• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I'd like some advice on making an nb character

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice. I know there's a lot of enby people on here so I felt this was one of the best places to ask this, even though the character in question isn't a furry character.

So, I'm a cis-person, but have been wanting to start making non-cis OCs for a while now, but, due to being cis, was terrified of screwing something up since I haven't experienced trans-related stuff first-hand and avoided doing so for a long time. There's a specific character I've had for a while I just labeled as "male" despite never really seeing them as such because I was scared I'd portray it wrong. But, today, I finally had the courage to revamp their page (save for their design, which I intend to revamp as well) and I've revamped them into a non-binary character.

They're not a character with a history or story attached really, they're just a character with a personality and basic bio and all that. I've done some research on Google about how to write enby/trans characters and I think I might have done it right? Mind you, their character doesn't revolve around their identity at all, mostly since they used to be a cis character, and I tried to make them a character that is non-binary, rather than a "non-binary character™".

That said, I just want to make absolute sure I didn't mess up, and so I'd like to list their page here; it's a pretty quick read, again, it's just their personality, appearance and all that jazz. If someone could do a quick look through and tell me if I need to fix something, I'd really appreciate it! I really want to do this right.

Marris on Toyhouse

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts
Wait, is there some kind of LGBTQ+ death squad you have to be afraid of if you DO offend someone somehow? Have the Republicans been telling the truth all along?
Please tell me, I might be in deep poo already and want to know before they get me.

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts
Nobody expects the inquisition.
I thought it was just right-wing propaganda. This news forces me to reconsider my views and put faith into our Lord and Saviour, Donald.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
@Tendo64

To actually address your question, lots of people who don't openly identify as trans or non binary have characters that are gender ambiguous or a different gender to their own.
Some of them are people who might be question if they are trans, and just needing the space to explore that.

So yeah, I don't think anybody can justifiably be mean to you for having a non-binary fursona, because it's all part of the explorative furry space isn't it? :]

I thought it was just right-wing propaganda. This news forces me to reconsider my views and put faith into our Lord and Saviour, Donald.

Donald is himself non binary. No bipolar disorder. He has the least disorders, but if he did they'd be the best. The best disorders, if he had disorders they'd be the most beautiful. Where am I? I forgot.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice. I know there's a lot of enby people on here so I felt this was one of the best places to ask this, even though the character in question isn't a furry character.

So, I'm a cis-person, but have been wanting to start making non-cis OCs for a while now, but, due to being cis, was terrified of screwing something up since I haven't experienced trans-related stuff first-hand and avoided doing so for a long time. There's a specific character I've had for a while I just labeled as "male" despite never really seeing them as such because I was scared I'd portray it wrong. But, today, I finally had the courage to revamp their page (save for their design, which I intend to revamp as well) and I've revamped them into a non-binary character.

They're not a character with a history or story attached really, they're just a character with a personality and basic bio and all that. I've done some research on Google about how to write enby/trans characters and I think I might have done it right? Mind you, their character doesn't revolve around their identity at all, mostly since they used to be a cis character, and I tried to make them a character that is non-binary, rather than a "non-binary character™".

That said, I just want to make absolute sure I didn't mess up, and so I'd like to list their page here; it's a pretty quick read, again, it's just their personality, appearance and all that jazz. If someone could do a quick look through and tell me if I need to fix something, I'd really appreciate it! I really want to do this right.

Marris on Toyhouse
Hi. I'm a nimby person. I don't really think that there's any right or wrong way to be nb....

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
Hi. I'm a nimby person. I don't really think that there's any right or wrong way to be nb....
Of course there isn't, I know. It's not that I think there's specific rules to making enby characters, just that I'm worried I don't have a proper understanding of what I'm portraying.

rekcerW

NB? New Brunswick?

Anyways, from what I've gathered, the entire premise of gender identification is in regard to what one identifies as, so it's pretty hard to screw up. Your character can identify as anything outside of the norm, and that's that.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
Of course there isn't, I know. It's not that I think there's specific rules to making enby characters, just that I'm worried I don't have a proper understanding of what I'm portraying.
As I said, I don't think there's any right or wrong answer. If you're unsure, just show me what you're going for. :3

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
As I said, I don't think there's any right or wrong answer. If you're unsure, just show me what you're going for. :3
Show me, too! That way, you'll have two enby editors!
Well, their Toyhouse page in on the front post, but I'll link it here as well: Marris on Toyhouse
Since making this post, I think I have them more or less figured out as I've gotten a lot of advice elsewhere as well as here, but I'm still open to suggestions. As it stands, I know Marris is bigender, the two genders in question being male and, what I feel I can best describe as genderqueer (I've read that this can be an umbrella term as well as a singular identity, right? Unless I'm wrong.) This second gender in question is neither male nor female, that's what I can be certain of. Is that okay?

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
Well, their Toyhouse page in on the front post, but I'll link it here as well: Marris on Toyhouse
Since making this post, I think I have them more or less figured out as I've gotten a lot of advice elsewhere as well as here, but I'm still open to suggestions. As it stands, I know Marris is bigender, the two genders in question being male and, what I feel I can best describe as genderqueer (I've read that this can be an umbrella term as well as a singular identity, right? Unless I'm wrong.) This second gender in question is neither male nor female, that's what I can be certain of. Is that okay?
Your character looks about right.

Faexie

Rara for short :)
As far as I know, the right way to create a character that's part of a minority is to

1. Make sure that their minority status is not the only interesting thing about them (give them a personality, talents and ambitions that are unrelated to that, aka make them an actual person)

2. Take the time to learn about their minority group to get an idea of what it's like to be a part of it.

3. Avoid stereotypes and tropes related to their minority status.

IMO and from listening to a lot of black, lgbt and autistic people on the topic, if you respect all of that, you're golden

(Your character is adorable btw)

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
As far as I know, the right way to create a character that's part of a minority is to

1. Make sure that their minority status is not the only interesting thing about them (give them a personality, talents and ambitions that are unrelated to that, aka make them an actual person)

2. Take the time to learn about their minority group to get an idea of what it's like to be a part of it.

IMO and from listening to a lot of black, lgbt and autistic people on the topic, if you respect all of that, you're golden

It seems I've followed those. As someone who is LGBT in the sexuality department, just not the gender department, I do understand that someone's status as LGBT should never be the focal point of their character, so I already understood to make sure Marris continued to be their own person. As well, I've taken the time to research various gender identities and experiences from non-binary/trans people. My concern was just that I accidentally misunderstood something or accidentally had a stereotype sneak in without me realizing.

Oh, and thank you!

Z

ZeroVoidTime

Just to add on on to list also do not turn their non-binary into a running gag or into a joke.