• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

If you joined the military

Which branch would you join?

• Army

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Navy

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Air Force

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Marine Corps

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Bipolar Bear

Phallus Fellater
Errr....

Where is the 'None of the above, because I value my own life and have no strong personal ties to my own country due to it being run by a bunch of bickering man-children' option? ^_^;

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
Army, because I have a plan and a purpose that has to do with my family (grandfather=was WWII vet) but all family until me was unqualified. All women (twas the 80's) or was disabled. MS runs through my family in men but it didn't get me, so I can carry out the new-set tradition. I wanted to be in the Air-force before I even really knew what it was, but of course after I actually could only really do the Army, because:
*I don't have 20/20 uncorrected, so Marines are out.
*Air Force doesn't interest me, and isn't really for me.
*I can't do boats for extended periods of time because I don't like the isolation. So, Navy is out.

+I want officership and my airbourne tab. Ranger tab is nothing but fantasy right now.

...sorry for a bit of a life story, but it was a long explaination.
Being an officer means you put your future in the militarys hands and not your own, as they choose your MOS for you if you are an officer unless you are prior enlisted going green to gold and have previous experience or are the BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST, SIR! Then once you get in, you have to be CHOSEN for Airborne school, you don't just up and get to go. Ranger tab IS a fantasy for all but the most physical, dedicated elite soldiers, most of whom are proven in combat previously and hold the respect of their peers and superiors. I've been in the military, in a branch where going airborne and ranger was the favored route for us but STILL next to impossible. Everyone who wants to be a SF/SAS/AirborneLOLZ badass really ought to think about just how physical and mentally demanding that route is, especially if it's just for tab rights and swagger points. They will break you of that on the very first day in BASIC, much less Ranger School/Airborne school. If you really want it, start running 3 times a day for an hour. NOW. And keep doing it until you get there, whereupon they will tell you to RUN EVERYWHERE AND CARRY HEAVY THINGS WHILST DOING IT! Just a thought.

badlands

drunken pirate
damn near joined the RFA (civilian crewed noncombat branch of the royal navy) but decided against it.

I still wonder if i made the right choice.

Saga

absolutely disgusting
Being an officer means you put your future in the militarys hands and not your own
/// you have to be CHOSEN for Airborne school, you don't just up and get to go. Ranger tab IS a fantasy for all but the most physical, dedicated elite soldiers, most of whom are proven in combat previously and hold the respect of their peers and superiors. I've been in the military, in a branch where going airborne and ranger was the favored route for us but STILL next to impossible.
The formatting on the text below corresponds to the text above, so bold is answer to bold and underline an answer to the underlined.

I did not know that. They don't let you choose your own MOS as an officer?
+They control your life even after your active service is done and your reserve time is over? (the 8 years)

It's not my main priority at all, really. I know that it is extremely hard to earn those tabs, and I doubt i'll get em. But hey, everyone needs a dream they can never achieve, right? For motivation? :V

Symlus

Sophisticated Snake
None. I would probably go insane before actually doing anything productive, like the fat guy in Full Metal Jacket.

Azure

The formatting on the text below corresponds to the text above, so bold is answer to bold and underline an answer to the underlined.

I did not know that. They don't let you choose your own MOS as an officer?
+They control your life even after your active service is done and your reserve time is over? (the 8 years)

It's not my main priority at all, really. I know that it is extremely hard to earn those tabs, and I doubt i'll get em. But hey, everyone needs a dream they can never achieve, right? For motivation? :V
I'm not telling you not to pursue it, I just though I'd share my experience with you. With ROTC, you may have a better chance of being placed where you wish, but the military in general chooses where it places an officer. If I were you I wouldn't bother with ROTC, especially if you want to go airborne or ranger. Do the enlisted thing after you get your degree, and go green to gold, and THEN you can choose what you want to do because you'll have already been in, and if you perform as a soldier and your squad leader, SNCO, 1SG, and Company Commander see potential in you they will be your guide to glorious badassery. And I'd still suggest the running A LOT thing. It's good for you anyway, and to get coveted slots you'll have to have an outrageous PT score of 300+ or more. And volunteer for every bullshit thing that comes your way. And stick your tongue deep up your chain of commands ass. Tru faxx.

Besides, officers are paper pushers and scapegoats universally, who would want to be them? They have RESPONSIBILITY!

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Navy. Did 8 1/2 years, and didn't want to make it a career.

By the way, Navy stands for "Never Again Volunteer Yourself." (Don't worry. If you don't volunteer, then you'll get volunteered or voluntold anyway.)

Saga

absolutely disgusting
I'm not telling you not to pursue it, I just though I'd share my experience with you. With ROTC, you may have a better chance of being placed where you wish, but the military in general chooses where it places an officer. If I were you I wouldn't bother with ROTC, especially if you want to go airborne or ranger. Do the enlisted thing after you get your degree, and go green to gold, and THEN you can choose what you want to do because you'll have already been in, and if you perform as a soldier and your squad leader, SNCO, 1SG, and Company Commander see potential in you they will be your guide to glorious badassery. And I'd still suggest the running A LOT thing. It's good for you anyway, and to get coveted slots you'll have to have an outrageous PT score of 300+ or more. And volunteer for every bullshit thing that comes your way. And stick your tongue deep up your chain of commands ass. Tru faxx.

Besides, officers are paper pushers and scapegoats universally, who would want to be them? They have RESPONSIBILITY!
Delightful.
-----------------
The "r" word D:

kandren

i would want to be in the air force, but i dont think i could get in with my eyes being horrible.

S

Saylor

OP, you forgot several branches including the Coast Guard, National Guard, and then a few others that I feel don't need to be mentioned.

Regardless, of the few you listed, I feel like Air Force would be the best choice for me. I wouldn't be able to qualify for any fighter jet pilot stuff due to my eyesight, but I would be able to do mechanical work and I know a bunch about jet engines and what not.

Venu.Shade

I am the Night
My grandpa was in the Army, Uncle was in the airforce and my brother was in the marines.. mom wanted to join the nat. guard but they wouldnt let her cause she was a bit overweight.

but id join the airforce personally. i Love planes and the thought of flying, not that id be able to XD plus a vast majority of the jobs are non-combat (feel free to call me a pussy for that) but being a woman i wouldnt be allowed on the front lines anyway :/

rapid 99

Chose the Navy. I'm British but that's the branch here I would prefer to join.

I find naval combat fascinating (From a historical point of view) and would love to work and live on something as grand as an aircraft carrier etc. However I don't think all the training etc is for me. I'll stick with having a boring land job!

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather
Chose the Navy. I'm British but that's the branch here I would prefer to join.

I find naval combat fascinating (From a historical point of view) and would love to work and live on something as grand as an aircraft carrier etc. However I don't think all the training etc is for me. I'll stick with having a boring land job!
You guys only have one and a half aircraft carriers.

Azure

Also, everyone who wants to fly planes in the Air Farce, you have to be an officer first. Most of you will be stuck on the ground, fiddling with engines or pumping gas. Sorry to dash your dreams, but if you want to fly a fighter plane, you'd better be from the Air Force Academy. Which is impossible to get into. And you can't be too tall. Or too fat. Or have anything wrong with your eyes. And you need a letter of sponsorship from the governor of your state. And a million other things furries will never obtain without MAXIMUM EFFORT and a bit of luck too.

Inciatus

Also, everyone who wants to fly planes in the Air Farce, you have to be an officer first. Most of you will be stuck on the ground, fiddling with engines or pumping gas. Sorry to dash your dreams, but if you want to fly a fighter plane, you'd better be from the Air Force Academy. Which is impossible to get into. And you can't be too tall. Or too fat. Or have anything wrong with your eyes. And you need a letter of sponsorship from the governor of your state. And a million other things furries will never obtain without MAXIMUM EFFORT and a bit of luck too.
People who go to the Air Force Academy often wind up flying helicopters rather than planes. Also depending on what you want to fly it isn't that hard. Slots for fighters and bombers are quite hard to get, but slots for cargo planes are much easier to get.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!

sold
plane mechanic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pilot

Avlenna

Shadow of the Night
The Presidents Own--Marine Corps Band. I'd also love to join the Marines because, out of all of the branches, I sense a bigger sense of pride emulating from them than any other branch. Plus, I have a long list of family members who served in various branches of the military (grandma and grandpa-Army, dad-Navy, mom-Marines), so I'd love to carry out the tradition (such a short tradition).

Azure

People who go to the Air Force Academy often wind up flying helicopters rather than planes. Also depending on what you want to fly it isn't that hard. Slots for fighters and bombers are quite hard to get, but slots for cargo planes are much easier to get.
Yeah but nobody dreams about flying cargo. I am addressing a common misconception. Also most of the people who fly helicopters are Warrant Officers for either the Navy or Army, the Air Force is for planes by and large. How do I know? I was there mannnnnn :v

Inciatus

Yeah but nobody dreams about flying cargo. I am addressing a common misconception. Also most of the people who fly helicopters are Warrant Officers for either the Navy or Army, the Air Force is for planes by and large. How do I know? I was there mannnnnn :v
Actually I know someone who dreams of flying cargo planes. There are a helicopters and thus helicopter pilots in the Air Force too even if they are mostly planes (I can't find the statistics right now as to what they have).

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
Coast Guard or Army. Only two options.

Zydrate Junkie

Name and rank soldier!
You guys only have one and a half aircraft carriers.
Not to mention the fact that we don't have any planes to put on the aircraft carrier, the only good thing we had was the harrier and now it's been pulled out of service.

Inciatus