• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

If it was available on other platforms?

Would you get rid of Windows if software was available for all other platforms?

• I would stay with Windows

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would get a MAC

• I would get a Linux

• I would get Amiga OS4

• I already have a non-Windows system

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

benanderson

Banned
Banned
Now here's a thought that poped in my head earlyer today (like... 30 mins ago!... :lol: ) the vast majority of the computer users in the world use windows based PCs simply for the amount of software available... not for the user friendly environment (because I think it isn't) for the stability (because I think it isn't) and for the overall performance (windows uses almost twice as much RAM and processor power to run than other systems)...

So... the question here class is...

If the software only available for windows PCs suddenly became available on all other platforms (MAC, Linux, OS4), would you say goodbye to windows and buy another computer platform? Or would you stay with Windows? I would dump windows in a heart beat! Ever since I stopped using Amiga and went to Windows... nothing but torture! I want my A3000 back... ;_;

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Your friendly neighbourhood Gentoo Linux user here, nice to meet you.
Yeah, an interesting question BTW...

benanderson

Banned
Banned
InvaderPichu said:
I'd stay with Windows. It's not like I would have much of a choice anyway. Mac computers suck donkey balls and I'm not a computer genius so Linux/Unix/Etc is out of the question, too.

MACs have intel chips now... so you never know... they might get better...

Silver R. Wolfe

Wuffamute Extraordinaire!
I'll probably nab a Ubuntu Linux OS when I reformat my HDD next. I really haven't liked Windows ever, it's a very unstable and resource hogging OS. OSX for macs isn't much better either.

benanderson

Banned
Banned
silverwolfe said:
I'll probably nab a Ubuntu Linux OS when I reformat my HDD next. I really haven't liked Windows ever, it's a very unstable and resource hogging OS. OSX for macs isn't much better either.

What about Amiga? That has always been good in the past... OS4 is supposed to be awsome when it's released either this year or next...

vashdragon

You should have an option for like "I dunno the difference really." One of the main reasons i liked macs was because they appeared to me to be more art based. But if all the Systems have the same software then that wouldnt matter.

This is more of a question of which one do you think runs faster and is more stable. And frankly i dunno the answer to that one.

Vgm22

Furry/Scalie Of Mystery
I'm going to stick with windows, because that's all I've used through my life.

Myr

Big Dragon
I have Windows right now and have gotten used to XP Pro and all it's little quirks. I hate how it bitches when I make a system change or freaks out when I edit the registry. All these special services to make it work better (system restore and indexing service to name two) cause nothing but problems, memory hoarding, and system lag. It's got too much fat in the form of all these services that really don't need to be running and it's sometimes got holes like swiss cheese. Having said that, it's the OS I'm most comfortable with. I don't even need virus scanners or spyware scanners. I normally personally detect these things on my own in the rare event they get on my system, and then delete them out myself. I tell friends I can edit the registry in Windows and have it not crash, and they act like that's impossible. This dragon gets very upset when his laptop starts up with more than 30 processes running or more than 132mb of ram in use. :p I hate it when Windows shoots itself or does things Microsoft thinks are good for me. However, to help prevent that I've disallowed nearly every method of Windows doing things without my permission. Someone can't even update this computer without me being around because Windows update won't work.

Mac...ugh, I close something and I have to go up to the stupid title bar to actually exit it. I can't exit things with one click, the keyboard shortcuts are weird, one button mouse?, and Macs do things automatically without my permission. That and I don't want all the frills of a fully interactive and jello-y interface and windows that do crazy things. Same goes for why I don't want to bother with Vista when it comes out. Mac's have a lot of style, but it's too much form over function. They need more function.

Linux...there's so many versions I'm so confused, and they all look rather ugly. However, I love the idea of customizing everything, although it would take me too much time to do all that. Still, confusing but welcome. This to me is the complete opposite of Mac. It's all function over form. Windows is the only happy medium right now, although I hate Big Brother...er Bill Gates trying to watch over what I'm doing with my computer.

So yes, Linux is welcome, but for now I'm comfortable on Windows XP. No Vista for me. 500mb of ram on startup? That would give me a heart attack. Dragons like me like the fat on themselves and not on the OS. >^.=.^< The more things an OS has, the more things to break.

As a user of the Holy Trinity of OS's (Mac OS 7-X, Windows 98-XP, and Linux) I can say that if all software became available for all platforms I would strip Linux from my Mac and dump my Windows box in a heart beat. To me, Windows is far too unstable, although XP is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessors, its still not quite there. And as much as I love Linux (really not at all, too many required console commands to do stuff) Mac OS X is Unix based as well and thus shares its stability. Although I really don't like how much power OS X takes to run... minimum system requirement: 512MB RAM, 700 MHz processor. Far too heavy a load to be truly efficient, luckily it idles really well when you are using other applications by practically quitting itself. But you know what they say: Touch Apple, get GUI.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Personally, if all the other OS had as much variety of software Windows did they'd start to run like shit, too.

Laik

Windows - Yay for useless stuff. Seriously, I never saw so much useless stuff running... I And especially since service pack 2 windows has been the deepest pack of dung that has ever been. Why would someone reprogram every single piece of base code to make it more secure but slower is out of my mind... The only explanation is that Bill Gates sold his soul to a new god: SECURITY.

Linux - Has so much to choose from, it's not that difficult to program and the commands are just plain, simple and well thought, unlike a certain closed OS i know (*purrrrwindowspurrrrrr*). Plus, it runs perfect and smoothly on my computer. (I only tried Fedora and Ubuntu on my computer so far. In school I have SuSE and Fedora)

Mac - My time is precious, I shall not discuss useless stuff in this post.

Amiga - It has it's own corner of fans, other than that I don't see why would anyone use it (although I'm quite eager to see OS4)

So, in the end, I recommend Linux. Preferably Ubuntu or Fedora.

Silver R. Wolfe

Laik said:
Windows - Yay for useless stuff. Seriously, I never saw so much useless stuff running... I And especially since service pack 2 windows has been the deepest pack of dung that has ever been. Why would someone reprogram every single piece of base code to make it more secure but slower is out of my mind... The only explanation is that Bill Gates sold his soul to a new god: SECURITY.

Linux - Has so much to choose from, it's not that difficult to program and the commands are just plain, simple and well thought, unlike a certain closed OS i know (*purrrrwindowspurrrrrr*). Plus, it runs perfect and smoothly on my computer. (I only tried Fedora and Ubuntu on my computer so far. In school I have SuSE and Fedora)

Mac - My time is precious, I shall not discuss useless stuff in this post.

Amiga - It has it's own corner of fans, other than that I don't see why would anyone use it (although I'm quite eager to see OS4)

So, in the end, I recommend Linux. Preferably Ubuntu or Fedora.

Thanks for your input, if I ever need help with Linux when I install it on my machine do you think I could run to for help? I'll probably be using Ubuntu.

Laik

silverwolfe said:
Thanks for your input, if I ever need help with Linux when I install it on my machine do you think I could run to for help? I'll probably be using Ubuntu.

:) Sure, I'll help in any way I can.

nikuramon

Well.... I hate windows. I Keep XP x64 pro and 2k server around for ease of legacy application support and because my users insist on using XP (so I need to stay familiar with it to fix their many screw-ups).
As for non-windows, I've used quite a few.
I'm actually quite happy with OSX tiger. There is a bit of a learning curve for windows users, but I find it pairs a nice GUI with a *nix core. FreeBSD is my favourite OS, and I've been using it for quite a while on my server. I didn't like solaris much, and ubuntu is ok. As for other flavours, I don't have much of an opinion.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
silverwolfe said:
No problem, just ask if you have any difficulties...

Mr Cullen

It would depend on the software I use anyways, and how much everything is. Since I rarely have problems with windows, I see no reason to change now thank jew very much.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Dragoneer said:
Personally, if all the other OS had as much variety of software Windows did they'd start to run like shit, too.
Snap.
But judging by current performance, give me a 2 button mouse and I'll be off to the Macs thank you.

kaze0fox

I'll say it simply like this.....

Me - Windows to Mac = More violient display of hatred for Mac computers than ECW

I won't get any more simple than that...

kaze0fox said:

Me - Windows to Mac = More violient display of hatred for Mac computers than ECW

Why with the Mac hating? It can't be hardware because they use the same hardware as all other computers (especially now that they are using x64 instead of PPC processors). If its the fruity GUI, there is a "Graphite" theme that is all blue-greys (I use that theme myself cuz I haven't finished my Deus Ex theme yet ^.^). If its the piece of shit one button mouse, ANY mouse works in ANY computer (well, USB anyways). I know that one for a fact, I took my multi-button mouse off my PC and put my mac mouse on it and used the multi-button mouse on my Mac until I got my WACOM tablet. If its a software issue, most games don't ever get ported to Mac, however almost all digital-art applications are better on the Mac OS. I don't know why, but as a regular user of Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows, I can say that Photoshop, Maya, After Effects, Premier, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, and whatever else I'm forgetting work better on the Mac OS. So why is it that people despise it so vehemently?

Silver R. Wolfe

Oznor said:
kaze0fox said:

Why with the Mac hating? It can't be hardware because they use the same hardware as all other computers (especially now that they are using x64 instead of PPC processors). If its the fruity GUI, there is a "Graphite" theme that is all blue-greys (I use that theme myself cuz I haven't finished my Deus Ex theme yet ^.^). If its the piece of shit one button mouse, ANY mouse works in ANY computer (well, USB anyways). I know that one for a fact, I took my multi-button mouse off my PC and put my mac mouse on it and used the multi-button mouse on my Mac until I got my WACOM tablet. If its a software issue, most games don't ever get ported to Mac, however almost all digital-art applications are better on the Mac OS. I don't know why, but as a regular user of Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows, I can say that Photoshop, Maya, After Effects, Premier, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, and whatever else I'm forgetting work better on the Mac OS. So why is it that people despise it so vehemently?

Alot of users had to deal with per-OSX while they were still in school and hated how none of their programs would transfer over correctly from their PCs to the school computers. On top of that, most were using an insufficient amount of RAM and having a whole district routed through one T1 line makes web browsing quite slow. Casual users don't realize this is not the computers fault and just go about player-hatin'. Plus now, you have the "anything but iPod crowd' who despise all Apple products just because they hoist that logo.

silverwolfe said:
Alot of users had to deal with per-OSX while they were still in school and hated how none of their programs would transfer over correctly from their PCs to the school computers. On top of that, most were using an insufficient amount of RAM and having a whole district routed through one T1 line makes web browsing quite slow. Casual users don't realize this is not the computers fault and just go about player-hatin'. Plus now, you have the "anything but iPod crowd' who despise all Apple products just because they hoist that logo.

Hrm... I remember the shit hole iMacs at my highschool, and I suppose had I not been raised using working Macs I too would have hated all things Apple because of them... I still cry when I think about using those little round hockey-puck things they tried to pass off as mice. Maybe its just a little too much to ask for people to not think of their school's computers when thinking about Macs. Would be like asking Vietnam vets to not think about "charlies" or their friends dying when you talk about jungles or asian things. Still, some people are just too closed minded when it comes to computers.

benanderson

Banned
Banned
Oznor said:
Hrm... I remember the shit hole iMacs at my highschool, and I suppose had I not been raised using working Macs I too would have hated all things Apple because of them... I still cry when I think about using those little round hockey-puck things they tried to pass off as mice. Maybe its just a little too much to ask for people to not think of their school's computers when thinking about Macs. Would be like asking Vietnam vets to not think about "charlies" or their friends dying when you talk about jungles or asian things. Still, some people are just too closed minded when it comes to computers.

I have MACs at my college... but only a handfull off them. I've used one before because it was the only computer in the design center hocked up to the A3 scanner. They are full tower cases that I think look so cool! And I don't see why everyone hates them... it seemed simple enough to use.