• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I need a good name for a made up virus I'm gonna use for an rp

Sappho

Wolftaur taxi service
K9-285 or the human flu.

quoting_mungo

If it’s set in our world, I’d suggest looking at how extant viruses and strains are named. Coronaviruses, for example, is named after the structures on the surface of the virus, which someone related to crowns (based on the appearance of the virus itself). HIV is “Human Immunodeficiency Virus.”

“Canine” is quite likely to show up in the name in some form, provided the full transformation has been observed and connected back to the virus when it’s named. Other aspects may depend on mechanism of transformation (does it alter DNA, or cause rapid growth/death of cells to reshape the body while it’s genetically unaltered?). References to mythology are also not unheard of in the naming of viruses or diseases; “lycanthropy” could plausibly show up in the name if “canine“ doesn’t, given that dogs and wolves are technically the same species.

Faustus

“lycanthropy” could plausibly show up in the name if “canine“ doesn’t, given that dogs and wolves are technically the same species.
Well, technically, lycanthropy is a genuine mental condition wherein a human believes they can turn into a wolf, though they actually cannot. It's from the Greek legend of Lycaon, who was transformed into a wolf by Zeus for trying to trick him into eating human flesh. Zoanthropy is a similar condition that can apply to any animal, not just wolves. But again, it's a real mental condition.

Also, if it's turning DOGS into HUMANS, not the other way around, it would actually be more like anthropocanidy.

Personally I'm thinking Canid-19 won :D

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Honestly, look into word roots and medical terminology.

For your consideration, here are two that come to mind:
-Anthropovirus (human virus)
-Anthroveripathy (literally, 'human change suffering')