• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I need an average medieval furry last name.

Texywolf

Neighborhood Hugglewoof
For a fantasy novel I'm brainstorming. The name's not going to stick for a long time, probably just in the first part of the first book. It's the name for an orphan who hasn't discovered his heritage yet. As I said, I need an average last name that retains to something furry. He's an arctic wolf, but his families a group of poverty stricken timber wolves.

Tolgron

I guess it depends what convention you're using. Scandenavian (and Russian too, methinks, although the wording changes) last names tend to be the name of the child's father with the suffix -sen/son or -dottir depending on the gender. For example:

Erik -> Leif Eriksson/Helga Eriskdottir

Of course, that literally means Leif, son of Erik, and Helga, daughter of Erik.

Elsewhere, it would have been a lot more straight forward. Something as simple as a profession, description or place of origin will do. Remember that last names were not inherited during the Middle Ages, they were simply used to differentiate one Bob from a load of other Bobs in the county. Examples would include:

Bob the Fletcher
Bob Bushtail
Bob of York

If the character had a nobleman for a father, he may also have a coat of arms and some land, maybe even a castle of some kind. Although if he was raised by another family, it strikes me that he would have been a bastard and would thus have to prove he was his father's son, and earn his place within the father's household.

Last edited:

gigglingHyena

Generic Aberration +2
Ulric.
Ulricsson.
-sson something.
Stonehill.
Silverlake.
Smith.
Blacksmith.
Smithy.
Smithsson.
Smithster.
Stonehedge.
Edgeworth.
von Baron.
Bartleby.
Brimble.

And so forth. If those don't work for you, find a generic last name generator or something. q:

Asswings

Banned
Banned
This is fun to start with for ideas, if you want a custom name (Instead of one attributed to one culture. If you're making up your own world that comes in useful.)
Fantasy Name Generator

It takes quite a bit of tweaking for it to come up with something actually useful, though.

foozzzball

Lazy and Fuzzy
The early medieval era is interesting because it's part of the time period in which most people did not have surnames unless they were very high aristocracy.

Patronyms are the only likely scenario. (<Father'sname>son)

K

Kaamos

Sinclair
Montoya
Morgan
Garnier
Montferrat
Ridefort
Tremelay
Blanchefort
Amand
Champagne
Delorme

Texywolf

Neighborhood Hugglewoof
Okies, I has my new name =3 His real name is Ezra Whitepaw, but his adopted name is Ezra Greymoon. The series' actual name is "The Whitepaw Saga."

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
MacFaolan: Son of the Little Wolf