• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

If you were getting no likes/faves on your art, would you still draw?

Would you keep going?

• Yes

Votes: 108 94.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
I don't get follows, faves, commissions nothing. however I don't draw for those reason. I draw because I enjoy drawing, as well as I like making characters. I just like trying to get my characters out in the world and seeing what I did well and what I don't. you know ^^

Yanachii

Perpetually Tired Potato
I would hope you draw because you enjoy it, not to please others or as some sort of popularity game.

I draw because it's fun; it lets me express myself and create something from nothing. While likes/favorites are appreciated, that's not why I draw and yes, I would most definitely continue to do so even if I never received feedback. Never let anyone else dictate your creativity--to hold that kind of power over you. As long as you enjoy what you do and find fun in creating, I should hope anyone would continue to pursue the creative arts.

Kopatropa

Drawing seriously since 2013
I would hope you draw because you enjoy it, not to please others or as some sort of popularity game.

I draw because it's fun; it lets me express myself and create something from nothing. While likes/favorites are appreciated, that's not why I draw and yes, I would most definitely continue to do so even if I never received feedback. Never let anyone else dictate your creativity--to hold that kind of power over you. As long as you enjoy what you do and find fun in creating, I should hope anyone would continue to pursue the creative arts.
Okay but how are we supposed to know if our art is good then? If it doesn't get a lot of attention, that says something about it, something bad. Not all of us have the confidence to self-validate.

pandasayori

Dreaming Hobbyist
Okay but how are we supposed to know if our art is good then? If it doesn't get a lot of attention, that says something about it, something bad. Not all of us have the confidence to self-validate.

Personally I think what dictates as "good art" is completely subjective. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to art. Not every artist gets high volumes of people looking at their art because there are so many creators now.

Kopatropa

I don't get follows, faves, commissions nothing. however I don't draw for those reason. I draw because I enjoy drawing, as well as I like making characters. I just like trying to get my characters out in the world and seeing what I did well and what I don't. you know ^^
So do I, but if you share and no one cares, what's the point? It means you suck and should just burn your art stuff. Also, are you implying follows and faves aren't supposed to be wanted? Is there a law?

Yanachii

Perpetually Tired Potato

Attention does not equal skill. And lack of attention does not mean you "suck".

Like Pandasayori said, art--whether it is good or "bad"--is entirely subjective. And honestly, it's best not to phrase art as being good versus bad. It's more a matter of where one is in the learning process--no one starts out "good". Art is a learned skill that grows the more time and effort one puts into it. If you're only drawing to please others, then I would consider perhaps re-evaluating why you draw in the first place. What is your motivator? Is it an outlet? Do you do it to have fun? And if you're going to be so critical of your work, what is the reason? Are you planning to make art your profession? Is it a life goal? Are you seeking ways to make it better? Or are you just doing it to garner popularity and are frustrated when you don't get that instant gratification and validation?

By all means, there's nothing wrong with self evaluation, but what a lot of beginning artists don't seem to realize is that the line needs to be drawn between critique, evaluating one's art, seeking out avenues of improvement, and putting one's self down and nearly completely relying on others to build up their self-esteem when it comes to their craft. I see this a lot across various mediums--art, writing, crafts, etc.

And trust me, every artist constantly questions their work. You might look at something and think it amazing, while the artist could look at it and see it for all the imperfections that exist in it and outright hate it. If you feel unhappy with your art question why--seek feedback on how/what to improve and look for tutorials or such on how to better your work and experiment with different techniques and mediums. But if all you ever do is rely on others only singing praise, on gathering numbers on a website, then that will only perpetuate the idea that you are nothing if these "qualifications" aren't met. It's also worth noting that in today's age, there are a multitude of factors as to why people may not receive instantaneous feedback: content is produced too fast for people to keep up with it all that content gets drowned out by other works, algorithms across various social medias hinder the spread-ability of original content, conflicting time-zones between an artist and their potential viewers, an artist may not produce content at a regular enough speed to promote view-ability, the list goes on.

Sometimes I struggle with where I view my own art, but at the end of the day, I persevere because it's what makes me happy and seeing how far I've come makes me excited to see where I could possibly go in the future; the possibility is exciting.

RogueNoodle

toe bean enthusiast
I relate a lot to what you said about not having the confidence to self-validate. I usually look to others to validate anything I create, but that can end up sucking the fun out of ANY hobby. You should learn to find ways to validate yourself. Maybe compare some of your old artwork to something you've done recently. Take note of your improvements. Practice appreciating your own creations. Practice giving yourself a break.

pandasayori

Dreaming Hobbyist
So do I, but if you share and no one cares, what's the point? It means you suck and should just burn your art stuff. Also, are you implying follows and faves aren't supposed to be wanted? Is there a law?

It doesn’t mean that you “suck”, and it doesn’t mean that follows / faves are unwanted. Saying that someone should burn their art is pretty extreme and only adds to discouragement. If getting faves is the ultimate driving factor behind a creation, there’s bound to be some deep disappointment ahead... Especially if you think, “Oh yeah, this is going to get X amount of likes for sure!!”, but get a low Y instead of a high X. That just damages creative morale and keeps people from creating.

What is your motivator? Is it an outlet? Do you do it to have fun? And if you're going to be so critical of your work, what is the reason? Are you planning to make art your profession? Is it a life goal? Are you seeking ways to make it better? Or are you just doing it to garner popularity and are frustrated when you don't get that instant gratification and validation?

All of these are greats things to ask! Understanding why you want to draw is one of the biggest driving forces behind creating. If professional artists have to go through phases where they have to re-establish why they create the art they want to create. Motivating yourself to create can be a struggle / frustrating, but likes and faves can only do so much to keep you going. It’s something I still struggle with, so I have to remind myself of my goals and aspirations to keep me going. Being a self-motivator takes time and a willingness to do so (in my opinion).

If you feel unhappy with your art question why--seek feedback on how/what to improve and look for tutorials or such on how to better your work and experiment with different techniques and mediums. But if all you ever do is rely on others only singing praise, on gathering numbers on a website, then that will only perpetuate the idea that you are nothing if these "qualifications" aren't met.

Feedback and critique can be hard to swallow, but they are very important for improvement. I think there might be a section on the forums where you can make a thread and get feedback from forum members? Art is always being posted on the main site, so it’s harder to keep track of what art requires feedback. A feedback request thread would be good getting ideas from various perspectives.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
I'm not an artist, though I understand the potential frustration that comes with little to no interaction/activity on someone's art.

IMO though I wouldn't give a shit if I were an artist. If I wanted to draw, I would draw because I liked it, not because I want recognition from people. It's about being happy with oneself and what you do. If people like what you do, all the better. If people don't like it, it doesn't matter. I don't validate myself through other people, and never will.

ArtVulpine

I hate to admit this, but I'm about to go down this road recently... I mainly draw a lot of OCs and even if I post up those works, they barely get any attention at all. It's gotten to the point that where I feel like to get even noticed at all, I have to draw fan art. The most unfortunate thing is, I can't at all since every time I try to it just... doesn't look like the character I'm trying to draw. Not to mention, I have to admit just thinking about how people will only flock to fanart and just ignore any original works I do is kind of making me hate fanart in particular due to that.

I just find it REALLY disheartening that you put hours and days into a piece and it either gets zero attention, or just a few likes. Not to mention, no comments at all. I kind of feel like that saying of 'Draw what you want' is starting to not be true, and it's 'draw what the AUDIENCE wants to see' is more the reality for people trying to draw and get noticed on the net. So yeah, for me when that I happens I get mad, and just starting thinking about maybe not posting on the net anymore, just draw for myself and go the traditional route of showing people art.

^^This is exactly how I feel sometimes. Granted I'm not an attention seeker/ popufur in the making, but lately I've been feeling that my OCs are tossed aside compared to fanart. I guess it makes sense as when someone posts an image of Krystal from Star Fox or Renamon from Digimon people will identify with it more than say Art Vulpine or Spellbound (my OCs). And yes, I have pondered simply not posting art anymore/ giving up on it entirely, but I'm not a quitter. I'll draw something amazing one day, and hopefully with it comes the interest.

Kopatropa

I'm not an artist, though I understand the potential frustration that comes with little to no interaction/activity on someone's art.

IMO though I wouldn't give a shit if I were an artist. If I wanted to draw, I would draw because I liked it, not because I want recognition from people. It's about being happy with oneself and what you do. If people like what you do, all the better. If people don't like it, it doesn't matter. I don't validate myself through other people, and never will.
Compared to more popular artists, I look like a beginner.

pandasayori

Dreaming Hobbyist
Every artist starts off as a beginner... Popular artists have spent years developing their craft, but every single one of them have started off as a beginner with little to no drawing experience. It's a veeeeery apples to oranges comparison. If you truly feel the need to compare yourself to others, maybe look at artists with similar art skills as your own?...

Yanachii

Perpetually Tired Potato
^^This is exactly how I feel sometimes. Granted I'm not an attention seeker/ popufur in the making, but lately I've been feeling that my OCs are tossed aside compared to fanart. I guess it makes sense as when someone posts an image of Krystal from Star Fox or Renamon from Digimon people will identify with it more than say Art Vulpine or Spellbound (my OCs). And yes, I have pondered simply not posting art anymore/ giving up on it entirely, but I'm not a quitter. I'll draw something amazing one day, and hopefully with it comes the interest.

The issue with fan art versus original content is that fan art will, 99.9% of the time, win out over original content. Especially so when someone's just starting out. A lot of people use the route of doing fan art to gain a following, and slowly shift their focus to producing original content from there. Or so I've noticed, anyway.

It does get to be a bit frustrating when a piece of fan work you make (and not even a particularly nice, finished piece at that) gets hundreds of likes/notes/what have you, while your original content struggles to even get to the double digits. But like you said, I'm no quitter either, and if I enjoy what I'm doing and creating, surely that'll be translated into what I'm making and someone, somewhere will reciprocate. Persistence is key!

Compared to more popular artists, I look like a beginner.

A very important thing to keep in mind when it comes to art is not to compare your work to others. Especially not people who have developed their skill farther than your own level at present. All you will walk away with by doing that is seeing your work as failure, as not being good enough; and that, in turn, will result in further self-depreciation and resentment of your own work. Pandasayori makes very valid and important points: If you want to compare art, compare your own work to itself--your present work to old work, as RogueNoodle stated--and you'll be able to see your growth for yourself!

And while feedback and critique can be difficult, do your best not to take it personal (hard, I know, especially when a lot of people don't seem to know how to give proper critique in the first place), it's a very important step in helping grow and improve. A feedback thread honestly sounds like a really nice idea! But if that's too intimidating, I would advise reaching out to a trusted friend (someone who won't simply say it's nice for the sake of not hurting your feelings, but also doesn't go about critique in a crass manner), or someone who you feel would be able to give you objective commentary on whatever it is you show them.

S

Steelite

At this point, I can't care less about getting likes or comments or whatever. I hardly get more than 3 likes per work and I don't really give a damn anymore. I post my works on art sites literally to get the image links, so I can show them elsewhere. The links can be pretty useful if you can't upload the files due to them being bigger than the allowed size (1 MB in FAF for example, haha).

Jokes aside, yes, I'd still draw. It gets super frustrating and annoying at times for me, but I'd still draw. If someone likes it, I'd be happy. If no-one likes it... eh, whatever.

Shadow of Bucephalus

Banned
Banned
What the title says.
When I was a child, I loved art. Drawing, water-colors, etch-a-sketch! (shush, I'm older'n dirt.)... Building models, dioramas. Sculpture...

This lasted in spite of being told over and over how I'm terrible, how it's all a waste of time/money (my allowance. It was mine, why the fuck would they care?), etc..

I finally threw-in the towel and stopped.

I regret doing that, every day of this life.

Pursue your interests! *FLIP-OFF* those who would give you shit because THEY don't like it!!!

I had to click 'No', for not continuing, 'cause it's the truth.

I hope most have more resilience and passion, and never cave-in.

Dongding

The sheep
Recently axed my gallery for creative reasons but it never got much traffic in the first place which always sort of bummed me out. It was never anyone's fault but my own for procrastinating and making my page uninteresting to follow. It catered to very niche interests to begin with as well, which didn't help.

I'm still going to continue to fill my page with the things I enjoy. The problem I have is I get tired of old stuff but I've recently discovered some things to be excited about so I hope it won't be a problem for me in the future. I think I'm starting to finally shape my page in a way that won't cause me any self-inflicted personal hangups.

:3

Fiorabeast

Always ill as hell
Recently actually stopped drawing now... I lost purpose in enjoying what I want to do, and the stress and thought of being required to draw people things to make them look at my works (ex. fanart) and stuff just hit the nail in the coffin for my motivation and self-confidence issues... Actually, it's permanent now. I've since quit drawing and I don't think any amount of things will make me comeback to it ever...

Dongding

The sheep
Recently actually stopped drawing now... I lost purpose in enjoying what I want to do, and the stress and thought of being required to draw people things to make them look at my works (ex. fanart) and stuff just hit the nail in the coffin for my motivation and self-confidence issues... Actually, it's permanent now. I've since quit drawing and I don't think any amount of things will make me comeback to it ever...
Your stuff is really great. I always mentally refer to that style as Bojack Horseman style, myself; not knowing what to call it. (Just sticking a feral animal head on a humanoid torso.)

I can't imagine you're done done. Someone with your skill just needs to find a way to enjoy it differently after a break. That's what happened to me. Maybe be more self indulgent and start seeking out projects that you know no one whats to see so it stopped you from attempting them before?

I'll stop shooting advice bullets at you now lol. Hope you feel better about things. Recognition often doesn't end up where it belongs.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Likes and faves are the empty calories of online social interaction. Sure, they offer instant gratification, but they don't have enough tangible substance behind them to really encourage your development as an artist or writer. Basic comments along the lines of "I like this" or "Thanks for fave" are no different.

Dongding

The sheep
Dey fele gudd :3

For real though, everyone craves validation and having a number represent it is comforting if not a little arbitrary due to a multitude of uncontrollable variables, when it's a larger number. Why share something when you feel no one wants to see it?

That's an insecure way of thinking and defeats the purpose of personal creative fulfillment through expressing yourself artistically, but everyone likes to be liked; it's human nature. I used to create exclusively for other people and it burnt me out badly because the enthusiasm wasn't returned almost whatsoever.

I work on myself these days.

pandasayori

Dreaming Hobbyist
Maybe be more self indulgent and start seeking out projects that you know no one whats to see so it stopped you from attempting them before?

I agree with this point! Passion projects and drawing the things you absolutely love to draw help out with motivation. Favorite types of characters, favorite color schemes, animals, building types, etc. Finding what you like (and not what others like) just might help re-spark creativity.

Dongding

The sheep
Honestly I always feel like a butthole when I try and give someone advice which nobody asked for. No one understands the situation better than Fiora. It's the same reason why people are their own worst critics: Only you know your limitations.

I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about outside of my own exact personal experiences.

Ahnik

Hobbyist Artist
I'd definitely keep drawing!
I kept my art mostly to myself for years before I recently started posting it online, and I certainly wasn't getting likes or faves then.

If I was getting absolutely no activity online (no followers, likes, faves, or comments), I might consider not uploading my art anymore (why bother if no one's watching, right?), but I would never stop drawing altogether.

That being said, I do value likes, faves, and especially comments on my art, because they let me know that people are enjoying it. Art is entertainment, so knowing that there's an audience for my work beyond just me is definitely a good feeling.

Lastly, I don't agree with the idea that likes and faves are meaningless. I understand the tendency to see them that way, since they seem to lack "content" when compared with something like a comment, but that doesn't make them insignificant. No one likes or faves every piece of art they come across, so when they do, they are (in however small a way) making a distinction to express their opinion.

TL;DR, I enjoy likes and faves, but I wouldn't stop drawing if they weren't there.