• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Inking/shading advice? [critique]

SinglePringle

Master of Procrastination
So as I continue in my process of learning digital art, I'm finding inking/coloring to be somewhat difficult. After I ink my sketches the quality of the art work seems to diminish and seem less professional.

Here's the most recent drawing I've made as an example https://www.furaffinity.net/view/39457920/. Critiques and advice would be much appreciated as I try to get myself situated in the art world and build my portfolio.

Thanks for your time and input!

TemetNosce88

Know Thyself
You might just need a little more contrast in your art somewhere. Your sketches seem to have a lot of variety and interest in line thickness and darkness, and I don't think that's coming over well in your finished line work. You might want to incorporate more of that in your finished work, or add some more noticeable shading.

In the piece you linked above, it looks like there is some shading on the characters, but it's very light and looks more like fur patterns. This gives it a very flat appearance which, along with the thinner and fainter line work, makes it kind of muted in appearance. Consider, too, that both characters are shaded at about the same level, but when you take the background into account, one is sitting in light and the other is in shadow. I think if you play around with that you might find something that you're happier with.

Hope that helps! Btw, your character design and anatomy look really good, and the poses have a nice fluidity to them.

RogueNoodle

toe bean enthusiast
I'm by no means a digital art expert! I've only been doing it for a few years, but I have been doing traditional art more seriously for much longer. I often refer to this tutorial for help when it comes to digital things. I'm not sure what programs/tools you use, but it provides a lot of good basics that may help you fine tune some things!

Another tip I find helpful is making sure I'm inking over the same portion of the sketch I'm doing (if that makes sense). I'm a messy sketcher so my lines tend to be thicker than how I really want them coming out. When this happens, it can lead to some wonkiness. Here's a good video that sort of explains this phenomenon:

It looks like you have a really good start though! I can tell you have some really confident lines, especially with your character on the right!

SinglePringle

You might just need a little more contrast in your art somewhere. Your sketches seem to have a lot of variety and interest in line thickness and darkness, and I don't think that's coming over well in your finished line work. You might want to incorporate more of that in your finished work, or add some more noticeable shading.

In the piece you linked above, it looks like there is some shading on the characters, but it's very light and looks more like fur patterns. This gives it a very flat appearance which, along with the thinner and fainter line work, makes it kind of muted in appearance. Consider, too, that both characters are shaded at about the same level, but when you take the background into account, one is sitting in light and the other is in shadow. I think if you play around with that you might find something that you're happier with.

Hope that helps! Btw, your character design and anatomy look really good, and the poses have a nice fluidity to them.
All right, thanks for the critique! It does help quite a bit X3

SinglePringle

I'm by no means a digital art expert! I've only been doing it for a few years, but I have been doing traditional art more seriously for much longer. I often refer to this tutorial for help when it comes to digital things. I'm not sure what programs/tools you use, but it provides a lot of good basics that may help you fine tune some things!

Another tip I find helpful is making sure I'm inking over the same portion of the sketch I'm doing (if that makes sense). I'm a messy sketcher so my lines tend to be thicker than how I really want them coming out. When this happens, it can lead to some wonkiness. Here's a good video that sort of explains this phenomenon:

It looks like you have a really good start though! I can tell you have some really confident lines, especially with your character on the right!
Ooh, I'm definitely gonna have to check those out