• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

If the internet died tommorow

whoadamn

What would become of the furry fandom?

Wolf Nanaki

Wolf Nanaki
We have other ways to communicating other than the internet.

Furries have been around much longer than you think.

whoadamn

goes without saying, the idea of animal/human hybrids is a pretty simple idea to come across, but there's also the issue of "back to basics"

example, what happens when the power goes out?

Qoph

omurr
I'd be more worried about other things. Furries would the last thing I'd think about. Well, not the last thing, but it would be pretty far down there.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Considering that for the internet to die, every router/link all over the world would have to cease to exist more or less simultaneously and disastrously, likely we'd be worried about things other than the furry fandom.

Since that misses the point entirely, I'd probably say that the furry fandom would further segregate itself into smaller physical communities and communicate by mail or other forms of communication amongst themselves and other furry communities.

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
Barack Obama would get impeached and Al Gore would take his place. Furries wouldn't stand for that shit.

Nightweaver

Massively retarded troll
What would become of the furry fandom?

Jim Groat, Mitch Beiro, Eric Schwartz and Steve Gallacci would fire up the sketchpad and reinvent furry fandom the way it was originally meant to be: as a way for old white men to get off to Warner Bros. cartoons. Wait not Gallacci, he'd be too busy attaching electrodes to Erma Felna and mailing fliers screaming "ALBEDO IS BACK!!! AT COMIC BOOK STORES NOW!!!"

This is only one of many computer models I've developed. They may not be 100% accurate. :cool:

Mass suicide obviously, thousands of basement dwellers hanging themselves with their own neckbeards, seeing as the alternative is actually going outside and interacting with real people :V .

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
OSHI- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vDClhnJjs

Wait not Gallacci, he'd be too busy attaching electrodes to Erma Felna and mailing fliers screaming "ALBEDO IS BACK!!! AT COMIC BOOK STORES NOW!!!"

A ship jumped in-system 22 hours ago. I've received a transmission from Captain Felna sent 21 hours ago warning that she has your exact coordinates. I got news from the observatory that a UFO was seen fired from the ship; there's talk about the object being a crowbar, but that can't be right.

Wait... Wait... Computer enhancement shows a message attached: "Commission THIS"? I'm not sure what that means, but it's coming in hot.

Zaaz

What's where now?
The impact on furry fandom would be the same as the impact on all other sectors. We'd just go back to clubs by mail, and more people would probably show up to conventions as it would be the only outlet for RP with our own kind.

-/_

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
I'd still go have my art-nights with CAThulu and still draw/write. Without e-mails, I'd just use the phone for friends, and the fandom itself would just find a new medium to tide itself over. The Internet has already done the most important thing, which is let us all know we're not alone in this stuff.

Besides, it would make my job SO much easier. :p

Dahguns

The nonsensical drama furry.
lets not worry about the fandom and think about.....oh idk like the stock market

Irreverent

Considering that for the internet to die, every router/link all over the world would have to cease to exist more or less simultaneously and disastrously, likely we'd be worried about things other than the furry fandom.

I actually spend a few weeks a year roll playing this and a dozen other scarier scenarios.....except that I get paid to do it. :cool: I also keep a few dozen CD's, DVD, flash disks and paper binders full of disaster recovery MOPs in a dozen different locations in case it actually does happen. And I get paid for that too. Sometimes, I don't sleep so well.

Since that misses the point entirely, I'd probably say that the furry fandom would further segregate itself into smaller physical communities and communicate by mail or other forms of communication amongst themselves and other furry communities.

We'd be left with highly localized and isolated communities of furries who's first order of business would be day to day survival.

Except that if senario A happens above, the mail and other forms of communication will be gone or disrupted to the point of uselessness. Voice would be down, mail can't flow without the postal services corporate network....gone too. Besides, how many of you know the exact physical co-ordinates of your closest furry friends? You should. You may have to find them, and eat them.

pheonix

back'n up back'n up
If the internet died tomorrow then I could start going out a little more then I do, this things a damn prison. lol

OT: More meets and conventions would pop up around me I'm sure, there's other ways of getting the word out about things. The internet just makes things easier, People fear hard work or something. lol

Off Topic: The internet wont die till humans do and even after, the interwebs is eternal.

haynari

Lots of texting between me and my furry friends and their friends and their friend's friends so i don't think that anything to horrible could come of it.

Irreverent

Lots of texting between me and my furry friends and their friends and their friend's friends so i don't think that anything to horrible could come of it.

See, this is the problem. Wireline, wireless (cell), paging, sms, internet, terestrial and satilight TV all tend to run on common infrastructures, especially with carriers that have converted to an all IP core and transport network.

If it was just a "simple" virus/worm, bad route-injection or root-DNS attack, we might lose the "web" for a couple of days and keep everything else more or less running albeit degraded. Lose the core, lose it all.

We learned alot during the 2003 North American power black out, and a bunch more last November, when Pakistan munged the BGP routes trying to censure youtube.