• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I'm writing a "paper" on what a "furry" is... need feedback.

Fesworks

Hello. I'm compiling a paper on what a furry is... (though there are multiple) at least to me and my interpretations. This is far from being completed, and is heavily based on my opinions.

I am only up to the first part of my research as I go over different types of animal characters in art (so I have a long way to go).

My end goal is to differentiate the different types of Furries and such (especially the line between Yiffers and Furries), mostly as clarifications to non-furries.

I expect some drama, but I hope not too much from here. Like I said, this is mostly from my personal views and interpretations, since Furry Sub-Cultures have seemed to be quite divided during my knowledges of various groups.

Also, this first part (see attached document) does not even really get into much more than furry characters in art and literature.

Also, to answer the question of why I'm bothering to specify labels:

"Really, labels are not everything. However, sometimes people just love to wax philosophically… and argue… and sometimes people just have nothing better to do."

EDIT: I should clarify that I am not, nbor will ever claim to be "an authority" of the topic.

Last edited:

thebeast76

Just a friendly robot
Now, are you writing this for a school project?
Either way, I'd leave out certain bits like

Think Calvin & Hobbes, duh.

Other than that, I would consider making a table of contents, or a small syllabus to explain how the various ranges of anthropomorphism are arranged.

Fesworks

No, this is designed as a dissertation or thesis I'm just planning to put online.

I'm still doing research, and there is much to cover.

Part 1 is research and preliminary writing.

Part 2 is finding proper examples of everything.

Part 3 is finalizing outline, layout, and writing.

Part 4 is an additional goal to add visual example, but only things with permission, or Creative Commons or Public Domain items or parody of other copyrighted things.

Part 5 is an advanced goal to actually turn it into a sort of comic.

Fesworks

Oh! Also, I'm looking for people to help me find proper examples, especially webcomic examples. But really, as many examples people can find (literature, cartoons, movies, comics, webcomics, etc...) will be all the more helpful!

I'm hoping for active feedback when I post about things. I'm still a bit "on the outside" as far as Furry Fandom goes, so research is still a big part of this!

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
The first thing you will want to try to do is eliminate bias with your opinion. That means try to cover the topics without inflecting your own bias. I know that is hard to do since I've tried myself, multiple times.

Hmmm....I can send you something that might prove helpful. It's been a while since the piece was written and probably could stand to go through some changes since I've learned quite a bit between then and now. Look for a PM that I am sending your way.

Fesworks

The first thing you will want to try to do is eliminate bias with your opinion. That means try to cover the topics without inflecting your own bias. I know that is hard to do since I've tried myself, multiple times.

Hmmm....I can send you something that might prove helpful. It's been a while since the piece was written and probably could stand to go through some changes since I've learned quite a bit between then and now. Look for a PM that I am sending your way.
I'd prefer to be open in my position, so people are not suspicious of any angle and what not.

Also, what thing you sent me. Who is the author? Where was it posted? I'd need to properly credit it.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
I'd prefer to be open in my position, so people are not suspicious of any angle and what not.

Also, what thing you sent me. Who is the author? Where was it posted? I'd need to properly credit it.

The author is me. I posted it in my journal on Gaiaonline where I go by a different username.

You can find location here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/journal/journal.php?mode=viewarchive&post_id=17153991&u=1624666

I wrote it a while ago but I feel no reason to edit it since no one looks at journals anymore. If you are going to reference it I would prefer you to reference it by my Gaia username, and not my FA username.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
Will do!

Looks like I have a new sub-section to add. "Zoomorphic", as well as one or two other categories. My next update on this probably won;t happen until next week.

Ah, just a note. I went back and edited a few things here and there for relevancy and typos. So if you are going to reference it might be good to go to the original article with the slight, minor changes made.

sashadistan

Gone Hunting
I am currently writing my dissertation (on a cpmpletely seperate subject, though my VR work is on furry culture), and I think you hardest job is going to be to cite everything (since that is THE most important things for a dissertation). Also you really need to find some books on Anthropomorphic history and psycology. See if you can use World Cat which is an online listing for most libraries around the globe, and was really useful for my research. Tutors tend not to like too many internet references. Here's hoping that you get a nice tutor.

If you have any questions, fell very free to PM me, even just for general advice. I know what you're going through.

What exactly is your title, do you know yet?

Fesworks

Well, I should say that this is not for school of any kind, and I used the word "dissertation" for a lack of a better word ( i think), but yes, finding references... or more importantly, EXAMPLES, is going to be the hardest part. People like examples. Especially for the general audience, example reelating to cartoons, books, and movies are especially important.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
I think it would be prudent in your paper to point out that just because something they see fits what we call a "Furrie character", that does not mean it is in fact a furrie character.

If you have been on FA long enough you will see there is always an on-going debate between those who think it is perfectly find to label all anthro animals furries, and those who think it is not okay.

So you might tie that into it somehow so you don't end up with something accusing everything that is anthropomorphic and animal of being furries.

Also I saw read your thing, and to some degree all those terms you came up with listing from 1 to 15 are a bit, unnecessary? That is how it seems to me.

You need to make clear what the thesis of your paper is. One piece of advice I give my students is that if you haven't answered the question "Why should the reader care?" on the first page, you've lost them.

Fesworks

You need to make clear what the thesis of your paper is. One piece of advice I give my students is that if you haven't answered the question "Why should the reader care?" on the first page, you've lost them.

I suppose, since I'm posting it online, if someone came to the site, they'd care a little bit :p

But yea, you do have a good point ;) Thanks :)

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
I have to agree with Cassandra....I didn't pay attention to the lack of thesis due to how it is online but then again, it will look more professional, and better if you do have a easy to point out, well made thesis.

Quiet269

I wouldn't suggest you even attempt it :p

Seriously, it is soo many different things to soo many different people :(

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
I disagree with Quiet....I tend to do that a lot.

Anyway, if you want to put in the effort, than you go for it. You're at a good start anyway.

I suppose, since I'm posting it online, if someone came to the site, they'd care a little bit :p

But what drives traffic to your site? What is your intended audience?

If traffic will be driven only by links on pre-existing furry sites, then your information is redundant. If it will be linked in a way to attract non-furs, then what can you provide them? Will they care about minutia?

Target your writing, and it will hit its mark. Write for everyone, and no one will notice.

S

seekerwolf

What a furry is, same as any human being some dress, some don't, extention of ones desire to be something else i.e self expression.Nothing different than "ordinary" human beings same character flaws.

Fesworks

But what drives traffic to your site? What is your intended audience?

If traffic will be driven only by links on pre-existing furry sites, then your information is redundant. If it will be linked in a way to attract non-furs, then what can you provide them? Will they care about minutia?

Target your writing, and it will hit its mark. Write for everyone, and no one will notice.

The intent is for those who actually want some insight. People who are going to judge and "don't wanna hear otherwise" would not be my target. Why write for those that are closed-minded and want to cut people down based on stereotype, etc...

What a furry is, same as any human being some dress, some don't, extention of ones desire to be something else i.e self expression.Nothing different than "ordinary" human beings same character flaws.

That is yet another section I'd need to write, though my focus is moreso on art and fictional character portrayal. FurSuiters, and those that identify with their "animal-selves" (or something similar), is a different section.

Though re-reading your post, I'm not sure what you are specifically driving it... In art, Furry is also just another style of character medium. Like if someone did something on Aliens or Talking Appliances or Toys ;)

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
Hey...how is this going?

Fesworks

I have not had a chance to do any more writing, since I'm super busy with webcomicking and a number of website stuff.... among other offline things. However, with the suggestions that I have recieved, I'm going to essentially rewrite most of what I have written. Including fixing the intro to indicate the purpose, and also redoing my huge list into something more simple, and more easily digestible.

In short, I have a lot of mental writing I'm doing. I should probably hit more of this paper next week.