• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I vote NO religious debates

coffinberry

wolfbone if you hate it here so much yet want to kill time, why don't you find new forums? why do you continue to get yourself all worked up over the people who frequent this one?

Nargle

HOOT
Weddings are religious, marriage licenses are a State legal matter. As I said, find a church that will MARRY gays, then use your power to vote to get the LEGAL LICENSE issue passed. You're dealing with two entities here, when it comes to gay marriage/license rights. Two entirely different issues, as well. However, the Church does have a right to protest to the State, just as the State has the power to say NO to the Church. I keep hearing gay couples complaining about the marriage angle and the legal angle, as if they were the same issue. Problem is, majority rules in a republic, and the majority doesn't want gay marriage/licensing/whatever. Keep up the fight, that's all I can say....

**Coughsputter** Kay, what now? You don't know what you're talking about. Gay people want the legal marriage. Christian weddings don't matter. It's not just the wedding that's illegal, but the marriage itself. You can go find yourself an atheist lawyer and have a gay wedding in a park, nothing religious at all, and it's still illegal.

Theres no such thing as freedom, every right given to someone is only another right taken away from someone else. Your right to crisise religion is taking away my right to believe what I want unaffected from people showing disrespect towards it.

You gots it all wrong. I can go criticize religion 'till I'm blue in the face, and it will affect you absolutely none. You've got the right to walk away and not listen. I'm an in no way impeding on your life by expressing myself.

But there is DEFINITELY something wrong with taking away right to voice my opinion.

FrisbeeRolf

Waiting to get thin again
I agree. As a christian myself, I can safely say religious debates are pointless, simply because there are people who believe in more than the physical world, and those who don't. There is no way to make someone who doesn't believe in the human spirit believe.

And quite frankly, I don't want to convert anyone who wants to flame me. They can go to hell for all I care.

Silibus

Oh Boy!
I dont believe in religions myself, as I said before. But some people benefit from it, and it can be a good thing. It is the corruption of religion that sickens me.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
**Coughsputter** Kay, what now? You don't know what you're talking about. Gay people want the legal marriage. Christian weddings don't matter. It's not just the wedding that's illegal, but the marriage itself. You can go find yourself an atheist lawyer and have a gay wedding in a park, nothing religious at all, and it's still illegal.

As I said, keep up the fight....

You gots it all wrong. I can go criticize religion 'till I'm blue in the face, and it will affect you absolutely none. You've got the right to walk away and not listen. I'm an in no way impeding on your life by expressing myself.

But there is DEFINITELY something wrong with taking away right to voice my opinion.

True, but some people are easily annoyed....

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
wolfbone if you hate it here so much yet want to kill time, why don't you find new forums? why do you continue to get yourself all worked up over the people who frequent this one?

You use the word hate way too liberally. This forum is unique in that the people here I actually find worth my time have provided me with some of the best discussions online I've had since the days of the oldschool therian communities but also has the added benefit of having all these people wanting to use me as their emotional punching bag - the benefit of that being I'm consistently reminded that someone out there has it worse than I do.

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
I want to make a religion where gay marriage is legal. Then they should have to recognize it or STOP OPPRESSING MAH RELIGION>!!

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
So are you saying that you agree with gay marriage?

No, but, if you want gay marriage, fight for it, don't whine. America became a free nation by fighting for that freedom... gays have to do the same, and accept the consequences of that fight, good or bad. Win... or loose.

Nargle

HOOT
No, but, if you want gay marriage, fight for it, don't whine. America became a free nation by fighting for that freedom... gays have to do the same, and accept the consequences of that fight, good or bad. Win... or loose.

What do you want people to do? There aren't any presidential candidates that are pro-gay marriage. There are already marches and protests and shtuff. Are you suggesting violence/revolution?

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
What do you want people to do? There aren't any presidential candidates that are pro-gay marriage. There are already marches and protests and shtuff. Are you suggesting violence/revolution?

No, just that you shouldn't expect miracles overnight... and, like I said (using different words), be good sports when you loose, cause next time, your good sportsmanship might give you a win.

MattDragon

As for religion, it is used to have a better understanding of God, at its most basic form. There are different interpretations and relations but at its base that is what it is and supposed to be. And about science, it (for me atleast) only proves that there is a higher power. How could atoms, their size so small its rediculous create objects, like the computer your using to see this. Its fascinating. You see, its all in moderation and frankly, people need to learn that instead of flying into battle with banners flying high, think some people just want to think that there is nothing there, and no matter how hard you try, they are not going to change. And honestly, if I may put in my personal opinion: thinks it's sad that people think this is it, there is nothing after life. Well, we all are gonna find out when we die right?

Adrimor

Banned
Banned
Quite frankly. The church can keep the term 'marriage'. Legally, it does belong to them. But they've no right to deny homosexuals the power to join in civil union or defacto partnership. Or maybe they do because they don't want to talk about it.

They're too righteous to talk about it.
Marriage is an abomination. Gays need to stop buying into the hetero bullshit, and society needs to butt out of people's sex lives.

Gaytheism =3
Where might I sign up?
And is killing stupid people with cheese graters allowed under this religion?

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
As for religion, it is used to have a better understanding of God, at its most basic form. There are different interpretations and relations but at its base that is what it is and supposed to be. And about science, it (for me atleast) only proves that there is a higher power. How could atoms, their size so small its rediculous create objects, like the computer your using to see this. Its fascinating. You see, its all in moderation and frankly, people need to learn that instead of flying into battle with banners flying high, think some people just want to think that there is nothing there, and no matter how hard you try, they are not going to change. And honestly, if I may put in my personal opinion: thinks it's sad that people think this is it, there is nothing after life. Well, we all are gonna find out when we die right?

I'm going to disregard that first statement which is a matter of opinion. In reality science points towards there not needing to be a creator for life, because life can just as easily self-organize, just like matter can. It moves from simple to complex. Simple spawns complex.

That said, I find it sad to see people who spend all their time living for what they imagine will happen after death. That is just me though. I only know one thing for certain, and that I have this life, right now, to live. I"m not going to live it preparing for some so called afterlife. To me, that is a sad way to live. It negates the point of living.

At the same time I am not going to be so pretentious as to pretend that I know what happens after death. I don't understand all these groups that have all these really detailed explanations of what happens after you die. It's like, how do you know? Of course that is just a matter of opinion.

This is one of the things that baffles me about religion, most religions that is. They teach you to prepare for death. Egyptians did it with their religion, as does Christianity, Zarathustra, Islam, Judaism, and so forth.

If there really was some sort of an afterlife you won't know until you die....no one will know until they die. So there is no reason to side with one of over a thousand stories, because in reality they don't know anything because they were written by people who are still alive.

Adrimor

Banned
Banned
If there really was some sort of an afterlife you won't know until you die....no one will know until they die. So there is no reason to side with one of over a thousand stories, because in reality they don't know anything because they were written by people who are still alive.

Pure logical victory.
Trpdwarf, you have just killed a god.
What are you going to do now?

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
Pure logical victory.
Trpdwarf, you have just killed a god.
What are you going to do now?

That wasn't logic, that was just opinion. Oh, and by the way...? The right line is "because they were written by people who were alive at the time. After two-thousand years plus, I doubt those men who wrote the letters put together to make the Bible "ARE still alive"....

Adrimor

Banned
Banned
That wasn't logic, that was just opinion. Oh, and by the way...? The right line is "because they were written by people who were alive at the time. After two-thousand years plus, I doubt those men who wrote the letters put together to make the Bible "ARE still alive"....
Well, you never know. According to them, stranger things have happened.

Get-dancing

This is one of the things that baffles me about religion, most religions that is. They teach you to prepare for death. Egyptians did it with their religion, as does Christianity, Zarathustra, Islam, Judaism, and so forth.

Ever heard of Pascal's wager? Look it up, you might find it interesting.

Skittle

Banned
Banned
Improved edit.
Actually fail edit. I have met MANY MANY stupid atheists. Especially in my school I have noticed that a lot of people are in the lower classes proclaim atheism while many of my AP friends proclaim they have a religion. Now I am not saying this applies to everyone. I have met stupid religion people and smart athiests. Making that generalization is just wrong. Honestly, it is things like that that anger me. I do not call anyone stupid for believe what they believe, even if it is nothing. What gives you the right to? Honestly, I do not like religious debates I believe that it is something between you and your personal diety or dieties.

So please, stop. Things like that are childish and immature.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Ever heard of Pascal's wager? Look it up, you might find it interesting.

As fair a wager as a game of Three-Card Monte in a dark alley, I'm sad to report.

Talvi

Actually fail edit. I have met MANY MANY stupid atheists. Especially in my school I have noticed that a lot of people are in the lower classes proclaim atheism while many of my AP friends proclaim they have a religion. Now I am not saying this applies to everyone. I have met stupid religion people and smart athiests. Making that generalization is just wrong. Honestly, it is things like that that anger me. I do not call anyone stupid for believe what they believe, even if it is nothing. What gives you the right to? Honestly, I do not like religious debates I believe that it is something between you and your personal diety or dieties.

So please, stop. Things like that are childish and immature.
Well, no shit? It really doesn't take much brainpower to be cynical of religion. Atheism is also stupid-people friendly.

However to believe in something completely unproven does, I think, require some or a combination of stupidity/ignorance/brainwashing/delusion (plus other factors, such as fear of death). Christianity sprouted through ignorance and violence at a time where society was much less developed and we didn't know really anything about the universe we live in. We live in 2008 and we know it's full of shit, there's no excuse. Do we take people seriously who believe in pixies? Well, at least they don't have a lifecode about believing in pixies and doing exactly as the pixies say, or else after death they'll arrive in a place of eternal torment and pain. You know, even if I did believe in God, he can go fuck himself. He's an egotistical, narcissistic control-freak. "You have the free will to do exactly as I say or burn in hell, faggots!". People worship that? Unbelieveable.

As for "what gives you the right to [call people stupid]"? Well, what gives you the right to dictate my opinions and actions? "I don't call people stupid", holier-than-thou much? I exist. That's my right to express whatever I want. If you don't like it, I'm not going to kiss your ass or shut up about it.
Who else is going to, God?

Skittle

Banned
Banned
Well, no shit? It really doesn't take much brainpower to be cynical of religion. Atheism is also stupid-people friendly.

However to believe in something completely unproven does, I think, require some or a combination of stupidity/ignorance/brainwashing/delusion (plus other factors, such as fear of death). Christianity sprouted through ignorance and violence at a time where society was much less developed and we didn't know really anything about the universe we live in. We live in 2008 and we know it's full of shit, there's no excuse. Do we take people seriously who believe in pixies? Well, at least they don't have a lifecode about believing in pixies and doing exactly as the pixies say, or else after death they'll arrive in a place of eternal torment and pain. You know, even if I did believe in God, he can go fuck himself. He's an egotistical, narcissistic control-freak. "You have the free will to do exactly as I say or burn in hell, faggots!". People worship that? Unbelieveable.

As for "what gives you the right to [call people stupid]"? Well, what gives you the right to dictate my opinions and actions? "I don't call people stupid", holier-than-thou much? I exist. That's my right to express whatever I want. If you don't like it, I'm not going to kiss your ass or shut up about it.
Who else is going to, God?
So every single religion is stupid is basically what you are saying. Everyone who believes in something is an idiot. People turn to religion to help them lead their lives, learn morals and even pick themselves up. I'm sorry but I personally believe that you do not have t follow everything the Bible says as the Bible was written by people and not God, thus as people change the Bible would change. People are not perfect. I do not believe I am holier than anyone actually, quite the opposite. I believe I am the scum of the Earth but that is my own opinion and needs not to be elaborated on or discussed. You can believe what you want but expect people to get pissed at you for calling them stupid. It cannot be proven that God exists or that He doesn't so I will believe what I want to believe. People believed a lot of things before they were proven right or wrong. Back in the day when people believed the Earth was flat, they weren't considered to be stupid for it was what was believed and though it was not proven or disproven, was it? The Universe is infinately large which means if God exists he could be anywhere in the mass expanse of it. Also, he could be in an alternate reality or universe. It is not proven or disproven. Evolution is still just a theory. Theories have evidence behind them but are not entirely proven. I honestly believe in evolution but, where did that first single cell come from? I believe God planted it here and has helped people evolve into what they are today. I do not believe dinosaurs never existed or that their bones were placed here to test our faith in God. I believe, in my opinion, that is just silly. However, I am not going to call that person an idiot for it. Just like people still believe the Earth is flat. They believe the photos of the Earth are all fake. I believe that is just stupid and silly but I have no room to say they are stupid. There are some extremely smart people, scientists who believe that. No one has any room to call anyone an idiot really when it comes to beliefs because beliefs are opinons. So now if you want to continue to fight with me and call me an idiot, go ahead. I am done with childish game. I have stated my OPINION which to you can either be right or wrong but to me is right. I keep my beliefs to myself and do no try to ram them down anyone's throats. By calling them stupid you are saying they are wrong and that they should believe what you believe.

Sorry but I believe in God and if you want to call me an idiot for it and call everyone else who believes in something an idiot. Go right ahead but it may just be a reflection of what you think about yourself and your own insecurities.

(Sorry about typos and all. I am on a computer that refuses to use spell check.)