• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I tried something different

JMAA

Banned
Banned
Sketchbook [NSFW]

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5838309/
I directly painted it and shaded it before outlining. I did this sort of before with Chell from Portal for something else.
Please, tell me what you think.

Last edited:

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
It looks the same as everything else you have done so far. What exactly about it do you want us to comment on?

Radiohead

Apply directly to forehead.
That face is so creepy. ;;

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Well, I can be brutally honest here if you'd like. Otherwise, I'll sit back if you don't want a "break you down, build you back up" critique.

I'm not seeing what is especially "new" compared to the rest of your gallery though. I will say that.

JMAA

Banned
Banned
Um... what then?

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
I don't think it makes any difference then your other stuff. Did you want us to critique the picture and the technique, or just tell you if we think this is a better method then the previous one?

Xenke

Honestly, like everyone else said, it looks the same as your other work...

Except for the fact that the lines are sloppier.

JMAA

Banned
Banned
I don't get it. Is there a reason why it's still the same? I'm even using a Wacom here.

Xenke

I don't get it. Is there a reason why it's still the same? I'm even using a Wacom here.

Because you're making the same mistakes? Doing things the same way?

Having a new tool will not drastically change your art.

Your art will only improve if you improve, not if you buy new things.

I'm even using a Wacom here.

Yeah, and? I used a Pensketch for a few years, before I finally had to replace it because the company went under and you can't get the nibs for it any more. Wacom really only matters if you're doing higher detailed stuff. What you're doing, basic cell shading with sketchy lines, could be done with a mouse.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART

You know what, this has been going on for two whole years. If it was less time, I would be entirely convinced that you were just trolling us hard, but jeez. I just don't know, man.

Do you have any goals as an artist? Any inspirations? From where do you derive your artistic drive and direction? These are not hypothetical questions, I am actually curious.

Forget tools and processes, I want to get to the bottom of this.

JMAA

Banned
Banned
I want to become a game artist someday, also finish my own comic however it comes out and some other things. I think it's about getting used to it when doing it so fast I think.
Meanwhile, you're right. That art class at Syntesis was too few for these things. And I need to really get in depth into the concepts.
Plus, not trolling, but I did believe it was something different before. In fact, it isn't. Bad pulse lines, bad shading...

Last edited:

Ilayas

Because people who rave so much about Wacom tablets improving their work and making things easier have artistic ability but some technical aspect of digital art is holding them back. It's like the difference between a $10 pain brush and thous free ones you get with a cheep set of water colors. If you are a shitty painter the $10 brush isn't going to do jack. Your work is very consistent both in subject matter and quality and I don't really see much improvement. While I'm not entirely sure I think you are trying to take short cuts to become a better artist. What you really need to be doing is just drawing things from life and or from photographs (life is better). You don't need a art class to do that, just set up some stuff on a table and draw it. Go to the park and try drawing people, trees, playground equipment, whatever.

You don't seem to really grasp the basics of art and while composition and color theory make for much better pictures at this point I think you should just focus on being better at making 3d things look good on 2d paper.

Fay V

Lost to this world
The only way a wacom helps is if you were using a mouse before, not only that but you have to train your brain how to use it. It isn't natural for people to be exact while they are looking at a screen, but drawing on someone that's on a desk. So quality actually goes down when you first get a tablet.
Besides all that, your best friend is paper and pencil. Just sketching anything and everything helps.

Right now your figures look awkward, the faces look starved the way you draw the skull outline is the way people look when they have been starved so much they barely have muscle left. Then it's attached to a fairly muscular body, which just looks downright creepy. You really ought to focus on basics, anatomy especially, but I think it would make a world of difference to practice faces. Faces are something your brain is trained to recognize, and faces are what can really make a picture good. Unfortunately people are really sensetive, so if it looks like the person was starved they will be creeped out.

mapdark

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet

And again you fail to grasp the problem.

Sometimes I wonder if you're not a troll.

I want to become a game artist someday, also finish my own comic however it comes out and some other things. I think it's about getting used to it when doing it so fast I think.
Meanwhile, you're right. That art class at Syntesis was too few for these things. And I need to really get in depth into the concepts.
Plus, not trolling, but I did believe it was something different before. In fact, it isn't. Bad pulse lines, bad shading...

You keep on ignoring the BASICS.

People tell you again and again and again what exactly IS wrong with your stuff and it's like you ignore what we say.

The fact that you changed your medium is irrelevant and the fact that you changed your "inking" or "colouring" is irrelevant as well.

Let me say it clearly :

YOUR ANATOMY FUCKING SUCKS!

YOU RUSH YOUR DRAWINGS!

YOU DRAW THE SAME STUFF OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

Get that in your brain dude and work on THIS!

Not frivolous things like colouring and inking! You're not at that level yet.

Faces do NOT look like that. Skin doesn't stick to your bone structure (that do not look like that btw) unless you're severely malnourished.

Work on this PLEASE!

and don't post again until you've assimilated these VERY simple things. geez!

EDIT : By the way people , I know this is very harsh , but I think at this point after SEVERAL interventions by several people without results (feels like he doesn't care) , he deserves it.

Last edited:

mapdark

And before you say you want to keep the cheekbones and it's hard to draw them without making it creepy :

There. Cheekbones.

Radiohead

^ He's so handsome!

Radiohead

I think it's a Siamese but I'm not sure. I really love that correct cheekbone...age.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Actually mapdark I don't think those cheekbones look creepy. He doesn't look fluffy fuzzikins, but he doesn't look messed up. I think that's the difference really. When a character is meant to look sort of rough that strong jaw and cheek bones looks fine. The skull face on the other hand looks wrong with the muscle body.

mapdark

Actually mapdark I don't think those cheekbones look creepy. He doesn't look fluffy fuzzikins, but he doesn't look messed up. I think that's the difference really. When a character is meant to look sort of rough that strong jaw and cheek bones looks fine. The skull face on the other hand looks wrong with the muscle body.

We'll agree to disagree on this . :p

I dunno , To me it's like the poor thing has terminal AIDS. It's just my opinion though.

JMAA

Banned
Banned
Well... judgement day. I was practicing with some concepts you mentioned. I started with faces, so I tried to draw Cave Johnson to get the idea of facial proportions.
The base:

I've made like, 4 tries to it. Here they are:

And then to apply the same concepts I tried on the Jack and Ainhander faces.

Is this better? It's not perfect, I know.
And please, be easy on me. I know this is pretty stupid and I've being doing this repeatedly, but I'm at least trying.

Last edited: