• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Instinctive Reactions, Fight or Flight reactions

Naesaki

JRPG Fanatic
So basically for this topic, have you ever done something on pure adrenaline or instinct and then realised a few minutes later the gravity of what you just did? As an example an act of heroism and such, or doing something on pure auto-pilot / impulse, acts of anger and loss of self control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While I was out waiting at the bus stop to go home, I saw this old woman on the other side of the road struggling to cross, this big van was speeding down and just barely stopped in front of her, this startles her to no end and causes her to fall face first to the ground, without even hesitating I ran over to help her, the guys in the van did not get out to help, out of the other 4 people at the bus stop, only one other guy ran over with me to help her up and see if she was alright, the rest just stood there and watched, and I'm like bloody move will you!?

I managed to get a look at the Van drivers and they were laughing their asses off, as soon as i helped the old woman onto the pavement, they sped off and acted like nothing happened, I didn't catch their license plate though, which irritated and upset me greatly.

The woman didn't thank either of us for the assistance, she just dusted herself off and went on her merry way like the entire situation didn't happen either, it was kind of surreal and weird at the same time, but I was glad I was able to help her, she was so close from smacking her head on the kerb and being inflicted with an even greater, potentially life threatening injury.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

-Sliqq-

Silo
Well those drivers must've sucked. I mean, unbelievably bad. Some people really do not care until something happens, then they begin understanding the gravity of the situations they put themselves through. It's still great that you helped the lady though. I'm sure she walked away grateful(despite the fact she just dusted off & kept moving)

So basically for this topic, have you ever done something on pure adrenaline or instinct and then realised a few minutes later the gravity of what you just did? Things like acts of heroism and such, or doing something on pure auto-pilot / impulse.

Since I have control of my adrenaline(which is strange enough on it's own), no. The only time I don't is when I'm pissed off.

-out of the other 4 people at the bus stop, only one other guy ran over with me to help her up and see if she was alright, the rest just stood there and watched, and I'm like bloody move will you!?

Have you ever heard of the Bystander Effect? It's like when a person kinda-sorta expects someone else to help them, & because everybody is thinking the same thing, nobody does anything. You should really look into that a bit more & reflect on it yourself, since it's more of a social theory than a fact.

Naesaki

JRPG Fanatic
Have you ever heard of the Bystander Effect? It's like when a person kinda-sorta expects someone else to help them, & because everybody is thinking the same thing, nobody does anything. You should really look into that a bit more & reflect on it yourself, since it's more of a social theory than a fact.

Yeah I've read up on the Bystander Effect a fair bit, I just never expected it to be like it was when something like that happened, the whole situation was more surreal than anything, Its only when I got home that I realised the danger I put myself in, there was nothing to stop another car coming from behind trying to get past since it was just a two-way road. I literally didn't think about it, all I saw was an old woman who fell to the ground, I couldn't tell right away if she banged her head or not, but thankfully she didn't.

Ryouzen

Vanguard of Solitude
Myself personally they aren't usually acts of heroism or in general good things when I act on instinct. Though to be fair part of that is because its when I lose control of myself (usually because I'm mad.).

I remember one recently when I came home to find that my dog had gone off and tried to jump through the window again. I hadn't been paying attention and she almost broke the window a second time and my dad came out and just started yelling at everyone about how bad my dog was. I kept myself from doing/saying anything for about 10-20 min before I snapped and started a fight with him. He of course yelled back and eventually he threatened to put down my dog because I was arguing with him (he's..something else to say the least). It wasn't until mom pulled us both apart because we actually got in a fight that I realized I may have just inadvertently threatened my dogs life despite the fact I was trying to defend her. Thankfully mom talked some sense into dad and he realized how wasn't going to be able to do it.

I believe this fits what your describing though a bit different circumstance. If not I apologize for making that mistake.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
For me I tend to have a "FIGHTRUNSCRAMbLEHOLYFUCK" moment.

Example, I was in my kitchen one day when someone went up to the screen door and shouted real loud, as I had my back turned. Now, this was a screen door. And I happened to have a bag of nasty garbage in my hand. My reaction was IMMEDIATE. I swung the bag around, threw it against the screen door, splashed him in garbage water, and ran halfway across the kitchen.

I am extremely jumpy. I don't sit and stare at calamities. I fucking REACT.

Another time I was helping close up shop and I accidentally tossed a stack of newspapers against the door, which triggered the alarm. I -launched- away from the building and was four steps into the parking lot before the boss lady even know what was going on. She was laughing her ASS off.

Naesaki

JRPG Fanatic
I believe this fits what your describing though a bit different circumstance. If not I apologize for making that mistake.

Just made an amendment to my original post, the thread isn't just for mentioning acts of heroism just for describing any events in which pure instinct, fear, flight or flight took over, I just find it a really interesting thing, the limit at which we will go to do something we never expected.

Volkodav

Dad****er
I'm a really jumpy person and people like to pull "pranks" on me that always involve jumping out and shouting or grabbing me. I used to just jump and then yell at them but it's progressed into immediately hitting them lolol

Misomie

Lazy Artist
I tend to have a rather fight oriented response. I do jump, like the time I practically teleported to prevent being hit by a car.

One time my sister and I were on a walk and her dog got loose and started heading towards the middle of the road (into oncoming traffic of course). I sped up and threw myself over him as a car passed by. It was so close that I felt the wind from the tires on my face.

Another time (when I was six and my sister four) my sister tried opening a drawer from the dresser, failed, and turned around. I slow-mo saw what was happening and ran up and caught the dresser right before it fell enough to hit her. She had to get our parent's help to put it back because I was only strong enough to hold it in place. That thing was heavy.

Another time I slipped on some algae and fell off a waterfall (or rather stream and cliff). I caught myself right away and called my dad and he almost slipped but was able to pull me back up (I was seven or eight).

Other times, adrenaline boots up my aggression. One time I got into a fist fight with my sister. Another time I broke one of my possessions while in pure rage mode. Stuff like that.

I have the impeccable ability to catch falling things - My old retail co-workers can attest to it! It's not like, unbelievable or surreal, but lightning quick reactions can impress people xD

Thaaat's about it.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I don't think this is quite the same as helping people in need but...

I kill spiders on sight. And I'm terrified of them. Like...irrationally so. Once I was closing up the garden area of a former place of employment and a Grey Recluse Spider (hella big and nasty and I think venomous) was scurrying across the floor. I instantly looked around for something to bash that fucker to death with. A bag of charcoal saved the day. It's very "fight".

In social situations though I'm more often to try to "waterbend" (a little nickname for going with the flow and worming my ideas into a person's head) the situation more than not. I think that's mosty based on "flight".

I guess we do different things based on the situation.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
I've always had an incredibly dull reaction time unless I'm hyped up on sugar and caffeine. I am a slowpoke, and I say that as an understatement. I'm the kind of guy you can point a gun at and mug without effort, because I will give you my wallet and I will be thinking "Wait, what just happened?" by the time you're two city blocks away.

And yes, it has happened before, except it was my bike that was stolen.

My auto-pilot only has one mode, and that's indifference.

That said, my immediate thought process when faced with what should be an emotionally intense situation is "eh" to a 15-second late "oh shit, what do?" At that point, flight isn't an option anymore. I am a fighter for that reason, and a very stubborn and stupid one at that. If shit is still going down and I'm not coughing out dust after the clearing, I can guarantee I will either do something brave, daring, or idiotic.

It's usually idiotic. The fam loves it, though.

Lomberdia

Selling bookmarks!
When started I am liable to punch you. I punch out of reflexes. I have socked my fair share of friends' noses when they thought it was a good idea to scare me. Now if I see danger coming I will react how I feel is right rather that be run or prepare to fight. There was a time at the college when I was walking to class outside and I hear some guy running full speed my direction. I stopped and prepared for him to try tackling me or something, then he simply runs pass me.

Thinking now....I tend to always just prepare to fight more than run. Dogs, people, anything I can reasonably fight against. If I don't think I can fight, I'll run but that doesn't happen often. Most folks won't pick a fight with a random guy that is 6' 1" and built like I am. I think I'm too violent for a guy my size but oh well lol.

If its something that puts me in immediate danger I flee or large spiders . both of those are flee , however if it affects someone else I'll always seem to watch the situation for 10-20 seconds before actually getting involved , I guess I'm just cautious naturally

Machine

Shrieking Possum Queen
My initial reaction to unexpected stimuli is to jump a considerable distance away from the source or beat the shit out of it.

Fatchaos

Perkele!
Back in army, I had just had a long training camp behind me, returning to barracks. Since I was a driver, where everyone else got to finally take a hot shower and get clean clothes after 2 weeks of mud-hugging, I got to drive to the food storage and return any food that was still good to store back. I had a two other privates with me, who were not drivers but during the camp they had watched and themselves operated the lift that was located on the back of my truck. Everything was smooth on that.

Then, when we I returned back to the storage, I started backing down with the truck while the other private was showing me how far to go. He made me park right next to the doors, in other words, I could not get the lift to lower because it takes some space to do so, so I wait for them to operate the lift like we agreed to. All I get are these "wut?" looks on their faces as they are literally banging the lift against the doors, wondering how they can solve this situation. All while ignoring the fact that I could just, if they told me to, drive that truck forward a bit. But no, they just derp with the lift controls and say nothing to me. So I shout to them asking what the hell is the problem. I go to check it out. And I cannot believe my eyes. Well, I bite my teeth and go to forward the truck. They start operating the lift, and then show me to back down again. I do so. Only to find out they, for some reason, lowered the lift instead of just tilting it, effectively putting the lift UNDER the little bump by the storage doors (it is supposed to go on TOP of the bump or otherwise you will have a very bumpy time hauling anything in or out of the truck). Again, they get their "wut?" looks.

At this point I had a... momentary loss of control, and I jumped (like a fucking ninja I swear) out of the truck, and slam the door shut as hard as I can. Now... I hear the sound of glass shattering. I slammed the door shut so hard it broke the door's window. Needless to say, this momentary loss of self control cost me a bit of extra work (cleanup and replacement of the window).

So, yeah. That. Do not lose your temper :V

Riltmos

Airship explorer
I don't think I ever get fight or flight reactions recently. I used to panic and run off to my mother because I keep seeing mundane things as something scary, like a coat hung up as a person, or something invisible clawing against my carpet. But now I am so used to it, it takes me forever to react to anything and by the time that happens, fight or flight doesn't take effect on me. Which I suppose is a good thing. Though I have taken some startled double takes from these, my favorite was instead of seeing some monster face looking in at me through the window, I saw a yield sign staring at me through the second story window for a brief second. I got startled and realized it wasn't there, and only about 10 seconds later I realized I got startled from a yield sign. It might have been a realistic fear if I were Hal Jordon though.