• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I'm bisexual, how do I explain to my parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikaraWolf

Hi, I just wanted to know if any of you had advice on how I could come out to my parents as bisexual. I've been keeping it (secret) for almost a year now and I feel as if it's time for them to know also. Thanks to anyone who gives me advice or is just motivating me to do so.

ChikaraWolf

I think it depends whether your parents mind about sexuality. Do you know what their opinions are, if they indeed hold any?
Both my parents are pretty open about gays and bisexuals. As I know of now, they don't have anything against either. I just don't know how they would react to it.

PastryOfApathy

You: Mom, dad I'm bisexual
Parents: Okay.

Done. You'd be surprised how little a lot parents care about this kinda thing, especially if they're like you say.

ChikaraWolf

You: Mom, dad I'm bisexual
Parents: Okay.

Done. You'd be surprised how little a lot parents care about this kinda thing, especially if they're like you say.
Really? I guess you could be right, as I do exaggerate things where it deals with my parents. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

fuzball18

Is it really important that you come out to them. I mean the way I did it was I just started going out with another girl and when she came round to meet them I just sort of explained I wasnt gay I just kinda liked both sexes. I tried not to make a big deal of it until it was an issue that needed to come up. Unless your parents are harassing you about your sexuality or you feel uncomfortable not telling them I just wouldn't.

ChikaraWolf

Is it really important that you come out to them. I mean the way I did it was I just started going out with another girl and when she came round to meet them I just sort of explained I wasnt gay I just kinda liked both sexes. I tried not to make a big deal of it until it was an issue that needed to come up. Unless your parents are harassing you about your sexuality or you feel uncomfortable not telling them I just wouldn't.
Yeah that could be an option, but I feel like it would make it more awkward if I just started going out with a guy and then them meeting him without knowing ahead of time. Then again the feelings would be mutual and they would probably just start not to care after a while. Thanks Fuz, I'll probably just deal with it the way you explained (as it happens).

fuzball18

Yeah that could be an option, but I feel like it would make it more awkward if I just started going out with a guy and then them meeting him without knowing ahead of time. Then again the feelings would be mutual and they would probably just start not to care after a while. Thanks Fuz, I'll probably just deal with it the way you explained (as it happens).

I really hope things work out for you :)

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Here is a different way to approach this: Why do they have to know? What makes this such a big deal, especially since you know that they are pretty open about bis and homos?
My parents found out about it when I just told my mom that I had a boyfriend.
It just wasn't a big deal. So why make a big deal out of it?

MeteuMachque

My advice would be not to make a big deal about telling them. Don't go the whole "Mom, Dad, I have something I need to tell you, and its really really important" route. That just tends to make the conversation automatically more tense, and can potentially make reactions more likely.

Let it come up naturally in conversation. If you're talking about a related topic with your folks (like say maybe about a guy you find attractive), bring it up. If you think your folks are generally cool with gay and bi individuals, there probably won't be much explaining to do. Maybe a few follow up questions, but I bet that would be about it.

Hooky

Was hermiting.
Only bring it up when the conversation demands it (i.e. when you are discussing orientation). That way, it will seem more natural and less of a deal. Just tell them that, for you, the gender of the person is not a significant factor in liking them.

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
There's already a thread stickied for this topic. In the very same subforum, even.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Show your parents this video.

[yt]-tLXRYPODxI[/yt]

or just wait until you move out if you are underage.

Also, use the "this button".

NekoXboy

ok, so i'm gay, and i i'm going to give you my honest opinion.

first it depends your situation. i'm 16, and my parents are rather conservative, so coming out probably isn't the best idea at this moment in time. however, if you are older, or you know your parents won't overreact to horribly, then the situation is a bit more in your favor, but it's really up to you whether or not you come out yet. the biggest thing is knowing if you're ready. if you know that you are ready, then by all means go ahead, but don't let people pressure you into doing anything that you aren't comfortable with.

you will know when you are ready, just do what you think is best, and good luck ^_^

i haven't really come out to my parents, but most other people know, so if you want any advice for coming out to friends, or just to talk about stuff in general, feel free to PM me :)

ta1ls84

If you're still living at home I'd say it would be highly situational. Telling conservative parents something like that can end up being pretty problematic in terms of continued housing and general household politeness. However, if your parents are old hippys (or something similar) they may not care or even be pretty supportive. My parents didn't make a particularly big deal of it back in the day when I told them I swung both ways (but I've come to realize that I lucked out in many respects).

Mind you, if you're out of the house I'd say stay deadpan and just tell them the truth if the subject comes up. What's the worst they can do? If they really trip, just act confused at whatever it is their issue is. I think being called out on immaturity makes many parents feel pretty dumb when they later stop and think about it. And in general, I think such a thing being a discussion between family helps a lot of prejudiced people eventually get over it.
Anyway, good luck. People you care about not knowing can be nerve wracking but one way or another you'll feel better getting it off your chest.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
i kind of want to make a giant rainbow cake that says "i'm gay" in icing. my parents will get pissed regardless, so i might as well make it hilarious (and delicious).
The power of cake, especially gay flavored.

Spatel

tell them you like chicks and dicks

if they can't wrap their heads around that then... i don't have any deep philosophical insights or witty comebacks sorry. also, go to the giant thread that these questions are all supposed to go in instead of making a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.