both worrying about vanishing points, and worse, worrying about how foreshortening works. Isometric perspective lets you cheat by creating depth without too much effort.

I will leave it at that. You are doing well, so far. If you can, try figuring out what Dergen looks like, staring from the front. Keep at it!

DergenTheDragon

All of the stuff ya'lls are saying is reawakening stuff from art school that I'd thought I'd forgotten, I remember the isometric drawing as well because I studied architecture and design in college. Still a good 5 or 6 years ago, but I'm amazed I still have that knowledge.

Thanks for your feedback anyhow, Dergen's just finished chowing down on some willing volunteers so expect the next drawing to be something related to that.