• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I need a GPU cooler

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
So here's the issue. My desktop has a Radeon HD 6850 in it, which is driving three monitors and is unable to drive the fourth. I could use the Intel iGPU but it doesn't play nice with hardware acceleration in Adobe Creative Cloud. (Translation: Crashes like a mofo). Since I've added a 2560x1440 monitor, a bigger card is in order anyway. I'm currently aiming for the HD 7950 which is likely to hit some sweet sale prices in the next week or two. My HD 6850 is to be 'demoted' to my HTPC but the fan on the 6850 is sorta not quite right. It makes more noise than it should and that's fine on my desktop workstation, but to put that on my bedroom HTPC? It would drive me nuts.

The HTPC currently runs an AMD Llano A8-3870K, which is great on it's own, but to disable that iGPU and use an HD 6850 would be a boost while using a card that has no other use anyway. It would basically be an Athlon II X4 3.0ghz with an HD 6850... Well, I do Steam gaming on the HTPC too ya know? :p So what I need to do is to replace the entire cooler assembly with something quieter. It doesn't have to be super duper primo passive cooling or anything nuts like that. I just want it to idle quietly.

To be specific, it's this model from PowerColor: http://www.powercolor.com/global/products_features.asp?id=273

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
If you're not going to be working that card particularly hard, you can manually set the fan speed through the AMD Catalyst software.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
If you're not going to be working that card particularly hard, you can manually set the fan speed through the AMD Catalyst software.

The fan is actually annoying even when idle. It's not super loud but it's not as quiet as it should if it were new, I guess it got old. So I'd like it to be replaced and since the fan is part of the cooler assembly, I can just swap the fan out, I need to swap out the entire cooling setup.