• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I'm writing a science fantasy setting based on Warhammer 40,000

I started writing an alternative setting to Warhammer 40,000 to get some of my friends who don't like grimdark into the hobby, and it turned furry. I'll go through individual races, but if people have ideas regarding the setting please share.

Galaxy has systems linked by hyperlanes built by the long dead precursors. The precursors faught a war amidst themselves, with one litteraly insane member building and detonating a bomb that killed the other members of his species, and turned the warp hellish.

Different races and factions have different FTL tech.
-Warp Travel
Highly unstable and unsafe, but no limitations on start or end point.
-Singularity Freefall drive
Reliable, but limited range. Some chance for incident.
-Hyperlane Travel
Safe, slow, and heavily restrictive. Lends to linear borders.

Humanity is led by a gifted psyion that declared himself the 2nd coming. Mars won the right to be secular by stabbing the radical lefties leading their indepence effort in the back. Well rounded weapons assortment, with pulse weapons being the standard issue. Explosively grew their empire, and incredibly xenophobic, barring certain heretical groups. Military is characterized by trading armor for light weight and ease of deployment via airlift/drop insertion. No armor for general infantry, outside of things like space marines. 4 core branches of military are Air/Void force, Marines, Army, and a limited Navy.

Will post more later. Feedback and ideas appreciated.

Le Chat Nécro

most thugged-out dope hoe
If you want a more noblebright (or at least a less grimdark) alternative to 40k, you might look into Starfinder. It's by Paizo who made Pathfinder and is basically Pathfinder... IN SPACE! Kind of like how 40k is Warmhammer Fantasy but IN SPACE! It does use the d20 system like DnD 3.5- which is inferior to Warhammer's d100 system imho- but it has a lot more room for customization and homebrewing in the setting than I feel that Warhammer does.

If you want a more noblebright (or at least a less grimdark) alternative to 40k, you might look into Starfinder. It's by Paizo who made Pathfinder and is basically Pathfinder... IN SPACE! Kind of like how 40k is Warmhammer Fantasy but IN SPACE! It does use the d20 system like DnD 3.5- which is inferior to Warhammer's d100 system imho- but it has a lot more room for customization and homebrewing in the setting than I feel that Warhammer does.

I use d&d 5e. But I was more building the setting with tabletop in mind. Could be used for either though.

Le Chat Nécro

most thugged-out dope hoe
I use d&d 5e. But I was more building the setting with tabletop in mind. Could be used for either though.
See, I personally get confused when someone uses "tabletop" because like, I would consider DnD or Pathfinder to be a tabletop roleplaying game, but those are very different then the 40k miniatures stuff that people also refer to as "tabletop". There needs to be an easier and more clear way of differentiating between 40k "tabletop" and 40k roleplaying (Dark Heresy, Black Crusade, Rogue Trader, etc).

But anyway, on topic, Good luck!