• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I need doggy advice Please

RoscoTL

Well, I got a black lab puppy and he's becoming a real pain, I mean seriously... craps in his cage barks all the time and makes my home smell, He's a good dog but, I'm not sure if I can handle it I have another dog already, so it really cuts in on my time. Now I do take him out often, and feed him right but He's 4 months and it's not how I though it would be. Should I find him a better home or will he eventually grow out of it,? I'm stressed enough as it is and I really can't handle it much longer. I feel it would be better for him to find another home cause *I'll kill him* not really, but he pisses me off sometimes, and I just don't feel I would be the best fit. He's still a great dog knows lots of tricks and everything, well potty trained outside his cage...

What do you think...?

JUST AN UPDATE -U know, I made this point before, this is a recent occurence, he *was* a perfectly normal energetic puppy that I could handle, he was well socialized, played with other dogs including mine meets a lot of people, potty train (actually never pooped in the house since I got him, peed sometimes but not a lot) . But he decided to go into hell mode which is something that I'm not prepared for. I'd admit it wasn't a smart decision and I'll take scrutiny for it, but I just wanted advice cause now it's too much especially with other things goin on in my life..

I thought that getting him would be a good idea at first though.
It's not as bad as it may be pictured out to be, but it's bad enough to where something needs to be done

Last edited:

Toaster

Well, I got a black lab puppy and he's becoming a real pain, I mean seriously... craps in his cage barks all the time and makes my home smell, He's a good dog but, I'm not sure if I can handle it I have another dog already, so it really cuts in on my time. Now I do take him out often, and feed him right but He's 4 months and it's not how I though it would be. Should I find him a better home or will he eventually grow out of it,? I'm stressed enough as it is and I really can't handle it much longer. I feel it would be better for him to find another home cause *I'll kill him* not really, but he pisses me off sometimes, and I just don't feel I would be the best fit. He's still a great dog knows lots of tricks and everything, well potty trained outside his cage...

What do you think...?

This type of dog at this age needs alot of attention, also are you paper training him? Get a book on labs.

Gavrill

ladies~
Labs are very energetic and need lots of exercise. They also need a regular feeding schedule so they have regular (read: predictable) bowel movements.

Rozgarden

First you need to take him to puppy training class. This will help tremendously on his behaviour as well as bonding with him. Be patient. If you show your boss and expect a certain behavior and reward him when he is good then he will become the lovable lab you want. I know Petsmart has classes for puppies.

RoscoTL

First you need to take him to puppy training class. This will help tremendously on his behaviour as well as bonding with him. Be patient. If you show your boss and expect a certain behavior and reward him when he is good then he will become the lovable lab you want. I know Petsmart has classes for puppies.

Heres the thing he's been fine until like this past couple of weeks, He'd go to the door if needed to go, he's learn tricks instantly, and he wasn't a big headache.

Then I gave a little freedom, I let him sleep outside of his cage one day and bam!! the nightmare stage came, He's being rebeleous now, barks extra loud flips his kennel to piss on the carpet (not joking) and craps on the floor while he's in his cage (I don't how, but he does) it's just been a not stop thing for the last 2 weeks

RoscoTL

Ok and what are you doing about it when he does that stuff.. how do you react?

First I pinch ear and show him what he did, take him out and clean the messes, and put him right back in 4 punishment.

Cotoncandie

First I pinch ear and show him what he did, take him out and clean the messes, and put him right back in 4 punishment.

You obviously do not understand animal behavior. Read a book, get a trainer, it's in both of your best interests.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
Putting him back in his cage won't help at all. In fact, I've never thought of caging/crating a dog as a good idea. You have to assert your dominance as the pack alpha, and doing so by making him submit while saying "No" will enforce the negative aspect of what he's done. You also have to encourage the positive though - when he does defecate outside, you should reward him, rub him under his snout and lift his head high to show him that it's positive, confident behaviour to do outside.

Puppies can be troublesome - in fact, I find dogs can be a little nutty for the first couple years of their lives. You just have to be able to stay on him as the alpha. If there is a dog park or you have neighbours with dogs as well, they may be able to help better socialize him too - instil a stronger pack mentality.

Rozgarden

Putting him back in his cage won't help at all. In fact, I've never thought of caging/crating a dog as a good idea. You have to assert your dominance as the pack alpha, and doing so by making him submit while saying "No" will enforce the negative aspect of what he's done. You also have to encourage the positive though - when he does defecate outside, you should reward him, rub him under his snout and lift his head high to show him that it's positive, confident behaviour to do outside.

Puppies can be troublesome - in fact, I find dogs can be a little nutty for the first couple years of their lives. You just have to be able to stay on him as the alpha. If there is a dog park or you have neighbours with dogs as well, they may be able to help better socialize him too - instil a stronger pack mentality.

Agreed

PriestRevan

Banned
Banned

Ouch. You can't be that angry at the little thing... he's only 4 months.

You should give him a lot of attention, and do some reading on labs. Me and my roommate are planning on getting a dog and there are several sites that tell you exactly what not to do.

RoscoTL

Ouch. You can't be that angry at the little thing... he's only 4 months.

You should give him a lot of attention, and do some reading on labs. Me and my roommate are planning on getting a dog and there are several sites that tell you exactly what not to do.

I do have a book for labs I knew that they would be trouble at a certain stage, I'm doing basically what most of u advise, but it's really too much stress. and one of my main concerns is that it will get worse especially when I start working when i be out for 8-12 hours a day, my other dog can handle it no problem it's just a tough situatiion I'm in.

RoscoTL

Words that were ignored

U know, I made this point before, this is a recent occurence, he *was* a perfectly normal energetic puppy that I could handle, he was well socialized, played with other dogs including mine meets a lot of people, potty train (actually never pooped in the house since I got him, peed sometimes but not a lot) . But he decided to go into hell mode which is something that I'm not prepared for. I'd admit it wasn't a smart decision and I'll take scrutiny for it, but I just wanted advice cause now it's too much especially with other things goin on in my life..

I thought that getting him would be a good idea at first though.
It's not as bad as it may be pictured out to be, but it's bad enough to where something needs to be done.

Sunny_Otter

Whatsa Motter?
For goodness' sake, the dog is 16 weeks old -- he's a BABY. His bladder and bowels haven't fully developed, he needs to go outside once an HOUR while you're awake for proper house training, and he's not doing it on purpose -- he's not old enough to hold it yet! Think babies in diapers. They're not in them because they want to poop all the time, but because they can't hold it. The best they (and a puppy) can do is let you know when they're about to go.

Of course he's energetic, he's a puppy, their job in life is to play, sleep and eat.

While you're home take him out once an hour (because he'll be drinking at any given time) and praise him like crazy when he goes to the bathroom outside. After eating you have about 30 minutes before he's going to need to poop. Don't leave food in with him overnight.

Dogs don't fully housetrain to the point where they can hold it in until you get around to letting them outside for at least several more months, sometimes longer.

His crate may be too big if he's pooping in it, too -- it should be just big enough for him to turn around and lay down in to make it a proper "Den" and reinforce the crate training, and you HAVE to take him out of the crate and outside IMMEDIATELY if he's letting you know he has to go! Otherwise there's no point to crating him, if he can poop on one side and sleep on the other.

There's no point to punishing him if he goes inside the house, he doesn't understand that it's wrong. Pinching his ears just hurts him, he won't understand why, dogs can't make that connection even if you show him what happened, he'll only start to be afraid of you.

He's barking all the time when he's in the crate, right? He wants to be with you, playing with you, doing things with you -- that's what having a puppy is about, there's no "alone time" as far as a puppy is concerned, this is when he spends all his time developing socially. If you absolutely can't have him out and be paying attention to him, the crate needs to be somewhere he can't see you ignoring him and he needs stuff to DO in there.

Beastcub

in addition to the above punishment for pooping/peeing in the house only works if you catch them in the act, take a stern tone (or better yet growl) stomp over, grab by the muzzle make eyecontact and say no then imediatly take outside even if he dribbles the whole way out the door just do it (or atleast do it if you have hard floors and can clean it up easily enough).
eventually he will get the hint "oh i pee and i get yelled at" doing any kind of punishment even 3 minutes after it happens is too late for him to get the connection (rubbing a dogs nose in it does not work, you have to catch the dog in the act)

but in comparision when he goes outside make a huge fuss and praise like crazy.

also it is good to start teaching him to go on command, just saying "go potty" when it looks like his sniffing around to go and while he goes will work wonders in the future when he learns what that means and will do it when you ask (which is great for car rides or staying in a hotel or at some one elses house).

also at this age he is like a kid going through their terrible twos. i have found that before a puppy hits the half year mark is when they chew the most and misbehave the most ....and also fart the most >_<
he will mellow out after about 6 months of age.

an be glad he is not doing submissive peeing, oy i have no idea how to fix that with a dog. our pom does that and it DRIVES US INSANE she cannot even be in the house because if you do anything to even make her think you are mad at her she will piss herself, such as if she is on the couch you have to lure her off with a treat because if you pick her up she will pee on it!!! she is a paranoid little dipshit and always has been.

Last edited:

RoscoTL

For goodness' sake, the dog is 16 weeks old -- he's a BABY. His bladder and bowels haven't fully developed, he needs to go outside once an HOUR while you're awake for proper house training, and he's not doing it on purpose -- he's not old enough to hold it yet! Think babies in diapers. They're not in them because they want to poop all the time, but because they can't hold it. The best they (and a puppy) can do is let you know when they're about to go.

Of course he's energetic, he's a puppy, their job in life is to play, sleep and eat.

While you're home take him out once an hour (because he'll be drinking at any given time) and praise him like crazy when he goes to the bathroom outside. After eating you have about 30 minutes before he's going to need to poop. Don't leave food in with him overnight.

Dogs don't fully housetrain to the point where they can hold it in until you get around to letting them outside for at least several more months, sometimes longer.

His crate may be too big if he's pooping in it, too -- it should be just big enough for him to turn around and lay down in to make it a proper "Den" and reinforce the crate training, and you HAVE to take him out of the crate and outside IMMEDIATELY if he's letting you know he has to go! Otherwise there's no point to crating him, if he can poop on one side and sleep on the other.

There's no point to punishing him if he goes inside the house, he doesn't understand that it's wrong. Pinching his ears just hurts him, he won't understand why, dogs can't make that connection even if you show him what happened, he'll only start to be afraid of you.

He's barking all the time when he's in the crate, right? He wants to be with you, playing with you, doing things with you -- that's what having a puppy is about, there's no "alone time" as far as a puppy is concerned, this is when he spends all his time developing socially. If you absolutely can't have him out and be paying attention to him, the crate needs to be somewhere he can't see you ignoring him and he needs stuff to DO in there.

Read my first post it'll tell u more

Okay, I see the problem here, and it isn't the dog. I think you need to read up on crate-training and housebreaking.

The purpose of crate-training is to give the dog a happy place that's all his own away from everyone else. It should always be associated with positive things. It's your dog's house and home. It should have something to do (such as a toy or something) if your dog likes, and should be associated with treats etc:
http://www.hssv.org/docs/behavior/dog_crate_training.pdf
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/o...m/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html

Never, ever should it be seen as punishment--throwing him in there after punishing only reinforces to have fear of the crate. This is probably why he is acting out--he's confused. The pinching him etc confused him and he's now stressed.

If you have a crate for his adult-size you need to find a way to wall off part of it so that he can't pee in the back and get away from it. Make sure to take him out every hour, and soon he'll get it.

You should NEVER rub a dogs nose in his mess, it confuses him. At best, they think that rubbing their face in their own shit is normal. At worst, it can make him fear going to the bathroom itself. Housetraining is acheived through consistent positive-reinforcement. A dog is not a child--he doesn't understand actions that are past.