• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I wanna post my artwork on Fur Affinity, but I also don't want to...

LuxerHusku

The Unlucky Husky
Okay, let me get this out of my head and share with the community. I'm TERRIBLE at drawing. No matter how much I try to improve, I do the same crap every time and it makes me upset, honestly.

I wanted to get better with my skills, to one day, be as decent as my favorite artist, but compared to them, I'm a laughing stock!

Anyway, I'm too scared to even post 1 artwork because there many reasons:

1. My artwork sucks!

2. It's done on paper. Yep. Paper. I don't have a digital pad nor a scanner, so expect to see lpe quality pictures.

3. I'm a coward...

4. I really don't know how you guys would even react to my work, which is what I'm most afraid of...

So, as the title states, should it post my artwork or not?

LindyHop

Bring me my brown pants!
I wouldn't worry about what other people think, every artist started somewhere and most of us started where you are now. But on the other hand as a person with creative aspirations you're going to have to develop a thick skin especially against yourself because you're going to be your own worst critic. Now you can improve without posting online, the most important thing is to keep drawing, and drawing, and drawing. Progress will be slow at first ad you'll doubt yourself, but one day you'll have that a-ha moment, I found with my own development that I'd have periods of stagnancy then suddenly my art would improve tenfold seemingly overnight. However, helpful critique will help you improve faster, that is if you actually take the advice, no one says you have to. Personally I say go for it, I look forward to seeing it and seeing your progress. Of course it's always your choice.

LuxerHusku

The Unlucky Husky
I wouldn't worry about what other people think, every artist started somewhere and most of us started where you are now. But on the other hand as a person with creative aspirations you're going to have to develop a thick skin especially against yourself because you're going to be your own worst critic. Now you can improve without posting online, the most important thing is to keep drawing, and drawing, and drawing. Progress will be slow at first ad you'll doubt yourself, but one day you'll have that a-ha moment, I found with my own development that I'd have periods of stagnancy then suddenly my art would improve tenfold seemingly overnight. However, helpful critique will help you improve faster, that is if you actually take the advice, no one says you have to. Personally I say go for it, I look forward to seeing it and seeing your progress. Of course it's always your choice.
Okay then. I guess I'll try then. Thanks. I feel more confident now, thanks to you and the furs from Telegram lol.

My first artwork is gonna be posted so...here goes nothing...

Wish me luck! ^^

Samandriel Morningstar

The Morningstar
As long as it's nothing questionable or against TOS then you shouldn't have to worry about anything.
Everyone starts somewhere,but if you start trying to compare your work to others you're going to set yourself up in the wrong direction.
Everyone has their own style,and you can't get better unless you keep working at it and getting advice from others.
So don't worry,just go with the flow and do what you need to do.
Everyone's an artist as long as they try.

D

De_lox

Okay, let me get this out of my head and share with the community. I'm TERRIBLE at drawing. No matter how much I try to improve, I do the same crap every time and it makes me upset, honestly.

I wanted to get better with my skills, to one day, be as decent as my favorite artist, but compared to them, I'm a laughing stock!

1. My artwork sucks!

2. It's done on paper. Yep. Paper. I don't have a digital pad nor a scanner, so expect to see lpe quality pictures.

3. I'm a coward...

4. I really don't know how you guys would even react to my work, which is what I'm most afraid of...

Well if you are so negative about your drawing skills I may recommend trying another art form. My first semester of high school I took a basic drawing class. I was always so disappointed in my work and I hated the class soooo much. But then my next semester I took wood working and I loved it. I love working with my hands and I can create prices of art better than I ever could in drawing. So when in doubt try something new.

PrismaKitty

Draws with Claws
If you haven't seen this, please watch it. As an art student, this video has helped me get through the bad days as best I can.
If you decide not to try, you're just denying yourself opportunity to improve. If you're wanting to improve, you have to work for it and realize that you won't please everybody with your work, so just roll with the punches and request honest and constructive critique.

D

De_lox

If you haven't seen this, please watch it. As an art student, this video has helped me get through the bad days as best I can.
If you decide not to try, you're just denying yourself opportunity to improve. If you're wanting to improve, you have to work for it and realize that you won't please everybody with your work, so just roll with the punches and request honest and constructive critique.
I know I've heard the try and try again speech but over time and experience I've felt like sometimes no matter how hard you try you can never be good. I remember showing up for basketball practice as a 5th grader with no experience but I was only useful because of my height. I played until the 8th grade and I never missed a practice and I worked so hard but as time went on and my friends got taller I became more and more useless for my team and I seemed to never get any better. Then this year I tried out for the basketball team and I didn't make it I was so disappointed. But I wanted to do a sport so I decided to join the wrestling team with no experience what so ever. After 3 weeks of practice I went to my first JV tournament and I got raped. Pinned all 3 mathches in less than 1 minute. I was so sad and I felt like it was basketball all over again. But I worked as hard as I did in basketball and I saw true improvement. After 5 weeks of practice I went to my second tournament, a varsity one. I lost my first two matches and I felt horrible. But my last match I won, a 9-5 decision. I was so happy. As the season went on I got better and better. At the end of the season I wasn't suppose to compete at the district tournament (state qualifier) as we could only enter 2 195 wrestlers and my team had 3. I was the youngest so I didn't get the spot, so I asked to go 220. Wrestling kids 30 pounds bigger than me. And I lost one round before placing (6th was the lowest place so technically the two kids who lost before the placing matches tied for 8th). That meant I was one of the top 8 220 wrestlers in my conference even though I was only 190. At the end of season party I got a varsity letter and I was so proud. So yah I know you should always try, but sometimes, it doesn't work.

PrismaKitty

Draws with Claws
I know I've heard the try and try again speech but over time and experience I've felt like sometimes no matter how hard you try you can never be good. I remember showing up for basketball practice as a 5th grader with no experience but I was only useful because of my height. I played until the 8th grade and I never missed a practice and I worked so hard but as time went on and my friends got taller I became more and more useless for my team and I seemed to never get any better. Then this year I tried out for the basketball team and I didn't make it I was so disappointed. But I wanted to do a sport so I decided to join the wrestling team with no experience what so ever. After 3 weeks of practice I went to my first JV tournament and I got raped. Pinned all 3 mathches in less than 1 minute. I was so sad and I felt like it was basketball all over again. But I worked as hard as I did in basketball and I saw true improvement. After 5 weeks of practice I went to my second tournament, a varsity one. I lost my first two matches and I felt horrible. But my last match I won, a 9-5 decision. I was so happy. As the season went on I got better and better. At the end of the season I wasn't suppose to compete at the district tournament (state qualifier) as we could only enter 2 195 wrestlers and my team had 3. I was the youngest so I didn't get the spot, so I asked to go 220. Wrestling kids 30 pounds bigger than me. And I lost one round before placing (6th was the lowest place so technically the two kids who lost before the placing matches tied for 8th). That meant I was one of the top 8 220 wrestlers in my conference even though I was only 190. At the end of season party I got a varsity letter and I was so proud. So yah I know you should always try, but sometimes, it doesn't work.
That's true. There have also been things (like sports) in my life that I have never been able to catch on to. Sometimes that just happens. But you'll never know if you don't try. There are a lot of factors that go into learning and growing from something. It's also great to try many different mediums to see if anything sticks better. :)

D

De_lox

That's true. There have also been things (like sports) in my life that I have never been able to catch on to. Sometimes that just happens. But you'll never know if you don't try. There are a lot of factors that go into learning and growing from something. It's also great to try many different mediums to see if anything sticks better. :)
Yah, that's why I do wood working instead of drawing

Kahze

Just post it man, artwork is for sharing.

It's very useful to have a skin to criticism so that you can apply whatever feedback you get on your work calmly and constructively - so see this as an exercise in not being too emotionally invested in the things you do.

OddOcculitist

Hail Satin!!!
I post my stuff (poeticoccult) on FA despite the same issues. I recently started drawing again after four-ish years of not. My tablet got broken a lot time ago. I'm currently at college and don't want to upload my art on their scanners. (There are already a few loonies here, I don't want to be grouped with them for drawing SFW anthro OCs). I just post to keep a record of how my OC's develop in style and appearance. I just like having it up to maybe one day when I progress a bit more, I can see a bit difference. Just keep practicing. Also find an artist you like and try to see if they have guides. A friend has recently showed me sycra, who is a great non-anthro artist, but he has drawing guides on youtube and I love his style.
I try to draw as much as I can. I do some practice drawing by drawing something from memory multiple times and then I try to draw a character using a reference. Sometimes I draw a character free hand, trying to use what I had learned when I used to draw a lot in high school.

P

ProxFox

1. My artwork sucks!

3. I'm a coward...

You gotta practice. You need to make a lot of crap before making gold. Also, there is NO way you can be the worst artist on the site.

luxdreamer

You should totally post your artwork. It sounds like you've been thinking about it a lot
and at the end of the day you just don't know what will happen until you try. The more
you practice the better you will get! I draw on paper and take pictures so I understand how
it might be scary considering that the internet is flooded with digital art but traditional
pieces are beautiful too! I would love to see your art. You can do it!

Elohiim_Koshiiri

Terradorable
Do what I do!

Skip the whole learning too draw thing and buy arts!

:c

Ricky

Pics or it didn't happen!

No, but seriously, like someone said you are probably your worst critic.. or at least the worst critic that matters. No matter what you do, in a large enough group of people somebody will *always* complain. I've seen a ton of asinine comments on FA by people who don't have a clue. That shouldn't prevent you from making yourself visible, and brushing that stuff off is a necessity if you are ever going to do this in the first place.

Here's some educational material to help understand what these people might be thinking:

Bidoyinn

Go ahead and do it (Though I think you should save up for a scanner)!
There are a lot of really good traditional artists out there that post their stuff online, so don't worry about your medium. It's always a little bit scary to throw your work out there, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? You'll get better as long as you keep going anyway. Good luck and have fun!

Gharn

absolutely upload it. Everyone starts somewhere, i mean god when i look at my old artwork from 9 or 10 years ago i want to weep, but persistence pays off! And even if you aren't confident in what you produce now people will still appreciate the fact you are actively trying and contributing! Also if you dont they you could miss out on some genuinely useful tips from other artists.
Dont be worried, if you try then people will be out there to support you :)

Luku_Zuku

Still trying to draw, slowly
1. It's your work. It's bound to be bad in the beginning. My anthro work are incredibly bad. 2. My drawing are on paper too, but that's not stopped me from posting on Deviantart. I just took a picture and they were happy with that. 3. Don't be scared about it. It's really intimidating at first, but then some people look at it, leave good reviews and it's like a rush of adrenaline. It's seriously addictive. 4. The world's a lot more friendly than you'd think. He Internet is famed to be a dark and scary place, but around each corner, is just another nice person. Look at everyone else here.