• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I Need Some Advice About Fursuiting...

Kishi

The one, the only…
I've been wondering about fursuiting. I like the concept yet a few things stick in my head...
First off... Is it worth it? It looks interesting but with the heat and such is it realy worth the time and money?
secondly How much is a decent fursuit? What can get me the most for the money I have? Commision? Make it myself? Get a used one?
Also if I do make a suit of my fursona, I would need a way to make my body have a feminine shape (I'm male and my fursona is not) I know a corset or padding could work but are there any other ways?
Also, are there even that many cons in Georgia (state)?
i like the idea if fursuiting... Bit before I try... I need more info

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
Dude, it's been four hours. :T

I really think the vast majority of FAFers have no suit experience. Be patient and stuff.

Dokid

I've been wondering about fursuiting. I like the concept yet a few things stick in my head...
First off... Is it worth it? It looks interesting but with the heat and such is it realy worth the time and money?
secondly How much is a decent fursuit? What can get me the most for the money I have? Commision? Make it myself? Get a used one?
Also if I do make a suit of my fursona, I would need a way to make my body have a feminine shape (I'm male and my fursona is not) I know a corset or padding could work but are there any other ways?
i like the idea if fursuiting... Bit before I try... I need more info

Okay I'll answer them.

1. Depends on the person. For me suiting is very rewarding because I love to make people happy and laugh. I just feel so happy when I suit. It's a luxury item. You can say the same thing about people who drive expensive cars, collectors, etc.

2. I generally say that any head (not premade but custom) under 300 is meh quality at best. A good partial will run you at least 800 if you commission. Check furbuy for deals on things if you want a used one or pre made.

3. Um..I mean yeah you can. But you don't have to. For the sake of suiting you can just have the face feminine and such. It really depends on your reason for suiting though.

4. I don't really have any clue about this.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
Fursuiting is totally worth it- I can't wait to get my fursuit head because each time I put it on, I can become a different person, capable of doing things that the human me could never accomplish (enjoying the Philly sound, for instance).

As for conventions in Georgia, I would recommend Furry Weekend Atlanta, followed by Anime Weekend Atlanta, and DragonCon. There are also conventions throughout the Deep South in Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama as well.

TheDarkCynder

I think it's fun. It really depends on you if you think you'd think it would be worth it or not.

The cheapest decent fursuits would probably be on FurBuy.

Chest and hip padding is about the only ways I know to get a feminine shape.

You mean besides FWA, the fourth largest furcon in the world? :L

Kishi

The one, the only…
I think it's fun. It really depends on you if you think you'd think it would be worth it or not.

The cheapest decent fursuits would probably be on FurBuy.

Chest and hip padding is about the only ways I know to get a feminine shape.

You mean besides FWA, the fourth largest furcon in the world? :L
wait a giant fur con? In Georgia?

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I cosplay and cosplaying's pretty fun especially if you're in a group of people. Or if you go on outings around town and entertain people. I've never actually suited though.
As for heat. Most people put a fan or some form of ventilation in the head for cooling. Underarmour's another way to keep cool.

But it's totally worth it if you like making people happy and/or entertaining people.

Depends a lot on where you get your materials from if you make it yourself. Who you commission if you get one made. And what condition the used suit is in.
If you try to cut corners and not spend as much as possible on a suit, it's probably going to end up looking like crud as opposed to if you buy materials from good, reputable sellers.

But typically if you commission one they tend to go for around $1200 for a full suit.

I can't really answer this

Furry Weekend Atlanta and Megaplex in Florida if you're up for driving.

Sparklepaws

The Wooflewaffle
Fursuiting is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done, and I highly recommend it.

If I had to choose one high point, it would be the people. You get hugs, stares of amazement and awe as people young and old somehow find their inner child and let it free. It's something more than I can put my finger on, almost like a key to some unknown lock.

The kids are hilarious, even if you're like me and don't really like tiny children. They're so dumbstruck at how a 6 foot animal could be walking around! They'll give you so much love and make you feel like you're the best person in the world. It is rather sad when that one kid comes along that you scare, though (they make you feel like you've just murdered a puppy).

Personally I also enjoy the theatrical value. It teaches you how to emote, expressing yourself through outgoing body movements. It raises your confidence too, since you need to interact with people and socialize without ever using your voice (unless you want to of course). You get to become a character and act him/her out, it's tons of fun!

The heat issue can also be fixed easily by adding ventilation and fans to the head. It's not difficult and it makes your entire noggin feel like a portable air conditioner. There are solutions for the body too, such as anti-sweat nylon shirts that actually turn your sweat into a cold, refreshing wave of icy goodness.

Personally, I made my own fursuit. It took me about 3 months (because I was picky) and 150 USD (probably would have cost 250 if I made the bodysuit). It's sturdy, looks great, and I now have the knowledge to make more. Buying suits is fine, but if you're on a budget just spend some time looking through Matrices.

Georgia has Dragon Con, and a couple of others that I can't look up right now (I think). :D

tl;dr - Fursuiting can be as inexpensive as you want, given you have the time. It's worth it for the reactions, and beyond that it's a fun acting experience. No reason not to do it.

Kishi, go to YouTube and type in 'furry outing' or 'fursuit outing'. You can spend a few days watching vids. Don't just watch the fursuiters or kids. Watch the body language and reactions from the public. Total magic!