• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Interactive ref sheets?

Interested?

• Yes

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
I'm currently working on a video game and had a thought to maybe take commissions for interactive 3D refsheets. I think they'd come in handy for people who want an artist to really understand their character by being able to change the lighting, background, and clicking on an area of the character to get a color straight from the texture. Would any of you be interested in something like that? Because I wouldn't be making the models I was thinking I could import previous commissions ( with the original artist's permission of course ) into the ref sheet program. I was thinking of a price range from $25 to $50 but I'm not sure. Does this idea interest you?

rekcerW

Give it a whirl, why the hell not, it's all experience. Let me guess, Unity?

rekcerW

Yup. Unity is my favorite game engine. It gets a bad rap but as long as the end product looks good, who cares what game engine you use?
Well, if somebody wants to rag on something like that, then they should give making their own engine a shot and see how far they go.

I was about ready to jump out of a window trying to make a stupidly simple game work with OpenGL.

...and Ori and the Blind Forest was developed on top of Unity, so I'm always going to be sold on it.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Well, if somebody wants to rag on something like that, then they should give making their own engine a shot and see how far they go.

I was about ready to jump out of a window trying to make a stupidly simple game work with OpenGL.

...and Ori and the Blind Forest was developed on top of Unity, so I'm always going to be sold on it.
I still need to beat that game. And yeah there's plenty of great games made in it heh.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Well I've made a model viewer but I've hit quite a snag. I've been able to do everything I wanted to accomplish except being able to click on an area of the texture and getting a color and being able to move the character's bones. What do you guys think the price should be with this version? I know with flash going the way of the dodo it'd still be a handy program for sharing easily viewable models but I'm not sure about the price anymore.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
This concept sounds amazing. Once you've got an example or two I'd love to see them in order to make my final decision. :)

Regarding the above statement, part of having a ref sheet is so artists can have a color palette to directly pick from. So if they can't select colors, or so much as highlight the palette with the dropper icon, I'm not sure if it would he worth any price higher than $5.00 as - not only is it a mild coding request and not paying for any actual art - but the sheet wouldn't be serving one of it's two main purposes. If you found a way to make the palettes work, I'd personally be willing to pay $10.00 or $15.00 minimum for it...though that's solely due to a lack of examples. If it looks more impressive than what I'm imagining or just happens to be the most polished professional work ever, my max range that I'd be willing to do would fall around $30.00 to $60.00 if it REALLY blew me away and could guarantee a longevity for when flash kicks the bucket (such as implementing a more modern or reliable system).

Overall I wish I had anything better to say, but I don't. I don't know enough about template creation to give a more educated answer, this is just stated via basic amounts of experience with rp forum templates and other things of that nature. So take all of this with a grain of salt.

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
There isnt a whole lot of people offering what your doing. Go ahead and name your own price. Just be fair about it.
Charge for time quality and effort and a little extra to compensate for the cost of learning the program.
I'd think 70$ at the lowest, im sure you can charge much much higher if the product is good.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
This concept sounds amazing. Once you've got an example or two I'd love to see them in order to make my final decision. :)

Regarding the above statement, part of having a ref sheet is so artists can have a color palette to directly pick from. So if they can't select colors, or so much as highlight the palette with the dropper icon, I'm not sure if it would he worth any price higher than $5.00 as - not only is it a mild coding request and not paying for any actual art - but the sheet wouldn't be serving one of it's two main purposes. If you found a way to make the palettes work, I'd personally be willing to pay $10.00 or $15.00 minimum for it...though that's solely due to a lack of examples. If it looks more impressive than what I'm imagining or just happens to be the most polished professional work ever, my max range that I'd be willing to do would fall around $30.00 to $60.00 if it REALLY blew me away and could guarantee a longevity for when flash kicks the bucket (such as implementing a more modern or reliable system).

Overall I wish I had anything better to say, but I don't. I don't know enough about template creation to give a more educated answer, this is just stated via basic amounts of experience with rp forum templates and other things of that nature. So take all of this with a grain of salt.
Well I could add a static pallete in the bottom half of the screen no problem. And I was thinking of customizing buttons and backgrounds depending on the style of the comm requested. Like a futuristic one would have scifi font or a historical character would have historical typefaces. I could easily add a background as well such as a cave if someone had a file for it. Anyways here's a photo of the prototype:

screen_shot_2020_05_05_at_10_02_24_am_by_ovithedragon_ddwhpfq-pre.jpg

There isnt a whole lot of people offering what your doing. Go ahead and name your own price. Just be fair about it.
Charge for time quality and effort and a little extra to compensate for the cost of learning the program.
I'd think 70$ at the lowest, im sure you can charge much much higher if the product is good.
I'm pretty new everything so I want to charge a price that is level with my skills.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
And if I wanted I could add a second window with a description of the character's likes and dislikes like some refsheets. That'd take me no time at all.