• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

ICKY NEEDS HALP: A Double Thread

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
FOR PEOPLE WITH A TABLET:

I just got a tablet a few weeks ago, and am absolutely clueless about the whole thing. It's a Windows 8 tablet, which I'm almost familiar with (as familiar as anyone can get with Windows 8, anyway), but I still don't know what all I can do with it.

What apps/programs should I get? I would love to take notes, browse textbooks, play games, and maybe even draw on it. Any reccomendations?

FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE GONE OR ARE CURRENTLY GOING TO COLLEGE:

I am also doing this, and I am also clueless here!

What should I take, what should I be prepared for, what should I definitely not do, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance c:

PastryOfApathy

What should I take, what should I be prepared for, what should I definitely not do, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance c:

Talk to an education councilor at your campus. They can answer any questions you may have and can assist you through the never ending series of insufferably tedious tasks that is college better than we can.

Seekrit

Take all the free pizza you can get, and if some group/club/society person asks you for your email address you tell them to fuck off. Only sign up for stuff you will actually give a crap about the next day. For three years the croquet club kept finding ways to send me emails. How far away is your university? If it's far and you'll be taking public transport or planes home, don't bring too much stuff. Worry about your clothes, laptop, and only bring textbooks with you. Get a damn ebook reader it'll be your best friend for the next few years.

And be prepared to be treated like an adult. No one will come running when you mess up or need help, you have to go get it. Don't worry though, it's always there :3

I do not tablets.

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
Talk to an education councilor at your campus. They can answer any questions you may have and can assist you through the never ending series of insufferably tedious tasks that is college better than we can.

Yeah, I'm prepared to talk to the staff there about all of those official and tedious tasks.

Take all the free pizza you can get, and if some group/club/society person asks you for your email address you tell them to fuck off. Only sign up for stuff you will actually give a crap about the next day. For three years the croquet club kept finding ways to send me emails. How far away is your university? If it's far and you'll be taking public transport or planes home, don't bring too much stuff. Worry about your clothes, laptop, and only bring textbooks with you. Get a damn ebook reader it'll be your best friend for the next few years.

And be prepared to be treated like an adult. No one will come running when you mess up or need help, you have to go get it. Don't worry though, it's always there :3

I do not tablets.

I am so prepared to take advantage of all the free food I can. Besides, I love croquet.

My campus is only a two hour drive away, so I can take more stuff if I ever forget anything. And yeah, I have a tablet for the eBook reading, I just ...have to figure out how to.

Seekrit

I am so prepared to take advantage of all the free food I can. Besides, I love croquet.

My campus is only a two hour drive away, so I can take more stuff if I ever forget anything. And yeah, I have a tablet for the eBook reading, I just ...have to figure out how to.

You only think you love croquet, until you get spammed by the club daily. Looks like stuff won't be a problem for you, or even getting home should you need it. And you seem to be responsible enough, so I don't need to tell you to watch your money. Not to be a killjoy or anything, but after the first few weeks and you get settled in life is pretty normal. Nothing you have to be worried about, really.

Oh and see if you can install calibre for Windows 8. It's ebook management software, and it's pretty amazing.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm

Thanks in advance c:
Go to a local college or a technical college to save money.
Know what you want before going.
Get grants and loans out the wazoo.
Dorms are a lot cheaper.
Take afternoon classes.
Don't drink during the week.
Always make sure to have at least one condom on you at all times in case of emergency. Personally I would suggest 3 or 4.

Last edited:

Seekrit

Take afternoon classes.
Don't drink during the week.

1. Grants yes, loans no. Students in your country are already screwed over enough by loans.
2. Take the classes you need to regardless of time.
3. Drink and be sociable whenever you feel like it, having a drink doesn't mean getting plastered.

Jeez CF, you're trying to fuck burdboy over financially, educationally and socially. You're a monster.

CannonFodder

1. Grants yes, loans no. Students in your country are already screwed over enough by loans.
2. Take the classes you need to regardless of time.
3. Drink and be sociable whenever you feel like it, having a drink doesn't mean getting plastered.

Jeez CF, you're trying to fuck burdboy over financially, educationally and socially. You're a monster.
That's why I said loans plus go to a technical school. Most technical schools in general are a hell of a lot cheaper.

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
You only think you love croquet, until you get spammed by the club daily. Looks like stuff won't be a problem for you, or even getting home should you need it. And you seem to be responsible enough, so I don't need to tell you to watch your money. Not to be a killjoy or anything, but after the first few weeks and you get settled in life is pretty normal. Nothing you have to be worried about, really.

Oh and see if you can install calibre for Windows 8. It's ebook management software, and it's pretty amazing.

I hope it just seems normal, actually. Changes are weeeeeird.

And I'll look into Calibre. I actually already have it, I've just never used it much.

Go to a local college or a technical college to save money.
Dorms are a lot cheaper.
Take afternoon classes.

It's the middle of August. Don't you think it's a little late for any of this to be helpful?

besides, guys can't get pregnant :V

Kangamutt

1. Get your core classes out of the way first. English, math, all the regular shit you normally went to high school for. Better to do it now, and also gives you a little extra time to think over your major.
2. BE PREPARED TO REGISTER YOUR CLASSES AT THE TIME REGISTRATION BEGINS. Seriously, especially with a lot of registrations being done electronically, it's a good idea to have all the class numbers at your fingertips at the point your registration date opens.
3. Don't expect to get the classes you need for said core classes, those are the ones that fill up the fastest.
4. Coffee is your friend.
EDIT: 5. Buy your books used. Bookstores are like Game Stop when it comes to buybacks.

Cain

Guess what mood I'm in today.
Ew, Windows 8.

And hell. Don't even remind me how much of a pain it's going to be as an international student attempting to apply to a US university. Gaaaaaaawd.

CannonFodder

Ew, Windows 8.

And hell. Don't even remind me how much of a pain it's going to be as an international student attempting to apply to a US university. Gaaaaaaawd.
Oh my god! Cain you're coming to amurrica?!

Cain

Oh my god! Cain you're coming to amurrica?!
I can hear the cocks hardening and the panties hitting the floor. :v

In about two years, perhaps. For university at least.

I was planning to continue living there, but now that I have a special someone somewhere else, I'm reconsidering my plans. I don't really know. I like the US, but I love my partner. I'll see. I guess I have two years to figure it all out, but I really only have less than a year, as I prepare for university applications and stuff. Shit's complicated.

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
1. Get your core classes out of the way first. English, math, all the regular shit you normally went to high school for. Better to do it now, and also gives you a little extra time to think over your major.
2. BE PREPARED TO REGISTER YOUR CLASSES AT THE TIME REGISTRATION BEGINS. Seriously, especially with a lot of registrations being done electronically, it's a good idea to have all the class numbers at your fingertips at the point your registration date opens.
3. Don't expect to get the classes you need for said core classes, those are the ones that fill up the fastest.
4. Coffee is your friend.
EDIT: 5. Buy your books used. Bookstores are like Game Stop when it comes to buybacks.

1. Already doing that, heard that from p much EVERYONE so far.
2. My college has this whole confusing internet system to make all of the registration bullshit pretty painless, so I'm okay there for now.
3. As far as I know, the only conflicts I have are with my own classes, not with classes filling up. The school's pretty small, really.
4. Ohfuckyus.
5. I'm looking into that as well, I'd like them either used, or on the tablet.

Ew, Windows 8.

I know, right? I'm getting used to it but god is it fucking stupid sometimes.

Where are you planning on going, anyway?

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
This thread is also about tablets, you guys :U

Join some clubs and shit.

Absolutely. Tennis, engineering, lgbt and (possibly) mlp clubs are a definte, and I'll find more while I'm there.

Not sure about frats, though.

(and holy fuck i haven't seen you in forever)

Cain

1. Already doing that, heard that from p much EVERYONE so far.
2. My college has this whole confusing internet system to make all of the registration bullshit pretty painless, so I'm okay there for now.
3. As far as I know, the only conflicts I have are with my own classes, not with classes filling up. The school's pretty small, really.
4. Ohfuckyus.
5. I'm looking into that as well, I'd like them either used, or on the tablet.

I know, right? I'm getting used to it but god is it fucking stupid sometimes.

Where are you planning on going, anyway?
Originally, my top school of choice is UC Berkeley. If not there, UCLA, and a few other unis scattered around California. Also UC Boulder, and Uni of Washington. It's surprising that not that many universities offer astrophysics/astronomy. There may be a few on the east coast, but I don't know. Like I said, I'm expanding my scope in terms of where to go.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
YOu can't expect people in their late teens or early twenties to know what the fuck they want to do.

OP, changing your major is fucking common so don't stress out if you wind up doing that.

College isn't that much different than high school really, only now you've more responsibility than before. I know my last year I wound up getting a laptop for taking notes, and that turned out to be one hellova boon because my handwriting is garbage adn I can type stupidly fast.

Grab your text books as early as you can so you're not sitting there the first day waiting in line like most people. it's a shit line to be in and you get fucked in the ass at the end of it.

OH! Depending on the classes you take, check to see if the textbooks you need are online. Torrent em if you can. Fuckers are expensive and not usually worth their price. I wound up downloading half of my textbooks in my last semester and saving like 150 bucks...but I was an English major so most of those were books in the public domain :p

CannonFodder

But taking out loans is still a bad idea just in general.
As someone who has before taken six classes in a single semester and have a full time job trust me it's a fucking nightmare to JUST go through college by paying for it 100% with money you already have.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
As someone who has before taken six classes in a single semester and have a full time job trust me it's a fucking nightmare to JUST go through college by paying for it 100% with money you already have.
The main issue with loans at the moment is, unless you're entering a field likely to have a job waiting for you upon graduation (humorously, most probable for trades such as electrician or plumber), you're still looking at a lump of debt before you can start truly making cash. This isn't to say loans can't help, but to be careful with receiving them and try not to bite off more than is necessary.

Also, since you're talking about moving onto campus: Know what places are around. You'll come to learn it in the following years as well, but if you ever get the chance one day just take a walk and see if there's anything interesting nearby. Find the places that are the best mix of convenient, good, and cheap. Find if there's any chill not-university spots to hang out if you want to interact with non-fellow students. Know at least one to two other good parking places in case one is inaccessible for whatever reason (ex: Closed for school event, or due to accident).

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
Also, since you're talking about moving onto campus: Know what places are around. You'll come to learn it in the following years as well, but if you ever get the chance one day just take a walk and see if there's anything interesting nearby. Find the places that are the best mix of convenient, good, and cheap. Find if there's any chill not-university spots to hang out if you want to interact with non-fellow students. Know at least one to two other good parking places in case one is inaccessible for whatever reason (ex: Closed for school event, or due to accident).
I'll definitely take my first opportunity to explore that I get. It'll be a welcome change from McDonalds and Subway being the town hangouts :v

Shànwàng

Lavender Scented
This thread is also about tablets, you guys :U
I don't know nothing about no tablets. I'll get one some day.

Absolutely. Tennis, engineering, lgbt and (possibly) mlp clubs are a definte, and I'll find more while I'm there.

Not sure about frats, though.

(and holy fuck i haven't seen you in forever)

I don't know much about frats. As someone on the outside I see a generally negative perception. But I've also heard stories about how the right frat can open doors later on in careers. I'd do some research, some frats' negative reputations far exceed them.

If I had any real advice, balancing time and developing strong personal discipline is key, don't let schoolwork keep you from getting out and socializing but also be prepared to say no to 'distractions.' First midterms and finals are pretty stressful, especially on a full time schedule so take break, seriously.

(I didn't think anyone noticed, lol. Short story: worked a second (part time) job, became involved in a loving relationship, and started exercising twice as much in the event I'm selected to take the PAT's for firefighter.)

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
Originally, my top school of choice is UC Berkeley. If not there, UCLA, and a few other unis scattered around California. Also UC Boulder, and Uni of Washington. It's surprising that not that many universities offer astrophysics/astronomy. There may be a few on the east coast, but I don't know. Like I said, I'm expanding my scope in terms of where to go.

Ooooh, astrophysics? I might be going into aerospace engineering which is almost sorta the exact same!

YOu can't expect people in their late teens or early twenties to know what the fuck they want to do.

OP, changing your major is fucking common so don't stress out if you wind up doing that.

College isn't that much different than high school really, only now you've more responsibility than before. I know my last year I wound up getting a laptop for taking notes, and that turned out to be one hellova boon because my handwriting is garbage adn I can type stupidly fast.

Grab your text books as early as you can so you're not sitting there the first day waiting in line like most people. it's a shit line to be in and you get fucked in the ass at the end of it.

OH! Depending on the classes you take, check to see if the textbooks you need are online. Torrent em if you can. Fuckers are expensive and not usually worth their price. I wound up downloading half of my textbooks in my last semester and saving like 150 bucks...but I was an English major so most of those were books in the public domain :p

Yeah, I'll torrent what I can and buy the rest used or something. I'm not too worried about the work, either, I've had plenty to deal with in high school with all the AP classes I stupidly chose.

I don't know nothing about no tablets. I'll get one some day.

I don't know much about frats. As someone on the outside I see a generally negative perception. But I've also heard stories about how the right frat can open doors later on in careers. I'd do some research, some frats' negative reputations far exceed them.

If I had any real advice, balancing time and developing strong personal discipline is key, don't let schoolwork keep you from getting out and socializing but also be prepared to say no to 'distractions.' First midterms and finals are pretty stressful, especially on a full time schedule so take break, seriously.

(I didn't think anyone noticed, lol. Short story: worked a second (part time) job, became involved in a loving relationship, and started exercising twice as much in the event I'm selected to take the PAT's for firefighter.)

Yeah, if I'm going to look into a fraternity, it'll probably be one related to my major instead of one filled with huge party bros.

I'm not gonna lie, time management hasn't been a strength of mine in the past, but I'm hoping I can learn to improve all that.

(Oh, well that's good to hear! FAF really does impede progress, huh?)

Xipoid

Cameras

Thanks in advance c:

1. Don't fuck up your GPA.
2. The name of your school means more than your GPA, especially after your first job.
3. GPAs only matter for your first career position and grad school.
4. Your first career position is just a stepping stone. Make sure you step in the right direction.
5. Networking will land you a job well before an impressive GPA and list of school projects will.
6. Don't settle for the company you interned with.
7. Don't bullshit your resume.
8. Don't skip class.
9. Practice for interviews.
10. Don't waste time, especially not online.
11. If you have a dream, chase it.
12. If you see an opportunity, jump.
13. Employers will look at your social network pages. They will use it to evaluate you.
14. Always negotiate for more money.
15. If it isn't in writing, it didn't happen.
16. Times change; people die, but a brief moment of stupidity can haunt you for the rest of your life. Now is not the time to be irreverent.

Oh, and have fun.