• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I want to discuss the 'Upload Policy'.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I did read your first argument. That's what forum posts are for. You know, text and all that, reading...that's sometimes hard but since I like books, I like to read.

However, repeating how you think it is ridiculous is not a valid argument when it was stated why this no longer falls under their acceptable use policy.

BijouxDeFoxxe

shake wut ur mama gave u
Different sites have different rules. FA is not DA. This site is to show off the art that people have created for themselves, or what other people have created for *them*. If you have created a wallpaper of your own, or somebody made the wallpaper for you, then it would follow the "For You/By You" policies of this site.

And as others have said, we Admin do not have eyes on every single image uploaded on this site. To do this, we would have to give up our real life. And since all of us are doing the management of this site for free, already spending hours each day maintaining the rules and standards of the site, as well as have our social life, jobs, families, and loved ones to deal with on a daily basis. That is why we have users and the forums. So that the users can post the violations on the forums. Which is why the FA Admin love our users so much. They know we can't see everything that is going on.

And Yak has already said that later, the option of uploading screenshots is going to be removed at a later date.

Pard

BijouxDeFoxxe said:
And Yak has already said that later, the option of uploading screenshots is going to be removed at a later date.

So I think that untill then such screens should be allowed, because otherwise it's pointless to state it as that...

BijouxDeFoxxe

shake wut ur mama gave u
The point is, they aren't allowed. Just because you disagree with a rule, does not mean you should go out and disobey with the rule. Breaking the rules of the site leads to repercussions.

Pard

BijouxDeFoxxe said:
The point is, they aren't allowed. Just because you disagree with a rule, does not mean you should go out and disobey with the rule. Breaking the rules of the site leads to repercussions.

Ok so let me ask you this: is my screen violeting the ruls since I'm not displaying the full wallpaper because the part of it is covered by my media player and icons?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Why is it that you want the admins to read your arguments, but completely ignore theirs?

MadPlumber

BijouxDeFoxxe said:
FA is not DA.
I very much have to applaud that statement. I personally am not looking to see every art sharing forum to model itself line for line after deviantART.
BijouxDeFoxxe said:
My observation is that screenshots or desktops take the following forms that I assume not to be of violation:
  • My Desktop The user performs a Print Screen of their desktop with their custom-made wallpaper and whatever icons clutter their desktop.
  • Kiriban Pageviews The user Print Screens the userpage of an artist waging a Kiriban contest as "proof" of reaching desired pageviews.
  • Work In Progress The user Print Screens a view of Photoshop or Painter opened to their current project.
More often, however, I notice that "screenshot" takes the form of a user's screen capture of their favorite video game or cartoon. And it is also somewhat a nuissance that most users forego using automatic submission scrapping.

However, I wouldn't want the screenshot or desktop category to necessarily be totally abolished. A use of the screenshot category that I seldom see is captures of user-made games, and in that I mean games made entirely of user-generated content. Since some of my projects include game programming projects, I would still like the ability to post a single screenshot of my game so long as all graphical content was produced by myself.

I am also curious that if a "desktop" category is abolished that it will result in miscategorized user-made wallpapers being deleted.

As for the main topic of this discussions, with all due respect, I feel the moderators have been fairly succinct about why desktop shots of other users' wallpapers are not permitted.

BijouxDeFoxxe

shake wut ur mama gave u
Pard said:
Ok so let me ask you this: is my screen violeting the ruls since I'm not displaying the full wallpaper because the part of it is covered by my media player and icons?

Yes it is violating the rules. It is not displaying a skin you made, icons you made, and/or a wallpaper you made, or that somebody made ONLY for you.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
Why is this even an issue?

Some picture you grabbed from Google Image Search but cluttered with assorted app icons you never bothered to delete -- at least half of which every other person on the planet also has -- is not art. You did not create anything. All you did was take ten seconds to plug others' work together in an obvious fashion. If you think your wallpaper is super-duper-rad, make a journal linking to it on Photobucket, which is meant for this sort of thing. Better yet, just link to the original so people can actually use it; 90% of the time, the contents of your desktop are not very interesting, and a shrunk-down low-quality JPEG is of rather less aesthetic value than the original.

Pard said:
You allow desktop screenshot to be postet, yet you forbid them to be posted if I use not made-by-me wallpaper, which is irrational because not so many people are so good at to as to do their own wallpapers.
FA allows art to be posted; is that not fair either because not everyone can make art?

Janglur

Pard said:
I won't follow them because they are ridiculous. You allow desktop screenshot to be postet, yet you forbid them to be posted if I use not made-by-me wallpaper, which is irrational because not so many people are so good at to as to do their own wallpapers. What is more if I post it with the default wallpaper it's also breaking the policy because it's not made by me. So why allowing posting desktop screens if you actually cannot do that, unless you did your own wallpaper?

And I think you're rediculous. Thus, you will not get what you want.

Also, it's not rediculous. It's COPYRIGHT. Dum.... i'll refrain.

AllenR

Hanazawa said:
so is this acceptable?

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1001539/

/snerk

Did you design that desk? Or that PC case? What about the calender? No? Then it's a violation.

See what I'm getting at here? And before anyone seems to bring it up, yes I saw yak's post about the section being removed. But basically, my point is, nothing in a desktop screen shot will be a fully user made design. So to say that the submission is a violation because the image isn't "user made" when the only thing they're getting deleted for is the wallpaper when half of the users use the default Windows or Mac icons and theme is just a bit hypocritical.

And let's be honest here. How many views do peoples desktops even get? Probably not a whole lot. I'd say lay off a bit on the desktop deletions if they're all going to be removed eventually anyway.

Pard

They won't, Allen, they're the allmight admins/mods and they're gonna do what they think is right.

Ceceil Felias

Never have I seen fail so huge
AllenR said:
Hanazawa said:
so is this acceptable?

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1001539/

/snerk

Did you design that desk? Or that PC case? What about the calender? No? Then it's a violation.
Bzzt! Wrong! The photo itself was taken by Hanazawa and thus belongs to him. The hardware involved is also presumably of his own ownership, but that's nitpicking and has no basis on evaluation of acceptance or not.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

And seriously, this entire thread has become nothing but Pard BAAAAAWWWWWWWing. It's getting boring, honestly, so I think I'll see if I can throw a quick drop of sense into the conversation.

Nobody's forcing you to be here. If you refuse to follow the policies, GTFO.

Note that disagreeing and refusing to follow are different things here -- disagreeing with the policies but following them regardless while you try to explain your case is an act of courtesy. Bitching when you don't get your way and making sarcastic remarks towards authority = being a spoiled brat, not an act of courtesy.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
AllenR said:
Sounds fine to me; stuff you bought isn't art either. Photography is, of course, a pain in the ass to really decide upon, as it can be used for both artistic purposes and mundane recording, but I am guessing that a bad webcam-ish shot of an untidy and un-notable desk is not meant to be artistic.

AllenR said:
But basically, my point is, nothing in a desktop screen shot will be a fully user made design. So to say that the submission is a violation because the image isn't "user made" when the only thing they're getting deleted for is the wallpaper when half of the users use the default Windows or Mac icons and theme is just a bit hypocritical.
Where is the hypocrisy? I'm pretty sure I made this exact point in what I said.

You can't just Google image search and throw up some picture, because it's not your art. I don't see why slapping a taskbar over the image should change anything.

AllenR said:
And let's be honest here. How many views do peoples desktops even get? Probably not a whole lot. I'd say lay off a bit on the desktop deletions if they're all going to be removed eventually anyway.
I doubt goatse would get many views either.

AllenR

Ceceil Felias said:
Bzzt! Wrong! The photo itself was taken by Hanazawa and thus belongs to him. The hardware involved is also presumably of his own ownership, but that's nitpicking and has no basis on evaluation of acceptance or not.

So what you're saying is that I can now go take pictures of all the posters in my room and upload them because I took the photo and there for I own the captured image and it's not against FA's rules?

Eevee said:
Where is the hypocrisy? I'm pretty sure I made this exact point in what I said.

You can't just Google image search and throw up some picture, because it's not your art. I don't see why slapping a taskbar over the image should change anything.

The hypocrisy lies within the fact that apparently, I could take a screen shot of my desktop with images of icons not made by me, but so long as I designed the wallpaper everything is OK. And let's not forget that sometimes few people upload desktop screen shots with more than just icons and a taskbar.

Stratelier

So what you're saying is that I can now go take pictures of all the posters in my room and upload them because I took the photo and there for I own the captured image and it's not against FA's rules?

Firstly, if you browse the manual for a camera these days you'll certainly find that little disclaimer saying that taking pictures of a copyrighted work could constitute a violation of local copyright law(s).

But on to the meatier issue...

If somebody uses a digital camera to snapshot a drawing or painting (in lieu of a scanner) they made, or of a sculpture, is that considered photography? -- Not so fast. Sure it is 'technically' a photo, but the photography is only a means to capture and display the artistic creation, it is not a means unto itself.

I like to phrase it as: Photography of art, versus photography as art. In the former case, the fact of photo-taking should be ignored while the art form itself is evaluated against the AUP.

Example: If you take a photo of a movie poster, and it's obvious that the only purpose of said photo is to show off that poster -- then the art form in question is not the photograph you took but the movie poster -- which isn't yours, and would constitute an AUP violation.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
AllenR said:
The hypocrisy lies within the fact that apparently, I could take a screen shot of my desktop with images of icons not made by me, but so long as I designed the wallpaper everything is OK.
Ah, well, that's ridiculous too. I am having trouble coming up with any example of a desktop screenshot's being anything resembling art, with the sole exception of showing off a GUI skin that the user created.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Ceceil Felias said:

Hanazawa is a SHE.

There is also limit on "off topic" photos on FA too. If she were submitting a bunch of these photos it would be considered spam.

Workspace is relevant to how she produces art. Desktop is...what?

The TOS is just to keep the number of off topic stuff that really isn't "created by you or for you" in the sense that you're creating a myfurspace page. After all, there are tutorials with screenshots of a program would end up being a violation at some point.

Ceceil Felias

Never have I seen fail so huge
Arshes Nei said:
Ceceil Felias said:

Hanazawa is a SHE.
Oops, my bad. I suppose that's what I get for typing up posts late at noght when I should be getting some much-needed sleep, eheh. :D;;

My apologies, Hanazawa! D:

AllenR

Stratadrake said:
blah blah blah

I 100% realize that already dude. I was just making the point that just because you bought the product doesn't exactly mean that you can go around taking photo's of it and submitting it anywhere.

Eevee said:
AllenR said:
The hypocrisy lies within the fact that apparently, I could take a screen shot of my desktop with images of icons not made by me, but so long as I designed the wallpaper everything is OK.
Ah, well, that's ridiculous too. I am having trouble coming up with any example of a desktop screenshot's being anything resembling art, with the sole exception of showing off a GUI skin that the user created.

Well, technically something if is art or not does fall down in the matter of opinion but I do agree that desktop screen shots don't qualify as art. Which is why I think that they shouldn't be slapping artistic rules on that section if they're going to have it. And that's really all my point is. FA shouldn't be making sections for images that never really qualify as art, but at the same time slapping artistic rules into that section.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Allen, go back a few posts, they already said this was going to be taken down, just seems silly to argue about something that said "this is a feature we are removing".