• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I'm calling a sidebar about the Sidebar.

squiddysquiddysquiddy

Lv. 3 Rage Squid
(Okay you guys, we need to come up with something to get the owner to move the side bar out of the side of the art. Even Facebook is smart enough to at least CENTER art on the page when throwing comments to the side, and since the sidebar SCALES when the image is exapnded, we know they're trying to please the dark masters with the move intentionally. So we either put-)

*goes hush as he faintly hears a rustling nearby*

*it's just a leaf, and cautiously continues*

(So either we put our foot down and demand the emoval of the sidebar, or we try to at least negotiate a centering of the artwork, as The Dark Ones want the advertisement in view at all times, no matter what size the art takes. Discuss your plans here, but keep quiet.)

Kajet

Hey, they gotta shove their dick in your face somehow, why else would they buy FA?

That being said, I urge everyone to get adblock because fuck that shit.

PheagleAdler

They should just remove it entirely, having all that space for the submission was great. The ability to have it fit into your browser window (resizing depending on how wide the window is) was greater. Taking away a lot of that space is a bad idea. Wide submissions get screwed.

squiddysquiddysquiddy

Lv. 3 Rage Squid
(KEEP YOUR VOICE DOWN. It's not just adblock, the image is set to align to the left side of the page. No matter what, the images will ALWAYS be annoyingly askew unless wide enough to fill the entire screen.)

SirRob

It didn't bother me before, but now that you mention it...

I know deviantART does this thing where it pushes the sidebar down when you full view an image. Seems like it'd be a simple thing to incorporate.

squiddysquiddysquiddy

Lv. 3 Rage Squid
(Right? I know the patch just dropped but come on. There are better ways to do this, the best way bring to NOT do this of course.

Nice troll icon btw.)

TheArchiver

Ace Documenter
Taking away a lot of that space is a bad idea. Wide submissions get screwed.

I never even considered this, you're right. There are some users who enjoy doing wide comic strip pages as well. I hope it doesn't hurt dialogue too much...
Unfortunately, this is not going away.

(Stop doing this)

Is that really a major concern that you have to make a pointless post for that? His points are legible.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
The sidebar is not likely to be going anywhere because that is where advertising is going to go. Submissions will resize in order to display these ads if the browser window can't display it all at once. This is most likely not going to be negotiable. See my comments in this thread. There additionally will be an ad in the extra space at the top of the page, beneath the header. This layout is strikingly similar to the layout used by IMVU:

FA UI beta for comparison:

L

LizardKing

You know what's really great? Even with adblock, the massive space remains.

>meet the requirements we've been given

Good to see this "oh no they just want to give us money and nothing in exchange" charade is falling apart. You want the ads gone? The sidebar removed? Complain to the people who own FA now; everyone else is just a lackey.

Kajet

Well we should focus on what really matters here, Neer is still 100% in charge of FA

yes I am being sarcastic.

You know what's really great? Even with adblock, the massive space remains.

>meet the requirements we've been given

Good to see this "oh no they just want to give us money and nothing in exchange" charade is falling apart. You want the ads gone? The sidebar removed? Complain to the people who own FA now; everyone else is just a lackey.

^ this post deleted without warning in 3... 2... 1..

Runefox

Twitch

Welp; while writing a userscript to fix the sidebar, I stumbled upon div id="ad-extra-square" in the sidebar, right where you'd expect an ad to be placed. It's only a matter of time. In a bit, I'll publish the userscript that should move the sidebar somewhere more sensible.

Runefox

Welp; while writing a userscript to fix the sidebar, I stumbled upon div id="ad-extra-square" in the sidebar, right where you'd expect an ad to be placed. It's only a matter of time. In a bit, I'll publish the userscript that should move the sidebar somewhere more sensible.

Yeah, I caught that a while ago. I was holding off on mentioning it for if anyone tried to claim that it wasn't an ad space. But that's the whole reason why the sidebar exists.

Roxxas

The Demonslayer
ahem....

HEEEEY YOOOUUUU MOOOOODS!

remove the dam sidebar.
this is an art side not an ad site.

Victor-933

Professional Retard

Accountability

Enthusiastic Downloader
This was announced a while ago...

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/6592316/ said:
4) What does IMVU get out of this?
They get to use our site for advertising from their third-party partners who are interested in engaged users like ours who share a common interest - art.

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/6606934/ said:
A LOT of users seemed concerned that the ads coming will be trying to auto-install spyware/malware

The ads being delivered come from a top advertising provider for websites (Google ad network) and are screened thoroughly as part of their review process to ensure no spyware/malware is included.

Ladies and gentlemen, ads relevant to the site's "common interest" and certainly don't contain malware:

Well golly gee, look at the reputation for that site!

also https://twitter.com/arielmtspeaks/status/592481216739180544/photo/1

Last edited:

TheArchiver

Ace Documenter
Christ help those that depend on this site. And that tool, Strype, said Piche has the community's best interests in mind.