• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

If you were an anthropomorph do you think you would become human?

Day Coydog

Cute, Pink Eyesore
I came across a thread that asked if you would press a button that would turn you and those around you into a furry. I thought that it was an interesting concept, but I want to make it more interesting by reversing it. So here is the question:

In another universe where everyone is an anthropomorph and some people have an interest in human art do you think that your opposite self would want to become human AND what differences would there be in the world that would accommodate the need of anthropomorphs over their fictional human counterparts. Ie. deodorants (some animals have very few sweat glands).

DISCUSS!

Bakayote

Probably not. Humans suck!

Nah, just kidding... In all seriousness, I have no idea. Life would be different is all I can say.

Last edited:

Percy

o-o
That's an awkward question to ask, being that we're already humans and already know what it's like being human. We don't exactly know what being an anthropomorph is like, so it's a hard question to answer.

And of course, we don't know how humans would be like; whether they'd be the same as we are now or different due to the existence of anthropomorphic creatures.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Naw, id rather be an anthro, 100%.
I'd have to hide though, don't want the gummint finding me and performing a vivisection on me or something.

burakki

An interesting question indeed.... Why would my anthro self have the desire to become human though? Pure fascination? Just to experience it? One needs to take into account what you're giving up for what you're getting:

-Many fursonas(like mine) have tails. Why would you wanna give that up? WHY!? There are no advantages here.

- Fur --> The advantage is that you're not forced to extensively wash all your fur on your whole body. And hey, you won't go broke by buying endless bottles of shampoo! On the bad side, you won't have all that awesome fur.

- Since our opposite selves have animalistic parts to them, wouldn't they have have hightened aspects in terms of senses/physical abilities? Human on the other hand have what?

I'm unable to think of anything else right now, so i'll just edit it if anything else springs up in my mind.

helloworld

0111 0110
It sure is an interesting concept. It all comes down to the fact that anthro's may or may not have opposable thumbs to chat on this ....skinaffinity.net

Dreaming

Why would I wanna be a skinfag mundane? :v But, really, in a alternate world where you'd already have anthropomorphic and human attributes...

HipsterCoyote

50 Shades of Gay
Advantages of Not Having a Tail:
-> No need for worry in a room full of rocking chairs
-> No need to worry about whether your tail will fit through clothings' accommodation
-> Nobody can yank on your spinal cord so easily this time
Advantages of not having fur
-> Less heat stroke
-> Less constantly snaking the pipes because you shed like a beast
-> Less typhoid because you get lazy about washing your hands because you don't want to have to snake the pipes
-> Can now work in the food and medical industry without violating health codes
-> Better clothing options due to no more heat stroke

And re " Since our opposite selves have animalistic parts to them, wouldn't they have have hightened aspects in terms of senses/physical abilities? Human on the other hand have what?" I'm just going to let reasonably_plausible at Reddit say it for me:

We breathe a corrosive gas, drink one of the most potent solvents. Our preferred method of hunting was persistence hunting, where we chased animals until their body simply gave up and died. We can eat just about anything we find, which means we don't need to stop for food when chasing our prey.
If we can't find food, that's fine. Our body will simply begin to eat itself so we don't have to stop chasing our prey. We walk upright, we sweat, we don't have much body hair, which allows us to radiate away our body heat. This means that excessive time or extreme environment wont' stop our hunts.

If the animal fights back against us, we can take massive damage to our extremities and lose half our blood and still live.

Our entire existence is owed to persistence, endurance, and determination. When we put ourselves to a task, it gets done, period. And this instinct is still affecting us today.

332 BC: Alexander the Great hits a stalemate with the fortified island city of Tyre. Instead of going back defeated, he builds a kilometer long bridge in order to raze the city.

49BC: Cesar, after defeating the Gauls and invading Britain, turns a political fight into a civil war by invading Italy with only a single legion. He eventually becomes dictator starting a world superpower whose engineering feats are only recently being broken.

1804 AD: A charismatic French general declares himself Emperor and sets off to conquer much of mainland Europe. He is captured, exiled, and then escapes. The soldiers sent to recapture him instead lay down their arms and join him.

1961 AD: One man decides that we will go to the moon, despite much of the technology to do so not even existing yet. Just eight years later, two humans stand on the surface of the moon and look back upon the Earth.

200 years ago, we didn't have railroads. 100 years ago, we didn't have airplanes. 50 years ago, we didn't have spaceflight. 25 years ago, we didn't have the Internet. We've already inherited the Earth and soon we WILL inherit the stars and anyone or anything that stands in our way will be eliminated one way or another.

D:<

Percy

o-o
It sure is an interesting concept. It all comes down to the fact that anthro's may or may not have opposable thumbs to chat on this ....skinaffinity.net
Another good point. We don't know the exact anatomy of the anthro. Maybe they have thumbs, maybe not. Maybe they have a different mental capacity than humans do.

Though if they were intellectually and anatomically similar to humans, of course while having fur, a tail, animal-specific body parts, and animal-like senses it'd be nicer (and perhaps more beneficial) to be an anthro.

...wow, I'm putting more thought into this than I should be.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
The things my mate would do to me if I were anthro...
Fuck, the things I'd do to myself...lol

Wat

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Sometimes I say awful, awful things
@percy-you'd be 100% more awesome sauce.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
An interesting question indeed.... Why would my anthro self have the desire to become human though?
Improved senses (color-blindness is not human-only)? Longer lifespan (consider how a first-world human can live well into their 80's as an average)? Better endurance (Humans are, amongst all animals, some of the critters best suited for endurance)? Larger dick (fun fact: Proportionately humans are very well endowed)? Ability to sweat (which does wonders for regulating body heat)?

-Many fursonas(like mine) have tails. Why would you wanna give that up? WHY!? There are no advantages here.
There isn't much loss, either. Tails improve balance, yes, but by the same token if their tail is providing a significant bonus to their balance than them losing it in some fashion or another would not only 'reduce' them to human levels, but drop them significantly.

- Fur --> The advantage is that you're not forced to extensively wash all your fur on your whole body. And hey, you won't go broke by buying endless bottles of shampoo! On the bad side, you won't have all that awesome fur.
An advantage based on preference is hard to debate for or against, because it's based purely in preference. You even say yourself that there's convenience advantages but offer no tangible benefit for keeping fur (having a static fur coat is also a mixed blessing, often helping with one type of environment but making another nigh-unbearable).

- Since our opposite selves have animalistic parts to them, wouldn't they have have hightened aspects in terms of senses/physical abilities? Human on the other hand have what?
This is something I dislike about Furry, personally. Generally they rifle the pockets of both sides of the equation - Human and Animal - to steal the best from both, or sometimes even add something that neither had. Put another way, imagine if a Half-Orc in D&D got all the positive traits, bonus', and so-on for both Orc and Human races, with none of the penalties. It doesn't help that not only do they get physical superiority, but mental as well (See: Keep a perfectly human mind with no animalistic behavior imprints, unless of course it's some sort of Spiderman-esque Spider-sense).

To be fair, often times those inventions are a mix of chance. But overall, this post is good. There are a number of advantages the human body has over things in the wild, whether these advantages are static or only during certain times / with training (ex: The 70-some farmer who made a jaguar choke on its own tongue when it tried to jump him, the guy who fought off a Lion with a simple shield, spear and knife to defend his cattle, the father who snapped a grown buck's neck when it was rampaging in his daughter's room, etc). People often underestimate what the human body is capable of, pointing to random lazy first-worlder (note: I mean a first-worlder who's lazy, not all first-worlders are lazy) and going "Oh man, that must be the default and anything better's above nature's curve" when in actuality said person is below the curve. Hell, it hasn't been until the last few centuries that we made up for the decline in nutrition & health brought on by the agricultural revolution (Hunter-Gatherers were unlikely to reach adulthood, but if they did they tended to be damn healthy).

badlands

drunken pirate
if you where an anthro with wings would you want to give up the ability to fly? or any other adaptations that come with what ever form you were (night vision etc...)?

anyway to answer the OP, probably not

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
if you where an anthro with wings would you want to give up the ability to fly? or any other adaptations that come with what ever form you were (night vision etc...)?
If you had only another year left to your lifespan, and could get it doubled from what is normally possible, would you take it? Or if you were an athlete and wanted to be able to run long distances? Or to be able to see colors that neither you nor the rest of your family can see because they had the misfortune of having the wrong animal to be anthropomorphized?

That's something I don't think I could answer unless I really was one.

if you where an anthro with wings would you want to give up the ability to fly?

Chances are, if you had wings you wouldn't have hands.

I would like hands.

This is why I just try to ignore avian anthros. There's no possible way to make them look right.