• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
So as part of my general New Year's Resolution of becoming a famous literary critic who will be the furry tastemaker writing more, I'm doing a Let's Read series here on the forum. I'll be reviewing novels, novellas, short stories, graphic novels, comic strips, and webcomics. It will mainly focus on anthropomorphic fiction, but I'm open to reviewing any work by forum user whether it has anthropomorphic characters or not. Just be aware that I'm commenting on positive and negative aspects of the works. Also be aware that I'm moonlighting as a critic, so pardon my lack of professionalism.

I plan on starting with Forests of the Night by S. Andrew Swann, which I'll comment on chapter by chapter. Interested parties can comment if they want.

Anyway, you can recommend works for review down below. Help me on my way to making that Reading Rainbow money exploring anthropomorphic fiction. Have at it.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.

Cannabiskitty

To Kill the Child; to Set the Adult Free
I have not, and as a result I think it will be a perfect addition to list. What medium is it in?

Gyo is a serialized horror manga by the master of horror Junji Ito and definitely falls under the term "anthropomorphic" but now it can be found in graphic novel form and that is the way to read it imo from start to finish in as few sittings as possible. Be warned though. It is stupid. It doesn't make sense. And it's actually really really funny.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
Hmm.. Do you read Manga? If so, I have a rather interesting recommendation for you:

cover.jpg

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, or The Rising of the Shield Hero.
www.mangahere.cc: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

Synopsis: Naofumi Iwatani, an uncharismatic Otaku who spends his days on games and manga, suddenly finds himself summoned to a parallel universe! He discovers he is one of four heroes equipped with legendary weapons and tasked with saving the world from its prophesied destruction. As the Shield Hero, the weakest of the heroes, all is not as it seems. Naofumi is soon alone, penniless, and betrayed. With no one to turn to, and nowhere to run, he is left with only his shield. Now, Naofumi must rise to become the legendary Shield Hero and save the world!

Cannabiskitty

That sort of just makes me wish there was a Shovel Night manga.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Gyo is a serialized horror manga by the master of horror Junji Ito and definitely falls under the term "anthropomorphic" but now it can be found in graphic novel form and that is the way to read it imo from start to finish in as few sittings as possible. Be warned though. It is stupid. It doesn't make sense. And it's actually really really funny.
I like weird graphic novels and comics. They're usually the better ones.
Hmm.. Do you read Manga? If so, I have a rather interesting recommendation for you:

cover.jpg

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, or The Rising of the Shield Hero.
www.mangahere.cc: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

Synopsis: Naofumi Iwatani, an uncharismatic Otaku who spends his days on games and manga, suddenly finds himself summoned to a parallel universe! He discovers he is one of four heroes equipped with legendary weapons and tasked with saving the world from its prophesied destruction. As the Shield Hero, the weakest of the heroes, all is not as it seems. Naofumi is soon alone, penniless, and betrayed. With no one to turn to, and nowhere to run, he is left with only his shield. Now, Naofumi must rise to become the legendary Shield Hero and save the world!
Alright, I will add this to the list since I don't read too much manga. I finished OPUS not too long ago.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
Alright, I will add this to the list since I don't read too much manga. I finished OPUS not too long ago.
Okay, cool! :D

Not everyone likes Manga and that's perfectly understandable, considering some of them are drowning in cliché's and some have deep cultural references a LOT of foreigners don't know about let alone understand. Hell, sometimes it's just the different art style.

In terms of webcomics.. Well, there's Faux Pas.
www.ozfoxes.com: Fox Comics: Faux Pas

Very often only have 3 windows while telling its story, but generally updates 3 times a week(Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays). And have been an ongoing one for many years.

Then we have Bear Nuts.
bearnutscomic.com: Bear Nuts by Alison Acton » Archive » Page 01

Interesting art style, story, and characters. Have a couple of twists here and there, which is rather fun to read.

And finally Las Lindas, drawn by chalodillo.
laslindas.katbox.net: Las Lindas

It's about a cow who owns a farm, and the chaotic life going on there.

Le Chat Nécro

most thugged-out dope hoe

Cannabiskitty

A web comic would be nearly impossible to do a review of without spending countless hours going through every panel. I'm just saying that a web comic would probably not be the best thing to do a review of right off the bat, especially without knowing in advance how you are going to conduct your review. A better way to start would be to pick a medium that is serialized and focus on each individual issue as it's own subject of review or choose something that is issued in individual volumes. Vol. 1, Vol. 2, etc. Or just pick a light novel and go with that. Of course you could review a web comic. It would just be very tedious.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
A web comic would be nearly impossible to do a review of without spending countless hours going through every panel. I'm just saying that a web comic would probably not be the best thing to do a review of right off the bat, especially without knowing in advance how you are going to conduct your review. A better way to start would be to pick a medium that is serialized and focus on each individual issue as it's own subject of review or choose something that is issued in individual volumes. Vol. 1, Vol. 2, etc. Or just pick a light novel and go with that. Of course you could review a web comic. It would just be very tedious.
I'm dumb enough to try to review a webcomic right the bat like that.

Seriously, since many webcomics are ongoing, it does give continuous material to post on a review thread for that webcomic. I also have an excuse to review in installments.
I know @Akinyi has a cute furry webcomic with a sweet girl's love plot. forums.furaffinity.net: New Girl Romance Furry Comic

Hmmm... Guess this means I'll have to keep my writing resolutions as well so you can review me someday.
This is more in the vein of what I was hoping for, more Fur Affinity creations. This will be towards the front of the list. I'm also not opposed to concurrent threads for different work, really.

And I hope you do keep your New Year's Resolutions. I enjoyed what little of your work I have seen and want more.

Also, perhaps I can review your work and give it the Unicon Bump. (This will be a thing.)
Okay, cool! :D

Not everyone likes Manga and that's perfectly understandable, considering some of them are drowning in cliché's and some have deep cultural references a LOT of foreigners don't know about let alone understand. Hell, sometimes it's just the different art style.

In terms of webcomics.. Well, there's Faux Pas.
www.ozfoxes.com: Fox Comics: Faux Pas

Very often only have 3 windows while telling its story, but generally updates 3 times a week(Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays). And have been an ongoing one for many years.

Then we have Bear Nuts.
bearnutscomic.com: Bear Nuts by Alison Acton » Archive » Page 01

Interesting art style, story, and characters. Have a couple of twists here and there, which is rather fun to read.

And finally Las Lindas, drawn by chalodillo.
laslindas.katbox.net: Las Lindas

It's about a cow who owns a farm, and the chaotic life going on there.
I mean, I'm not adverse to reading more manga. If there is manga with anthropomorphic characters that fits the bill, I'm willing to give them a try. Just be cognizant that it will take time from me to get a hold of copies possibly.

Initially when I started this, my approach for finding webcomics was:

1.) Put a call out for furry webcomic here.

2.) Type "webcomic" in the FA search engine.

I'm relieved all the webcomics are coming to me.

Last edited:

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I'll be getting this off the ground soon. I've started reading through a few of your suggestions and definitely wouldn't mind more.

C

CrookedCroc

If you have time for another book I recommend you "The sailor who fell from grace with the sea"

It has nothing to do with furries but it's really really good and the author is a very interesting individual

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
If you have time for another book I recommend you "The sailor who fell from grace with the sea"

It has nothing to do with furries but it's really really good and the author is a very interesting individual
I'll add it to my personal reading list which I'm still filling out and because I'm a sucker for philosophical novels. I don't I will be reviewing soon, however since I at least want to get a decent amount of anthropomorphic fiction reviews under my belt before reviewing more more mainstream literature here.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.