• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I'm not going to mince words: FA's support for stories/literature is atrocious.

HowlingDusk

So far, no furry site I've been to has anything close to decent as far as posting stories. I won't post my novels to FA because it's just plain garbage. SoFurry is where most of my watchers are because they actually "try" when it comes to story submissions, but even their upload process is convoluted, their text editor is horrible, and uploading screws up formatting.

I know artwork is where the majority of the focus goes and writing is more of an afterthought. But there obviously are people who enjoy reading, too.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
As far as .PDF format is concerned, I was told .PDF format makes people just move along and not read your works. They can't be arsed to download a file (three seconds of their life) so they look elsewhere. I honestly think it's the fact they're surfing from work or school and don't want to leave files behind to be found.

Text format sux because it blows up formatting and I'll be honest; FA could display inline .PDF files. My guess is nobody knows how to make the current coding do that smoothly. If it could be done, it would have already been done.

And, recently I tried putting .txt vesions of my latest tome (a few chapters) and you know, not one person asking for me to continue with the .txt format. Yeah. Just a few hits, too.

I find SF so much easier to format for and get something that somewhat readable.

Stratelier

And, recently I tried putting .txt vesions of my latest tome (a few chapters) and you know, not one person asking for me to continue with the .txt format. Yeah. Just a few hits, too.
But did you receive any requests for other formats (like PDF) ? Because otherwise I'm going to assume your sample size is too small to be useful.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
But did you receive any requests for other formats (like PDF) ? Because otherwise I'm going to assume your sample size is too small to be useful.
Up until recently, I only posted in .pdf format. There was a thread where the PDF format was being eschewed in favor of the .txt format, since it didn't require a download. My argument in favor of PDF was the story was formatted in the manner I wanted the reader to enjoy it. The foil to that stated nobody wanted to download a .pdf file and find out is wasn't what they wanted to read. The results I had were cumulatively, Chapters 1 and 2 in text format only netted 52 views. The original versions in PDF format garnered 222 views and as an aside, nobody left a comment as to whether they wanted me to continue to repost in .txt format.

So, yeah, that what the sample size was. I also still feel the complaint over .pdf format comes from people surfing from work or school and they don't want to leave breadcrumbs behind to be discovered.