• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I need advice

Kit the fox

I am a proud therian! (And a furry) :3
Well...I just found out I'm therian...
Oof. I mean, like I haven't told my family I'm a furry yet and now I have another large burden to hold back! How should I break the news to my family
Their not super strict or religious (we are somewhat religious but not to the point of "IF YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN YOU ARE NOT excepted INTO OUR FAMILY!" Kinda way so thank goodness)

Kit the fox

Well...I just found out I'm therian...
Oof. I mean, like I haven't told my family I'm a furry yet and now I have another large burden to hold back! How should I break the news to my family
Their not super strict or religious (we are somewhat religious but not to the point of "IF YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN YOU ARE NOT excepted INTO OUR FAMILY!" Kinda way so thank goodness)
Also, just wanted to point out that I'm still Christian and therian so ok..

Kit the fox

your wasting your precious time..
go to bed

Luminouscales

Go, Atropos.
Is there ever need to break news? Unless you're planning on completely and publicly embracing your beliefs, you can just keep it to yourself if you feel like sharing it could cause conflict. And if you're going to tell them, don't act like you're "breaking the news", take it casually.

Kit the fox

Is there ever need to break news? Unless you're planning on completely and publicly embracing your beliefs, you can just keep it to yourself if you feel like sharing it could cause conflict. And if you're going to tell them, don't act like you're "breaking the news", take it casually.
Ok, ill try to ty for the advice!
:3

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Well my family are Duri, which is like an Eblaite (Syrian) varient of Judaism so we worship a goat so i guess they weren't surprised but boy did i get in trouble for it.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
I don't think people care that much, like... it's not a big deal to them unless you MAKE it a big deal by flaunting it obnoxiously. I never felt the need to "come out" as anything other than gay and non-binary. You don't need to "come out" as a furry, because it's just a hobby. For example, you don't need to "come out" if you're into woodcraft or video games. It's not a big deal.

Kit the fox

I don't think people care that much, like... it's not a big deal to them unless you MAKE it a big deal by flaunting it obnoxiously. I never felt the need to "come out" as anything other than gay and non-binary. You don't need to "come out" as a furry, because it's just a hobby. For example, you don't need to "come out" if you're into woodcraft or video games. It's not a big deal.
Fair point...
But still, I'm not sure how people will think about their son wanting to be an animal..
And how is it a hobby.. I'm sorta new to the fandom :/
Also, I'm not sure they will think first it's are 'normal' (I used to think they were creepy until I learned about quadsuits)

that_darn_furry

all that is gold does not glitter
I will say being a furry vs. therian are not the same, especially if you talk to actual therians. Furries don't (as far as I'm aware) physically feel extra limbs, extended features (tongues, muzzles, tails), or feel like they are in the wrong body, or feel they've been reincarnated from a previous animal form that they still feel connected too and feel the residual energies from, like therians do. I've spoken with therians, so this is where I'm sourcing my information, if it varies for others, then so be it, but this is my knowledge.
However, I am a furry, and furries use their sona's and ocs as a representation of themselves in a furry community, and as a hobby, to collect art and just have fun, meet new people and enjoy the art and fantasy-side of it all.

Coming out as furry vs a therian can be very different, but if you feel comfortable and want to tell your family/friends, you should! They may give you weird looks though, because that's atypical to society if they're not accepting. Good luck when you do though!