• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I need Help with filters and textures!

TheCoyoteQueen

DarkBlood
Hello fellow Artists! I am trying to learn how to use filters and add textures to my artwork. I use PaintTool Sai and Photoshop Elements 6. I need basic to expert instructions. I am a fast learner I just want to take this next step in improving my art style!

-Coyote

FuzzleTheMintyDog

Peppermint
Well, for filters I mainly stick with things that don't do too much of the work, like adding noise, changing hue, brightness, saturation, distorting things. For textures, a lot of this comes down to your brush and the way you use it. Like fur texture, for me, I just use a smooth watercolor brush and paint in thousands of small strokes in a certain direction of light and dark until it starts to take on the look I want. I think of it as sculpting, you'll get it wrong at first, but when you keep manipulating it, it leads towards the general direction of the texture you want. Its hard to tell you how to create a texture, but consider the nature of each texture you're trying to recreate and think what kind of brush or setting would help me give the impression of this texture. If its a rough surface like a road, you might want to use an airbrush that spatters thousands of little dots and then try to mix different values in. Then perhaps part of that road has a puddle or it extends off into the distance so now its more reflective and the texture has softened into a smoother appearance. Fabrics, try a brush that has a bunch of lines and then paint in the direction of the fabric, if its too strong, try lowering the opacity of that layer so it blends in more. It's all about blending and blending and adding and subtracting till it takes on its form. You're in general trying to guide it, I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time, I just mess with it until I get something and think, Okay, this can work. Oh and work at a resolution of 300dpi or more, this will help in being able to convey small textures.
This probably isn't very helpful but its a very broad thing thats not easily conveyed verbally.

TheCoyoteQueen

DarkBlood
No, no you are actually very helpful! I am trying to figure out how to apply noise to sai. Maybe I can't but I can on photoshop. I have a TON of brushes I have made up I just can't seem to get the right look but like you said I will get it wrong at first. I guess I just need more practice! I want to take my art to the next level and I think this is it. My images seems flat and just need that extra something!
300 dpi? So I have to pick that canvas if I want to work with more detail? I guess I've been doing that wrong I have been changing the resolution instead. Whoops.
You were very helpful, thank you for taking the time to comment!

FuzzleTheMintyDog

Peppermint
No, no you are actually very helpful! I am trying to figure out how to apply noise to sai. Maybe I can't but I can on photoshop. I have a TON of brushes I have made up I just can't seem to get the right look but like you said I will get it wrong at first. I guess I just need more practice! I want to take my art to the next level and I think this is it. My images seems flat and just need that extra something!
300 dpi? So I have to pick that canvas if I want to work with more detail? I guess I've been doing that wrong I have been changing the resolution instead. Whoops.
You were very helpful, thank you for taking the time to comment!

Right, so there is the size of the canvas and then the resolution of the canvas. If your images are appearing a little flat, think about the dimension that values and color give to it. If you are putting white in shade, instead of picking a darker shade of that same hue of white, try shading it with a slightly purplish color. If the sun is shining on white fur, maybe give that white an slightly orange or yellowish tint. Often the reason a picture looks flat is due to the lack of color variance in the light, base and dark values.

TheCoyoteQueen

DarkBlood
As in flat I am talking about my flat color sketches. I want to add something like a filter to jazz it up.

FuzzleTheMintyDog

Peppermint
As in flat I am talking about my flat color sketches. I want to add something like a filter to jazz it up.

Ah, so you want to paint in a flat style, but you want a little texture too it? I think the best way to go about that is to find a brush that has a texture built in. Are you thinking perhaps something like a canvas texture? Theres also a little flair you can do called chromatic aberration which gives it a photographic quality. You can find a tutorial for that on youtube for photoshop, I only know how to do it in Clip Studio Paint.

TheCoyoteQueen

DarkBlood
Canvas textures. I also am having a hard time describing the other filter I've seen and would like to learn how to use. I want to be able to use noise effectively.

MissNook

I use several ways to achieve that.

First one: I use the "Paint effect" tool as shown bellow. You can choose the texture to apply to either your layer or your group of layer, its scale and its strength (that's the cursor at the right, at 20 in the example bellow)
dcx26xn-c3bf4f24-f979-4064-9a24-0df5e9116dd9.png
Second one is to use a textured brush on a layer above all the others or clipped to the layer I wish to update (it's often when I do an ambiance layer to harmonise the colors, I can textured it as well with the choice of brush). To have a textured brush, you should change what I framed in the image bellow so the texture and/or the brush shape:
dcx27f4-202e264b-f4b0-4491-a492-d3d5547050dc.png
Last but not least, I sometimes use free textures I found on the net. I put them in a layer above the rest then change its hue/saturation and its opacity to match what I want.

Hope that helps!

TheCoyoteQueen

DarkBlood
I will try this out on my next flat color piece! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!