• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Interesting aspects about your characters

Dragonfurry

(•_•)(•_•)>⌐■-■(⌐■_■)
Is loyalty to his friends, love, and his lovers a good aspect?

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
Perfect end line of a book, "And then they got boring, the end."
Or possibly, "And then they got boring. Later they died. The end."

Someone pointed out that it is medically impossible for one to live "happily ever after" if the character survives for more than a few hours or days (depending on your definition of "happy.") The neurochemicals responsible for happiness can only stay in the system for so long, and eventually the receptors become numb to them, causing dysphoria. So if characters are really "happily ever after," it means they were suddenly and unexpectedly killed just after the story ended.

"Boringly ever after" is much more accurate, as the end of the story indicates that there is nothing more of interest about the life of the character. At the end of the Penumbra series
the hallucinated voice of a dead character points out to the player character that nothing they will ever do in life will be as exciting or important as what they've just done, and encourages them to commit suicide rather than face the dullness of an ordinary existence. The character can, as a valid game ending, chose to do so.

Rekkatun makes unfortunate (or fortunate) things happen to innocent people by manipulating fate, and is exceptionally skilled at laying curses, jinks, and hexes onto people and inanimate objects. She struggles with a drug and alcohol addiction, and often has negative thoughts about herself and her race due to her species' fucked up history (and the fact that her oldest brother killed their youngest sister for political reasons). She secretly wants to be a member of a well-liked nation and people, but knows that such a wish is next to impossible to grant. This self-loathing has caused her to sever all ties with her race.

She tries to be a decent person, but her blunt personality coupled with her unintentional anti-social behavior makes Rekkatun a difficult person to like, get along with or understand; the motives behind some of her actions are even harder to make sense of. Her immense physical strength, quick temper, vicious visage, and bodily appearance don't do her any favors with "normal" individuals in the land where she lives. Just her people's reputation as incredibly violent junkies, failures and warmongers alone is enough to make others remain wary of her.

Rekkatun does have positive qualities: She can be caring when she wants, and will actually put in a considerable amount of effort to make a friendship last provided that her partner is willing to put up with her occasional "quirks". She likes reading books (i.e. looking at the pictures due to her inability to actually read), and also likes carving small figurines out of wood with her claws. She also seems to have a natural affinity for understanding and dealing with wildlife.

/You know now that I think about it, I think she may have too many negative character traits.

Last edited:

Echo Wolf

In a process that I find strange, I have a character that shares my online name. I never really intended for it to become associated with a character but strangely enough it has, without me really realizing it happened for a while. From what I have come to understand he's basically a hired gun; he's mostly a body guard for high value targets seeing as how he prefers not to get involved in foreign affairs. As for physical aspects he has a noticeable scar on his right eye from a glance from a bayonet, his eye is still intact, and a scar from a bullet right below his heart, he never talks about what or when it happened. Strangely enough from what I can tell he's around 5'8 feet tall.

With my fursona, a Paso Fino named Rico, it would probably be that he's Borinquen; other than that he's relatively normal. He's definitely the one I relate to the most; same personality quirks and such.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
Expanding on this, it's actually difficult for OP characters to really be good guys. Think about it, if superman took a bullet for you, how much of a fuck would you really give? I mean shit, he's Superman. It cost him fucking nothing to do that. It'd be a dick move *not* to take the bullet. If, on the other hand, the dude sitting next to you on the subway took the hit, you'd owe him for the rest of your life. He'd be a saint, because he seriously could have lost his life. He sacrificed something. Super demigod characters can't make sacrifices or take risks. They can have some conflicts, they can have setbacks, but they don't have the same credibility as the trials of a character that you know could be crushed every time they pick up the sword. There are characters where for every time they pick a fight or take on a challenge, it has to be something they're ready to die for, because they could. Their actions show a deep, undying commitment to uphold their ideals at any cost, even if it destroys them.

Meanwhile, the most the superman/demigod characters can show is that they're willing to scratch their ass and shrug their shoulders for justice. What does saving a life mean when it only takes about as much effort as getting up to get a beer?

For superhuman characters you really have to go beyond the physical to make them interesting. A special-ops sniper fur who doubles as an assassin and is extremely attractive can still be interesting so long as they have SOMETHING about them that makes them complex. And I don't mean a tragic backstory or manic-depression or social anxiety or any of that crap either. Something like Rain Man where they're only capable of doing that one special thing and they're entirely useless outside of that for instance. It'd be heartwrenching to see someone complete some difficult sniper challenge but be completely incapable of navigating the roads home after they get seperated from their unit because they can't interact with people and are broken from their usual habits. Or they go home with their unit but have to sleep with a blanky every night fully aware of how everyone else sees them. The character needs to be placed in a situation outside of their control where they need to overcome a personal weakness in order to succeed.

Little Ghost

>lo que implica
Somnium is a dream walker. As a matter of fact, his full name, Somnium Vectate, translates literally to 'dream travel,' or at least that's what Google Translate says.

Ramses

Ramses once posted on facebook that he "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs" - and then realized that a parsec is a unit of distance, not time.
He has since apologized to all his nerd friends.

S

Sar

Mines can do derpy stuff if you give hir chocolate. It's like hir catnip./

Moss

Crazy Cat Lady
Mental- She fears failure beyond belief and it usually leads her to giving up half way through something when she feels it ain't good enough. Or she just might not try.
Physical- She has gauged earlobes along with many-a-piercings on her body.
Abilities- She can suck down a Slurpee in less than a minute, eat a burger in just as little time. If that counts. xD

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever
Someone's complaining about Mary Sue characters? Well, I'm about to Mary Sue the fuck out of this thread.

My main fursona's an ordinary panther with red irises. Except he can turn into a human. And he has wings. And he can do magic. And punch holes in walls. And wield a flaming sword. And play a guitar. And drink heavily.

My fursona spent most of his childhood adopted by humans, living in a shitty neighborhood in an abusive family where his "father" drank too much, and the whole world went to shit. In his adult years he learned that he was a member of a species from a parallel universe, where creatures lived that were worshipped as gods by ancient humans (and are where human myth comes from, kinda). He also has powers that manisfested in his early adulthood as they do for his species.

He can fly, do different elemental and dark magic spells, and he has strength somewhat greater than humans due to his animalish build. His spells focus on lightning, wind, and fire. He can teleport short distances. He carries a pair of swords that flame most of the time. He could be called overpowered but in a future world where power suits and augmentation is starting to give humans more power he kinda fits in.

However, he's pissy, a bit narssisic, cynical, misanthropic, and sadistic. Because of his upbringing and other events he kinda hates everyone. When his powers started manisfesting the government tried to kidnap him to make more of him for their own use, and thus he's a wanted man. As a victim of abuse as a child, as a victim of bullying, and being outcast from society due to his wanted status, he sees humanity as filled with evil people that he has decided, since no god's fixing anything, he's going to go out and fix the world himself, one body bag at a time. He has no problem beating up and even killing those he sees as being evil, and he will even inflict pain on the wicked to make them feel the same fear and dispair they inflicted on their victims.

Eventually though the stresses of his actions get to him, and he starts to feel remorse and depression, which is when he starts drinking and smoking. A small side of him wishes he had someone to love, to cuddle, so maybe some of his negativity would go away.

Edit: Oh, and he also sings and plays guitar in a metal band. They actually aren't very creative and never write their own material, they just do covers of metal songs by other bands at local underground venues, so they're probably never going to make it big time.

Last edited:

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
For superhuman characters you really have to go beyond the physical to make them interesting. A special-ops sniper fur who doubles as an assassin and is extremely attractive can still be interesting so long as they have SOMETHING about them that makes them complex. And I don't mean a tragic backstory or manic-depression or social anxiety or any of that crap either. Something like Rain Man where they're only capable of doing that one special thing and they're entirely useless outside of that for instance. It'd be heartwrenching to see someone complete some difficult sniper challenge but be completely incapable of navigating the roads home after they get seperated from their unit because they can't interact with people and are broken from their usual habits. Or they go home with their unit but have to sleep with a blanky every night fully aware of how everyone else sees them. The character needs to be placed in a situation outside of their control where they need to overcome a personal weakness in order to succeed.

Well, you don't really want to have a token weakness. That's the problem with a lot of these characters, even. You can have an extraordinary person, but they should still be a person. "Oh but he/she's bi-polar" is exactly that sort of thing. It's throwing on some sort of supposedly crippling weakness just to make the character "more relatable" like your some sort of machine building characters from a code. Savant characters can be good sometimes, but they make poor main characters and as "fursonas" and such they almost always come across as special snowflakes.

Personally, I think characters should have moral failings. Things where they just suck, not because they're handicapped by factors out of their control, but because they suck as people. Even more than physical/mental ability, that can save a character from being Mary Sue. You don't need to have a character be crippled or mentally unstable to make them human, you just need to have them show greed, wrath or cowardice. You can show that for all of their accomplishments and skills, they're not really all that different from the rest of us.

Someone's complaining about Mary Sue characters? Well, I'm about to Mary Sue the fuck out of this thread.

Come with me out behind the shed.

We can fix this right now.

Last edited:

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
I think what I mentioned was more a token strength than a token weakness. Anyway, you also have to consider multiple characters too. On their own a lot of characters can fall flat but if paired with others they really shine because when they're good they get the spotlight and when they're not so great, someone else is there to cover for them. A sparklefur could be comic relief, a mcguffin, a love interest, or whatever for other more rounded characters. I like to call it De La Rocha Syndrome.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
It's token weakness for an otherwise strong character. You have a "James Bond" type deadly womanizer character, but gave him a crippling disorder. The thing is you can have James Bond type characters, but 1) if you have one as your fursona you come off as an egotistical fuckwad and 2) they tend to either be in silly/cheesy stories (Like James Bond) or they have moral failings and have to struggle with being good people. A good pairing is often to have a weak but morally good character (like a child) paired up with someone who is a Han Solo type badass with some serious ethical shortcomings.

It's also worth noting that you kind of have to be more careful with "fursona" like characters, because they tend to be heros by default. They are singular characters, created outside of a story. They're basically a main character, and as anyone who's studied film can tell you, "Jesus makes a terrible main character."

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
http://youtu.be/xlmE3z2_qy8

Idk, he sounds like an interesting character there.

Yeah, fursonas are really a solo act I guess. That's why I made mine basically a scuzzy, slightly unhinged, barely functioning heroin addict. I'm scared I'm treading in too much the opposite direction though since I don't have a lot of character examples to go on. Not many main characters are made "too bad".

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
There's also something to be said for not making anti-sues, which admittedly I did with my character for a long time. He's only recently gone from "broken sociopathic wreck" to "genuinely good person with some admittedly major skeletons in his psychological closet."

Now he's someone you could have a beer with, but maybe not your first choice to be stranded in the woods with.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
I've been trying to avoid that too. I have him a job, I made him a functional addict, but I don't feel like it's enough.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
Well, why did he get a job? What motivated him to try to rise above his addiction? Did he fall in love? Is someone relying on him? Does he feel ashamed?

Characters like that work best if they have some sort of internal conflict of two opposing forces. Id vs Ego and the like. Clearly he has poor impulse control and powerful element of his personality is easily swayed by basic wants. To counteract that, he needs some sort of nobler desire. He needs an equally powerful reason to want to be better.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
The drug is basically his alternative to a relationship and is kind of a metaphore for an abusive relationship. He doesn't see anything wrong with drug use and justifies his addiction with the fact that it lets him escape from life every day. He holds a job and tries to socialize in an attempt to prove the drug doesn't control him while on the other hand he refuses to open up to people for fear they might find out about his problem. He maintains that he can quit anytime he wants, and actually has in the past to prove his point, but he inevitably goes back to the needle. Not so much because he's addicted as he just can't stand dealing with everyday life in a sober state of mind.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
So he has a point to prove. He wants to prove that he's a functional and responsible individual, but isn't really willing to face the root of the problem.

That really is what addiction is, by the way. When you can't face the world without something, that's addiction. Of course, it would be typical addict behavior to blame the world.

To make a balanced character, you need to show that he does have some nobler ambitions. At some level, he knows what a better person would do, and wants to be that person. This desire is opposed by his powers of self-deception and apathy.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
Therein lies the problem, I run into this brick wall of "he wants to change his ways because..." This is often a problem with real heroin addicts too. They don't have a family or threw them away long ago, they don't have any real friends, usually they're working dead-end jobs if they even have jobs, they're broke, there's really no reason to quit. They're broken individuals and even if they get off the drugs there's lots of pieces to pick up, too many for them to ever really be normal. Also, if weed is a gateway drug, smack is the dead end. People don't just start doing needles because it's being passed around at a party, it's usually the end result of years of self-abuse. Also, as icing on the cake, heroin withdraw is the most severe of any drug out there.

In light of all that I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason why he would want to quit without shoehorning in a plot device, love interest, etc.

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever
Come with me out behind the shed.

We can fix this right now.

Um I don't think sex behind the shed is going to fix anything, besides everyone is watching. It's embarrassing. :V

Percy

o-o
I just discovered my fursona's ability to mesmerize people who look into his eyes and ears.

Two people have admitted such.

Kaiser

What the Hell I'm doing here?
If someone argues with me/my fursona will recieve such possitive answers made up of logic that he will be trolling himself in a manner of speech :I

I just discovered my fursona's ability to mesmerize people who look into his eyes and ears.

Two people have admitted such.

But... aww dammit... u_u